Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 100D Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received notice my new MS 100D will ship soon. I’m finding that insurance fir the Tesla is much more than for my LEXUS. Does anyone have a recommendation for reasonable insurance on a Tesla???

Thanks.

It’s hard to say without knowing where you live, what your driving record is like, what kind of coverage you are looking to get, who your insurer is, and a whole host of other factors.

It’s possible the rate could be double what you were paying for the Lexus and that’s just the way it is.

Reactions: brkaus
Best insurance for Tesla Model S 2018

I have USAA and have two Model S's, we pay $100 per month per Model S with excellent coverage inclusive of 20% gap insurance.

I also have Life Insurance with them, Home insurance with them and personal rider insurance for my wife's jewelry. The only thing they dont insurance is my motorcycle and thats with Progressive.

Tesla Model S Car Insurance Cost: Compare Rates Now | The Zebra

The Tesla Model S is an affordable vehicle to cover via auto insurance, with average annual rates $388 more affordable than the national average. The Model S offers good cost-to-insure value, with a below-average insurance rate-to-MSRP quotient.

Progressive provides the most affordable auto insurance prices for the Tesla Model S, with a mean annual premium of $539 — 68% less than the average of top insurance companies. The most expensive car insurance provider for the Tesla Model S is Infinity, with a mean cost of $4,279 per annum.

Dive into the data below to see Tesla Model S insurance rates offered by top auto insurance companies.

How much does it cost to insure my Tesla Model S?
Select the year of your car
Model S Car Insurance
2017 Tesla Model S
Cheapest Insurance Companies
Average Annual Cost
Progressive

$539

GEICO

$545

State Farm
$554

USAA

$585

Country
$637

Erie

$648

Nationwide
$727

Cincinnati Insurance
$772

American Family
$784

Allied
$786

Texas Farm Bureau

$849

Allmerica

$886

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and Skipdd
I shopped it hard, Geico was the lowest. My current AAA insurance was a huge disappointment. They are not even trying for Tesla owners. $3K.year!

That's what happens when your state openly allows petty crimes with no punishment. California has decriminalized property crimes under $1,000 and will not even prosecute in most cities. San Francisco alone has over 30,000 car burglaries per year and will do nothing to stop the crime wave. You guys have great "leadership" out there -- citizens get to pick up the tab for dirt bags.

LA Area People, watch out! They are stealing Nose Cones Now!

That's what happens when your state openly allows petty crimes with no punishment. California has decriminalized property crimes under $1,000 and will not even prosecute in most cities. San Francisco alone has over 30,000 car burglaries per year and will do nothing to stop the crime wave. You guys have great "leadership" out there -- citizens get to pick up the tab for dirt bags.

LA Area People, watch out! They are stealing Nose Cones Now!
Well that does explain it... In general we Californians are not crazy, it is the major cities that are completely nuts. Bummer as it makes us all look so

Well that does explain it... In general we Californians are not crazy, it is the major cities that are completely nuts. Bummer as it makes us all look so

I understand, I live in what my relatives in southwestern Virginia call the "Occupied Zone" in Northern Virginia, Fairfax County near DC, the rest of the state looks at the occupied zone like complete idiots and would push them out of the state due to the stupidity that they legislate.

Last edited:
I understand, I live in what my relatives in southwestern Virginia call the "Occupied Zone" in Northern Virginia, Fairfax County near DC, the rest of the state looks at the occupied zone like complete idiots and would push them out of the state due to the stupidity that they legislate.
They should be thankful for the “Occupied Zone” as it funds a disproportionate amount of the state budget. Southwestern Virginia is pretty much a drain on funds.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

Except they would love to have the income, quality of life, access to art and culture and other opportunities most people who live in the Northern Virginia enjoy. We have relatives in Northern Virginia and love how progressive Virginia has become and they love raising their family there.

Of course I wish there were penalties and prosecution for people who damage other's properly and from what I can tell Virginia is not lax about being enforcing laws. All things being equal, I'd take some legislative anomalies if it means we have a government who care about the environment. Also be careful what you wish for. If not for the tax revenue from Northern Virginia, the state will have serious fiscal issues. AFAIC Northern Virginia keeps Virginia sane :)

Back to the topic of discussion... I've heard stories with GEICO being hard to work with for Tesla repairs. Anyone have any recent experiences with GEICO and a Tesla claim?

We have not selected GEICO out of concern for them being hard to work with god forbid we have to take our baby to a body shop.

Last edited:
I shopped it hard, Geico was the lowest. My current AAA insurance was a huge disappointment. They are not even trying for Tesla owners. $3K.year!

I talked with an insurance agent about that and he said it was because that because when you get into an accident, chances are the car is totaled due to the construction of the car. You are going to be seeing a higher rate here in the next few months for the Teslas due to readjustments with Farmers, if you ever want to go with them. But they will still be competitive. The other companies will just take time to catch up to the price increases. California is especially bad due to the people only getting a cut-rate insurer to cover them.