Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS refresh: Rear Quarter Panel Rock Chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine for about 19 months and no chips in that area. That said, it may depend more on what stuff you regularly drive through. I do drive on a graveled dirt road (1/4 mile) about 3 times a year, which would seem to be high risk.

I live in Los Angeles and just got rid of my 2021 MS LR refresh and the rock chips in that area in front of the rear tires were brutal. Like very bad in probably a 30 inch by 30 inch area on both sides. I had a black car which probably made it show worse. I had 21” wheels too.

The factory PPF is definitely not large enough to prevent chips and needs to go higher. I specifically asked my PPF installer to replace the factory piece and go higher but they ended up not doing when they did the full front/mirrors/etc. Now I have several small chips above the factory yellowed ppf lol. When I picked up the car I wish I would have forced them to do what was originally asked. Live and learn lol.

FYI I have mudflaps too which help a lot but they don't catch everything. These tires (michelins) are sticky and pick up every little pebble.

Reactions: bkcyk
Anyone else have concerns with the factory PPF not being large enough to capture the rock chips on the rear quarter panels? Two months into ownership and I've already identified a small pant chip there.
Mine is so damn bad. Black 2024 plaid and 500 miles, looks like Swiss cheese back there. Got mudflaps now but damage is done. I’ve had 4 teslas, and even my wide gt3 and my m5 all had no issues. It’s pathetic. Needs to be addressed. Either add mudflaps or a warning or cover it.

Some cars have a textured ppf there to help but this area is beyond the ppf rocker area. I sent in a complaint and will see what happens. Most likely nothing like usual