Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Coilovers AWD/Performance Owners in NorCal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Are there any MPP coilovers for Model 3 AWD/Performance owners in Northern California? Either in Sacramento or Bay Area? Either comfort or sport coilovers.

If possible, I'd really like to experience how they feel before spending $2-3K on them. I have a set of H&R springs that I'm not yet ready to install before experiencing these MPP's. Thanks for any help with MPP owners out there.

Reactions: bcpm3p
so far so good - I've onlly had the one track session (not day session) so I can't tell you if/how it improved on track

my perception is as follows:

1. the car seems less "bouncy" in normal street driving
2. the ride is certainly not worse
3. some bumps w/turns that I commonly encounter in my daily driving are handled better w/spirited driving vs. the OEM shocks

so my subjective observations are they have certainly not made the car worse - I believe they are in fact better - and in one or two particular places on the road the car seems to handle the road better and with less drama…

one place in particular is the hwy on ramp transition from HWY 17 south to HWY 1 South in Santa Cruz - there is a long sweeping curve and two lanes - 1 inside and 1 outside - if you take the outside lane about 2/3rd of the way through the corner there is a transition from normal road to the bridge/overpass - this transition has a slight on-camber elevation change as you move from the road to the bridge - with the OEM shocks and some spirited driving hitting this "bump" the car would lift, shift, and land and scoot forward like a shot cause ya'know EV power & torque - while it wasn't dangerous the car was a bit unsettled in this transition but never in a really awful way - just in a way that I would notice…

since installing the new shocks - there is now zero drama at this particular road location - I've done it multiple times (I often drive that route) - the car no longer lifts at the bump, and there is now zero shift -and no perceptible landing - it's just "absorbs" the bump and elevation change and charges forward almost like there is no transition in the road at all - it's definitively better.

Full disclosure I have the MPP Sports Coil Overs + rear suspension bits for greater aligntment options - and I now have a more track oriented alignement on the car - so I can not speak to which of the changes have improved things and by what percentage - but the combination of the shocks and the alignment have made the car better.

I now have my replacement brake pads on the car so I'm looking forward to my next track date where I can take the car out and evaluate it again and hopefully my brake pads last more than one session this time.

Last edited:
one place in particular is the hwy on ramp transition from HWY 17 south to HWY 1 South in Santa Cruz - there is a long sweeping curve and two lanes - 1 inside and 1 outside - if you take the outside lane about 2/3rd...

I know the spot exactly.
I’m thinking seriously about the Ohlins/Redwood coilovers, for a few reasons, not the least of which is they are right here in the Valley and offer installations corner balancing etc...

..I believe they are in fact better - and in one or two particular places on the road the car seems to handle the road better and with less drama…

one place in particular is the hwy on ramp transition from HWY 17 south to HWY 1 South in Santa Cruz - there is a long sweeping curve and two lanes - 1 inside and 1 outside - if you take the outside lane about 2/3rd of the way through the corner there is a transition from normal road to the bridge/overpass - this transition has a slight on-camber elevation change as you move from the road to the bridge - with the OEM shocks and some spirited driving hitting this "bump" the car would lift, shift, and land and scoot forward like a shot cause ya'know EV power & torque - while it wasn't dangerous the car was a bit unsettled in this transition but never in a really awful way - just in a way that I would notice…

since installing the new shocks - there is now zero drama at this particular road location - I've done it multiple times (I often drive that route) - the car no longer lifts at the bump, and there is now zero shift -and no perceptible landing - it's just "absorbs" the bump and elevation change and charges forward almost like there is no transition in the road at all - it's definitively better...

What an excellent description along with the accompanying maps view of the location. I've driven similar sweeping curves I think near 680/80/Napa junctions and understand the unsettled transitions.

Sorry I can't offer any rides, I'm on the East Coast, but I can tell you that there is no loss of comfort going with the Sport coilovers. If anything it actually is more comfortable than stock eliminating a lot of the factory suspension's impact harshness even at a 10C/8R setting which is stiffer than their recommended 12C/10R setting. I'm going to write a full review soon.

All I can do is smile now every time I take a corner hard and am able to get on the power sooner and with more confidence.

Team,

I can say today that it is no longer subjective that the MPP Sport's shock/coil over upgrades are vast improvement over OEM. How can I make this claim you ask.

MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers AWD/Performance | Mountain Pass Performance

Well we did an A/B test with my 2018 Model 3P vs. another 2018 Model 3P - mine has the upgrades, the other Model 3P was factory stock. We took multiple runs in both cars on the same stretch of road - and swapping passenger/driver duty. In all cases the MPP Shocks are a noticible improvement in ride quality and handling from both the drivers seat and passenger seat - across the board upgrade.
  • less body roll
  • greater dampening over bumps
  • side to side transitions are less dramatic
  • less dive/recovery under heavy braking conditions
Across the board the fellow forum member that rode with feels the upgrades are vast improvement - his terms are much more BMW/Porsche like in ride quality - with the power/torque and performance of a Model 3 - these upgrades put the Model 3P in a class of best 4 door performance sedans on the market.

I can highly recomend the MPP Sports shocks upgrades - it WILL improve your Model 3's performance, handling and ride quality. I just spent 2 hours transitioning between the two cars on the same stretch of road, and there is no question the upgrade has made the car better.

I have included the google link of our "test circuit" and those that recongize it will attest to:
  • twisty
  • bumpy
  • poorly maintained
  • narrow
  • pot holes
  • bumps
  • gaps
  • tree roots
  • man hole covers w/bumps
  • hairpin turns
  • elevation changes
there is no longer any question in my mind! Probably the best upgrade you can add to the Model 3 other than the Wireless phone charger pad from Nomad.

Google Maps

please note on your order: dortor4ev sent you - I'm angling for a discount/comp on some additional equipment from @MountainPass and would like credit for driving business their way - MPP has NOT endorsed or paid me for this annoucment and they DO NOT KNOW about this request ;) - but maybe if they see enough additonal business as a result of my generous endorsement and an up tick in business they might be nice to me! LOL

Questions and comments are welcome.

Last edited: