Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MSRP max for EV Tax Credit: before or after FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Credit Based on drive away date like last time, so time to reserve one?

What's the best bang/buck? a la my SR 3?
I have a M3RWD reserved and the latest EDD is 11/6 - 12/18. I will see if it gets pushed to next year. i think the M3RWD the base price 46999 has not been raised in last 2 rounds. The M3LR has been updated for few thousands more since beginning of this year. I could switch to the M3LR for $7500 more (based on the price of the OD at the time), and possible it will be out of the limit for the credit.

M3RWD would be qualified for the credit.
I believe MYLR, and MYP (without all the upgrades) should also be qualified for the credit.

I have a M3RWD reserved and the latest EDD is 11/6 - 12/18. I will see if it gets pushed to next year. i think the M3RWD the base price 46999 has not been raised in last 2 rounds. The M3LR has been updated for few thousands more since beginning of this year. I could switch to the M3LR for $7500 more (based on the price of the OD at the time), and possible it will be out of the limit for the credit.

M3RWD would be qualified for the credit.
I believe MYLR, and MYP (without all the upgrades) should also be qualified for the credit.
with the LFP batteries in the M3RWD being manufactured in china, iʻm not so sure it will qualify. perhaps only the MYLR will qualify in the whole tesla lineup.

most view the MY as an SUV, which has an $80k MSRP limit
For those who are concerned if the Model Y would qualify as an SUV for the $80k MSRP limit, here is a government source stating the Model Y is an SUV. Just click on the "Specs" tab and you'll see the "EPA Size Class". You might save the link as evidence for your year 2023 tax credit (if the bill passes with no significant changes).

Model Y at the US Department of Energy

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and JHCCAZ
For those who are concerned if the Model Y would qualify as an SUV for the $80k MSRP limit, here is a government source stating the Model Y is an SUV. Just click on the "Specs" tab and you'll see the "EPA Size Class". You might save the link as evidence for your year 2023 tax credit (if the bill passes with no significant changes).

Model Y at the US Department of Energy
Thanks. Doesn't affect me anymore, but this was a discussion last year - whether the federal government actually classifies Model Y as an SUV.

Starting with the 2022 model year (about a week after I got my car :rolleyes:) Tesla got a specific prefix "7SA" for its SUVs. Prior to that, I believe all Tesla USA VINs were prefixed "5YJ" regardless of model or body type. This contributed to the concern of whether the more expensive MY would qualify for rebates under the SUV price cap. It doesn't matter what most people, or even state DMVs consider it to be, it matters what the Feds consider it to be.

The newer SUV-specific VIN prefix (which cannot be established without government involvement) lends clarity to this issue, so with the information you just provided I think it's clearly no longer a concern for Model Y buyers.

This is not to say I agree with these rebates in the first place, but certainly if you're going to buy a Model Y you want to know the score.