Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is more info on KW for tesla model 3

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/tesla_model_3

It's interesting that they quote 7% increase. I'm estimating that with a UP front spoiler and the lowering kit I'm getting about 9 to 10% better range. The one problem is that that modest Improvement barely counteracts the range-sucking effects of 235 / 35 front and 275 / 30 rear tires. I also don't have my car quite as lowered as the test car in the video. Mine's lowered about 3 cm. Thought about going all the way to the bottom of the adjustment range but too many driveways and other issues.

@Mountain pass

What is the difference between Mountain Pass coilover which are manufactured by KW and the KW Variant3 which is now vailable directly from KW and currently in stock?

Rear wheel drive
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/kw-suspensions-kw-coilover-v3-2017-tesla-model-3-2wd-35287006.html

All wheel Drive
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/catal...ns-kw-coilover-v3-tesla-model-3-awd-35287007/

Hi Lucy,

Quality-wise?

There is no difference. They are both built to the very high standards of MPP and KW.

Design-wise?

Our kits use our own specs for spring rates and valving, based on years of development and real-world testing all over the continent and many race tracks. We also take into account feedback from our customers on how to improve our products based on their own experiences. KW has built and installed one kit on the NextMove Model 3 Dual Motor in Germany. I believe those kits are not in stock either, despite what it says. We know are still having difficulty with some parts on the front suspension. We have had the opportunity to combine some aspects of ours and KW's kits to streamline production, but there are also some aspects that we did not want to compromise on, which will differ from the KW kits.

What is the difference for you as a consumer?

KW is one of the most successful suspension companies in the world. They have hundreds of product lines and are constantly developing for the newest models on the market. They will finish their kit and move on, that's it.

MPP is committed to this community and the Model 3. We love this car, it is not just the car we are working on this month. We are personally invested in the success and performance of our products. We will always go the extra mile for our customers. We are answering emails and talking people through installs at night and on weekends. I was answering customers at the dinner table on Sunday at 9 pm and even at a wedding the day before. If there is any kind of problem, we are here to help you.

Hi Lucy,

Quality-wise?

There is no difference. They are both built to the very high standards of MPP and KW.

Design-wise?

Our kits use our own specs for spring rates and valving, based on years of development and real-world testing all over the continent and many race tracks. We also take into account feedback from our customers on how to improve our products based on their own experiences. KW has built and installed one kit on the NextMove Model 3 Dual Motor in Germany. I believe those kits are not in stock either, despite what it says. We know are still having difficulty with some parts on the front suspension. We have had the opportunity to combine some aspects of ours and KW's kits to streamline production, but there are also some aspects that we did not want to compromise on, which will differ from the KW kits.

What is the difference for you as a consumer?

KW is one of the most successful suspension companies in the world. They have hundreds of product lines and are constantly developing for the newest models on the market. They will finish their kit and move on, that's it.

MPP is committed to this community and the Model 3. We love this car, it is not just the car we are working on this month. We are personally invested in the success and performance of our products. We will always go the extra mile for our customers. We are answering emails and talking people through installs at night and on weekends. I was answering customers at the dinner table on Sunday at 9 pm and even at a wedding the day before. If there is any kind of problem, we are here to help you.

Thanks for the detailed response guys. Couple of questions though – I know the conventional notion is that Shock compression firmness impacts handling more while rebound firmness more the suppleness of the ride, but is that how you guys would describe and understand it? It seems like a little bit of an artificial distinction between ride and handling, and if so, why wouldn't people simply really back off on rebound and keep compression really high? Where do you guys run your set up on the street in terms of ride height and shock settings? And how do you set the shocks for particular tracks? Trial and error? Speed of corner? Just wondering what the heuristics are in a general sort of way.

