Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPH charging speeds for mobile connector 14-50 at 32 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a 14-50 NEMA outlet with 6/3 wire and a 60 amp breaker (in case I want to go to a wall connector). The best speed I get is 27mph at 32 amp. It seems like everyone else is getting right at 30mph. Am I missing something, or is this “within specs”? I have a 2022 MYP.

I recently installed a 14-50 NEMA outlet with 6/3 wire and a 60 amp breaker (in case I want to go to a wall connector). The best speed I get is 27mph at 32 amp. It seems like everyone else is getting right at 30mph. Am I missing something, or is this “within specs”? I have a 2022 MYP.
What is the starting battery charge, and what is your max set to?

Its likely "within spec" as that is also going to depend on what voltage your setup is running at when charging. Its close enough that my guess is going to be your voltage is a little lower.

That setup doesnt sound up to spec (50amp recepticle on a 60 amp breaker) but we wont get into that. How many volts does it say when you are charging? Something more like 208v or 240v ?
It does say usually around 243. it never drops below 32amps. I have since removed the 60amp breaker in replaced it with a 50amp. If I ever decide to go with a wall charger I’ll be bump it up again.

Thanks to all for the comments. I checked it again last night and it is charging at 8 kWh at 32 amps which never drops. I have since dropped my charging amps to 30 amps and get right at 26 mph. It seems like it is “within specs” so I will go with that. I have been a member of many forums in the past, but this is my first EV forum, it’s great to be here And thanks for your help.

No one is getting 30 miles per hour added to the Tesla Model Y when charging at 240V and 32 amps. Tesla states "Up to 29 miles of range added per hour while charging" I charge this way at home (240V and 32 amps) using a third party EVSE. My home voltage is usually at or below ~238V while charging at 32 amps. I consistently getting between 25 and 26 miles per hour added while charging.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Mine is charging at 30 mph right now. Intersting because it’s the same 14-50 UMC I used to charge my Model S which typically charged at 32a and 23-24 mph. I’ve assumed that’s because the heavier MS usually used around 300 wh/mile whereas I suppose the Y requires less. My experience in brief ownership so far is the range estimate in the Y isn’t as accurate as the S. I hope that improves with usage.

Attachments

• A898FA5A-8FE7-4534-BAD2-C3003C66B32C.png
    A898FA5A-8FE7-4534-BAD2-C3003C66B32C.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 267
Same car. I have a 50Amp breaker and I get 28mph at 32 amps using mobile 14-50 Tesla.

Thanks to all for the comments. I checked it again last night and it is charging at 8 kWh at 32 amps which never drops. I have since dropped my charging amps to 30 amps and get right at 26 mph. It seems like it is “within specs” so I will go with that. I have been a member of many forums in the past, but this is my first EV forum, it’s great to be here And thanks for your help.
Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

Volts and amps are what we need.

240 volts * 32 amps = 7,680 watts = 7.68 kW

7.68 kW * 1 hour --> 7.68 kWh came out of the "wall". 7.68 kW * 2 hours = 15.36 kWh
Multiply units and values.

Who cares about "miles per hour" for charging? I have no Tesla but on my 4th BEV (across 3 different automakers) and have been driving BEVs as my primary car for over 9 years. None have anything in their UI about miles per hour for charging. For ages, that was a very Tesla-centric thing.

Wall Connector are based upon unpublished (AFAIK) constants and notice the asterisk. And, there have been so many variations of each model since they've been introduced.

Batteries don't contain miles. They contain energy measured in kWh. How many miles you achieve on a given amount of energy can be measured by miles per kWh or watt-hours per mile (Wh/mile).

If you want to charge faster then you want to install a 48 amp EVSE on a 60 amp circuit.

Last edited:
Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

Volts and amps are what we need.

240 volts * 32 amps = 7,680 watts = 7.68 kW

7.68 kW * 1 hour --> 7.68 kWh came out of the "wall". 7.68 kW * 2 hours = 15.36 kWh
Multiply units and values.

Who cares about "miles per hour" for charging? I have no Tesla but on my 4th BEV (across 3 different automakers) and have been driving BEVs as my primary car for over 9 years. None have anything in their UI about miles per hour for charging. For ages, that was a very Tesla-centric thing.

Wall Connector are based upon unpublished (AFAIK) constants and notice the asterisk. And, there have been so many variations of each model since they've been introduced.

Batteries don't contain miles. They contain energy measured in kWh. How many miles you achieve on a given amount of energy can be measured by miles per kWh or watt-hours per mile (Wh/mile).

If you want to charge faster then you want to install a 48 amp EVSE on a 60 amp circuit.
In addition you need to include a factor for charging overhead; all of the power, i.e. 7.68kW does not get stored in the battery as there are charging losses from heating the wiring and power conversion losses. Additionally not all of the power stored in the battery is recovered when drawn from the battery. I assume 90% overall charging efficiency for net result of 6.92kW. The Tesla vehicle charging screen only reads out in 1 kWh increments, i.e. 7kW in this example. My lifetime Wh/mile stands at 265Wh/mi. 7kW charging rate X 1 hour / .265kWh/mi = 26.4 miles of range added per hour when charging. (This does not include any additional power used for the climate control, etc.)

Reactions: cwerdna
Not your question, but while 6/3 NM-B (Romex) is rated for 55 amps and can be fed by a 60 Amp breaker, a 60 Amp breaker on a 14-50 outlet is not correct. Also, when you switch to a wall connector, you'll need to set it to a 50A breaker/ 40 Amps max charge current anyway. The 60A/48A setting is not correct for the wire rating.

A noob question for new Y owner : I have got the mobile connector which draws 32A max, right? And I also have a Toyota Prime, and its charger only draws 12A max. So, would it be safe to run them both on a dedicated 50A circuit (since the 32A+12A < 50A) ?? Would it run into any risks of fire?

A noob question for new Y owner : I have got the mobile connector which draws 32A max, right? And I also have a Toyota Prime, and its charger only draws 12A max. So, would it be safe to run them both on a dedicated 50A circuit (since the 32A+12A < 50A) ?? Would it run into any risks of fire?
I was in your same situation (I actually bought a 240/16A charger for the Prius and kept the 12A one in the trunk). I charged both together all the time until I realized I was pulling 48A from a 50A circuit. I did that for over a year didn't have any issues, but from a safety stand point decided not to keep doing it.

I gave the Prius priority since it always needed charging. One thing you can do is tell your Y to charge at 24A (or in your case 28A) instead of 32A to keep the circuit at 80% rate amps (you're not supposed to pull more than 40A on a 50A circuit).

I was in your same situation (I actually bought a 240/16A charger for the Prius and kept the 12A one in the trunk). I charged both together all the time until I realized I was pulling 48A from a 50A circuit. I did that for over a year didn't have any issues, but from a safety stand point decided not to keep doing it.

I gave the Prius priority since it always needed charging. One thing you can do is tell your Y to charge at 24A (or in your case 28A) instead of 32A to keep the circuit at 80% rate amps (you're not supposed to pull more than 40A on a 50A circuit).

Thanks for your input. That's why I would stay with the Toyota OEM charger which is limited at 12A, so I should be facing 44A max when charging both at the same time. But I will try avoiding hitting that max limit by charging them at different scheduled times, or charging them at a lower amp setting. For Prime, I think it can be set at 8A and Tesla can set at 20A or 16A depending on my needs.

When you were charging both together, have you ever touched the outlet or wires to feel the temp before?