Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR No Longer Available to Configure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be honest, that’s the weakest argument I’ve heard yet.

Anyone chasing depreciation on a vehicle purchase is on a fool’s errand.

Vehicles depreciate. Quickly. They’re never an investment.

Prices drop, too. I can buy a 2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum for a heck of a lot less than I paid for mine. That’s not a negative, it’s reality.
If you are going to have a fire sale then tell people who buy the week before. No one likes to feel like a chump.

To be honest, that’s the weakest argument I’ve heard yet.

Anyone chasing depreciation on a vehicle purchase is on a fool’s errand.

Vehicles depreciate. Quickly. They’re never an investment.

Prices drop, too. I can buy a 2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum for a heck of a lot less than I paid for mine. That’s not a negative, it’s reality.

Depreciation is a factor people look at when buying new cars. It should matter for everyone looking to buy a car, even people who plan on keeping it forever. If you don't take it into account or even think of it, you aren't doing your due diligence.

Depreciation is a factor people look at when buying new cars. It should matter for everyone looking to buy a car, even people who plan on keeping it forever. If you don't take it into account or even think of it, you aren't doing your due diligence.

Nobody’s shown one piece of evidence that actual, real resell values have dropped either. It’s a fluid market and does not move proportionally to net price paid.

If someone really thinks that a $2k change in software price is going to have any net effect on resale value 3 years down the road, I’d argue they don’t understand how depreciation actually works ....

Like anything else, a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Fluctuating software prices don’t really change that. It’s not linear.

Reactions: MXWing
Nobody’s shown one piece of evidence that actual, real resell values have dropped either. It’s a fluid market and does not move proportionally to net price paid.

If someone really thinks that a $2k change in software price is going to have any net effect on resale value 3 years down the road, I’d argue they don’t understand how depreciation actually works ....

Like anything else, a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Fluctuating software prices don’t really change that. It’s not linear.

Model 3 Performance in September 2018: 69K
Model 3 Performance March 17, 2019 : 58K

You could argue it's a software upgrade but the price has been reduced by 11K. Same deal with Model S and Model X performance cars. If someone really thinks that a 11K change in software price is NOT going to have any net effect on resale value 3 years down the road, I'd argue that they don't understand how depreciation actually works...

You could argue it's a software upgrade but the price has been reduced by 11K. Same deal with Model S and Model X performance cars. If someone really thinks that a 11K change in software price is NOT going to have any net effect on resale value 3 years down the road, I'd argue that they don't understand how depreciation actually works...

Vehicles aren’t investments. Never have been, never will be. Period. Getting upset because the cost of a new vehicle went down is just silly.

Of course it's not actually an 11k difference.

The 9/2018 guy got a $5000 refund.... and $3750 more tax credit.

So it's a whole $2,250 cheaper after 6 months. Hardly a huge difference- especially when they probably saved at least half that on gas in the time they had it.

Vehicles aren’t investments. Never have been, never will be. Period.

Sorry to pick apart your statement but I will. What is an investment? Just a quick google and the result below shows itself.

the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

So the question is, can a vehicle produce cash flow by itself? Yes, you can rent it out for cash flow. Plenty of vehicles on Turo or Teslaloop. So to say vechicles will never be investments. Period. is categorically false.

Getting upset because the cost of a new vehicle went down is just silly.
It's not silly to be concerned. In fact it's rational since it's directly affected how much you can resell your car for.

Of course it's not actually an 11k difference.

The 9/2018 guy got a $5000 refund.... and $3750 more tax credit.

So it's a whole $2,250 cheaper after 6 months. Hardly a huge difference- especially when they probably saved at least half that on gas in the time they had it.

Hey understand your argument but you need to look at the other side. The 9/2018 guy could have been relying on free supercharging to boost his vehicles resale value. He may have been relying on the tax credit reduction to boost the resale value. From Tesla's marketing, it seemed like the logical outcome. Lesson is to never trust their marketing at face value.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
Sorry to pick apart your statement but I will. What is an investment? Just a quick google and the result below shows itself.

So the question is, can a vehicle produce cash flow by itself? Yes, you can rent it out for cash flow. Plenty of vehicles on Turo or Teslaloop. So to say vechicles will never be investments. Period. is categorically false.

You're being pedantic. You know exactly what I meant - ownership of a vehicle, for private use, without commercial intent, is not a money making proposition.

But at this point I think we need to agree to disagree - we're far enough down the rabbit hole that I'm expecting to see Bugs any second now. :)

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing
Which is why I’m surprised he announced the base price on a Model Y as $39k. Why not just leave it open?

So more people would give Tesla the $2,500 deposit....interestingly though I haven't seen any word on how many people did.

Because he's said that the $35k base price isn't going to increase and because the people don't want to hear the "Model 3 price + $4k".

Anyone who wants to post raw msrp prices, not accounting for tax credit differences and FUSC refunds is a disingenuous person.

I think it’s really low to essentially lie when trying to make an argument.

The second idiotic metric I’ve seen used to show how horrible Tesla cars depreciate is to use a Tesla trade in or Carmax trade in and think that’s the “value”.

Think a Feb 2017 Model S is worth more than a Dec 2016 Model S all other things being equal? Nope.

Anyone who wants to post raw msrp prices, not accounting for tax credit differences and FUSC refunds is a disingenuous person.

Or they don't live in the US. The price change was more dramatic in Canada where there was not a federal change to tax credits etc from 2018 to 2019 but Telsa made the same proportion change to pricing.

For the record. I bought in 2018 and don't care about the price change. Sometimes you time a purchase well and sometimes you don't.

I'm not sure this was the case here. People don't like the price cuts creating instant depreciation on the car. There are people out there that planned to keep the car for a couple of years and sell it, relying on the tax credit to absorb some of that depreciation. Instead, they find that the car's MSRP is at a point drastically lower than when they bought the car.
Yea that's me, I don't typically like to buy new cars, but thought the 7500 would absorb some of it, big mistake there.

Yea buying new is almost awlays bad, but with telsa you just have to realize your going to take a 40% price hit instead of a 20% one, right off the bat.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: David_Cary
Or they don't live in the US. The price change was more dramatic in Canada where there was not a federal change to tax credits etc from 2018 to 2019 but Telsa made the same proportion change to pricing.

For the record. I bought in 2018 and don't care about the price change. Sometimes you time a purchase well and sometimes you don't.

The person who made the declaration was from the US.

There is no way to time a Tesla purchase. While I've done "ok" in doing so, any advantages are very short lived.

At the end of the day, the person who has the fastest, bestest, coolest, cheapest Tesla is... your neighbor.

If you satisfied with the current offering at the current price, buy the car.

If you want to keep waiting for price drops and better Tesla's, you will never own one.

They had choice of one, the free paint color, interior color or wheel upgrade but was told this morning that that just went away (I ordered P100D yesterday) Even if you applied for it already it’s a no go at delivery. For me it’s a no go on a $3k discount on 21" twin turbines (only was one tier for the discount from $4500 down to $1500 grey slipstreams)
Wait, so I ordered a fleet MR Blue/Black/Aero. I was told a $1,500 discount for mileage/2018, and no charge for the blue. Are you saying that they won’t honor that?