In line with those questions, I'm curious why you guys have as a default setting slightly different compression and rebound numbers and I think it's 12 clicks off full hard for compression and 10 clicks off Full hard for rebound? I know that the general design and functional parameter is that slow to medium movements are dampened more aggressively as you go towards full hard but superfast compressions/actuations are not? Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your support. We love your stuff – keep it coming! Speaking of which, when do you think your front camber/caster arms are going to be available?

Thanks for the detailed response guys. Couple of questions though – I know the conventional notion is that Shock compression firmness impacts handling more while rebound firmness more the suppleness of the ride, but is that how you guys would describe and understand it? It seems like a little bit of an artificial distinction between ride and handling, and if so, why wouldn't people simply really back off on rebound and keep compression really high? Where do you guys run your set up on the street in terms of ride height and shock settings? And how do you set the shocks for particular tracks? Trial and error? Speed of corner? Just wondering what the heuristics are in a general sort of way.

In line with those questions, I'm curious why you guys have as a default setting slightly different compression and rebound numbers and I think it's 12 clicks off full hard for compression and 10 clicks off Full hard for rebound? I know that the general design and functional parameter is that slow to medium movements are dampened more aggressively as you go towards full hard but superfast compressions/actuations are not? Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your support. We love your stuff – keep it coming! Speaking of which, when do you think your front camber/caster arms are going to be available?
Word of the day is "Heuristic"

A heuristic technique (/hjʊəˈrɪstɪk/; Ancient Greek: εὑρίσκω, "find" or "discover"), often called simply a heuristic, is any approach to problem solving or self-discovery that employs a practical method, not guaranteed to be optimal, perfect, or rational, but instead sufficient for reaching an immediate goal. Where finding an optimal solution is impossible or impractical, heuristic methods can be used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution. Heuristics can be mental shortcuts that ease the cognitive load of making a decision.[1]:94 Examples that employ heuristics include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, a guesstimate, profiling, or common sense.

I learned a new word today!

Now did any other person here not know this word? Am I a Neanderthal? should I start another meaningless poll?

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
@ mountain pass. Thank you for the detailed information. Now my question......I will never track my model 3 but I want the best system to lower my car mainly for looks because the stock height really looks ridiculous. Also I do not want to sacrifice the original performance and ride quality of the stock suspension. Having said that here are the questions.

1. Will the comfort coilover sufficient to my intention?
2. Will the comfort coilover get more body roll vs stock? I hope not.
3. Will the comfort coilover last the same as the stock?
4. Will the comfort coilover rust faster than the sport coilover or is the quality the same?
5. When will you have the cam & toe arms for the front?

Also: are you guys considering selling simply shocks and springs for a fix height. I wish that retailer or supplier when selling springs to lower the car is to also sell the appropriate shocks for the springs.

@ mountain pass. Thank you for the detailed information. Now my question......I will never track my model 3 but I want the best system to lower my car mainly for looks because the stock height really looks ridiculous. Also I do not want to sacrifice the original performance and ride quality of the stock suspension. Having said that here are the questions.

1. Will the comfort coilover sufficient to my intention?
2. Will the comfort coilover get more body roll vs stock? I hope not.
3. Will the comfort coilover last the same as the stock?
4. Will the comfort coilover rust faster than the sport coilover or is the quality the same?
5. When will you have the cam & toe arms for the front?

Also: are you guys considering selling simply shocks and springs for a fix height. I wish that retailer or supplier when selling springs to lower the car is to also sell the appropriate shocks for the springs.

My pleasure, I am also happy to answer questions via email if it helps us keep track of our conversation.

1. Yes, this is the exact reason we designed them!
2. No, they are very similar spring rates to stock, you will not notice an increase or decrease in body roll.
3. They are zinc-plated for corrosion protection, without having seen a winter driven Model 3 after 10 years I can't really speculate on this.
4. The stainless steel Sports kit are definitely more corrosion resistant than the zinc-plated Comfort kits. For either, we would recommend using a carwash that has the underbody spray during winter.
5. The front toe is adjustable using the stock tie-rods. The front camber kit will be available in 1-2 months!

