TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by WhiteStarSal, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Skione65

Skione65 Member

#361 Skione65, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    @dfwatt,

Looks like Hankook Ventus V12’s. Nice rims as well. I like them.

Ski

2. Eltroneus

Eltroneus New Member

Yes staggered, here is the setup.

Wheels:
    HRE FlowForm FF01 Wheel Package for 2018 Tesla Model 3
    Size: Front - 20x9.5 +35ET (Flat Face), Rear - 20x10.5 +45ET (Concave Face)

Tires:
    255/30/20 275/30/20 Hankook Ventus

3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Looks good.
    Confirm that they installed everything properly. Besides messing up the install, and then installing it too low, they missed a rear rubber isolator on my install.

4. Eltroneus

Eltroneus New Member

Ok, will do. I'm going to go back and raise it back up to just about .25 - .5 inches under stock height as I need the clearance on the streets.

• Like x 1
  5. BYE FSL

BYE FSL Member

I am very happy with my new Comfort Coilovers from Mountain Pass Performance and KW. VERY happy. The car is definitely more comfortable and better handling than stock.

They were installed yesterday at West End Alignment in Gardena, CA, which I also highly recommend. Chris is fanatical, meticulous, prompt, and communicative.

The vibrations coming into the cabin are reduced. “Muted” is the word that immediately came to mind. “Muffled“ may apply. I was aiming at road defects and smiling.

It is quieter. Sound is vibration, so less vibration means less noise in the cabin. I never heard anyone say that. It was a surprise to me.

It clearly corners much better, with less body roll. Clearly. More smiles. The flatter cornering adds to the comfort as well as the excitement. I don’t know why MPP doesn’t claim this. There must be ways to measure it so they can. If there’s no app for that, how about a bowl of water on the floor, and measure the spill?

Of course it looks better. It looks right. My installer agreed with the MPP height recommendation. Mine are set a few mm above the MPP recommendation to allow for slight settling.

The stock setup was annoying. Now my M3P rides like the German cars I am used to. The only downside besides the time and money is that I will probably wear out my tires faster now that it corners better.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

If you have any nice photos of your car, we would love to add it to our customer's builds/testimonials section. Glad to hear you love your car even more than before, that's our goal!

7. cyoma

cyoma Member

Any body from Minneapolis area, installed this, willing to provide a test ride ?

8. Eltroneus

Eltroneus New Member

How low do you have yours set at?

9. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

So you have the Dual Motor Performance version correct? With the stock 20 inch wheels? It sounds like you experience the car as somewhat better isolated in terms of the small grain and harshness of the road? How about over larger impacts? I'm toying with the idea of getting the Comfort coilovers for my wife's car. I have the sports coilovers on mine which I love, but that's overkill for her. Getting better ride and handling if that's possible while fixing the ride height issue seems worth it. Do you have any pictures that you would feel comfortable posting? Thanks in advance!

10. hocr

hocr Member

Anyone in the Bay Area willing to give a test ride on the comfort or sports? :)

11. zhu-

zhu- Member

@BYE FSL Does the car also dip and dive less on hard braking/accelerating with the MPP comforts?

Does ride height also affect how stiff they are or is that constant?

12. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

The ride height doesn't affect the ride unless you are at the extremes of adjustment

13. Lucy903

Lucy903 Member

Anyone interested on a brand new never been installed still in the box KW variant 3 for a RWD? Pm me if interest pick up only in the SF Bay Area. Part # 35287006.

14. BYE FSL

BYE FSL Member

Sorry, I have no input on that for you. I didn’t notice dipping and diving prior. However, since there is less side roll, I would guess there is less to and fro movement also, since it is governed by the same mechanism, no?

• Like x 1
  15. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

There is definitely less dive with the sports coilovers, but I suspect there's somewhat less with the Comfort coilovers too. The big difference is the shocks are not adjustable, and the spring rate is a little firmer on the sports coilovers. But a lot of brake dive resistance is actually coming from the shocks and not just the springs.