The cost for us to develop a "spring and strut" combo without height adjustment was going to be as expensive as height-adjustable coilovers, so we chose the flexibility of coilovers. None of our customers want the same amount of drop, so it is best to let them decide for themselves.

It's interesting that they quote 7% increase. I'm estimating that with a UP front spoiler and the lowering kit I'm getting about 9 to 10% better range. The one problem is that that modest Improvement barely counteracts the range-sucking effects of 235 / 35 front and 275 / 30 rear tires. I also don't have my car quite as lowered as the test car in the video. Mine's lowered about 3 cm. Thought about going all the way to the bottom of the adjustment range but too many driveways and other issues.

@dfwatt,

So if that’s important to you don’t go staggered, go square and get your 10% back.

Ski

My pleasure, I am also happy to answer questions via email if it helps us keep track of our conversation.

2. No, they are very similar spring rates to stock, you will not notice an increase or decrease in body roll.
3. They are zinc-plated for corrosion protection, without having seen a winter driven Model 3 after 10 years I can't really speculate on this.
4. The stainless steel Sports kit are definitely more corrosion resistant than the zinc-plated Comfort kits. For either, we would recommend using a carwash that has the underbody spray during winter.
5. The front toe is adjustable using the stock tie-rods. The front camber kit will be available in 1-2 months!

The cost for us to develop a "spring and strut" combo without height adjustment was going to be as expensive as height-adjustable coilovers, so we chose the flexibility of coilovers. None of our customers want the same amount of drop, so it is best to let them decide for themselves.

If it’s alright with @Lucy903 and @MountainPass I’m sure we’d all prefer you ask/answer here as we are because it helps inform/answer all our questions. These are questions I had as well! Thank you! We LOVE you guys!

Ski

@MountainPass,

Wait...I was under the understanding that for #2 installing the coil overs and dropping ride height helped reduce body roll? Which was my hope. Or is that just attributed to installing aftermarket anti-sway bars? You’re saying the coil overs won’t increase body roll which is expected but also saying they won’t reduce body roll either?

Ski

20190705_111916.jpg
@dfwatt,

So if that’s important to you don’t go staggered, go square and get your 10% back.

Ski

Probably only at most 1 to 2% is from the staggered rears which are mostly out of the Airstream. The rest of it is simply from how the PS4s do have higher rolling resistance relative to the Michelin Primacy and the effect of large non aerodynamic Wheels without Aero covers. So I'm not really paying that much for the staggered look but I am paying for the 20 inch wheels. But the look is so much better so it's all trade-offs.

Reactions: Skione65
@MountainPass,

Wait...I was under the understanding that for #2 installing the coil overs and dropping ride height helped reduce body roll? Which was my hope. Or is that just attributed to installing aftermarket anti-sway bars? You’re saying the coil overs won’t increase body roll which is expected but also saying they won’t reduce body roll either?

Ski

That's the Comfort Coilovers only. The sport coilovers definitely do reduce body roll. And even though MPP says that roll is the same with the Comfort Coilovers, lots of people report slightly reduced roll there as well.

Reactions: Skione65
That's the Comfort Coilovers only. The sport coilovers definitely do reduce body roll. And even though MPP says that roll is the same with the Comfort Coilovers, lots of people report slightly reduced roll there as well.

Ok...that makes more sense. So SOME/SLIGHT reduced body roll with the Comforts however MORE (pronounced) body roll reduction with the Sports. Would seem to reason. Thanks!

Ski

I had my MPP Comfort Coilovers installed by ACG Automotive in San Diego. So far so good. It's on the lowest setting (I believe) but I will most likely raise it up a bit as I am scraping on some driveways with people in the back. So far feels a bit stiffer than stock, but I've only really driven about 100 miles or less so far, so still in the break in periodView attachment 443449 View attachment 443450 View attachment 443452 View attachment 443453 View attachment 443454

are those staggered? Who makes them? Stock PS4s?