Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt. Rushmore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done several road trips in my Model Y LR in the 15 months I've had it. I don't have experience with your route, because I live on the East Coast and have only gone to Los Angeles once, but that 6,000 trip went off without a hitch. (It was a little easier because it was in Spring.)

I have a sense that the North-South routes are a little tougher than the East-West routes, just because the North-South interstates are further apart. Once you get out of California and Las Vegas though, I think you will find that the superchargers are not as crowded, and the electric grid is not as precarious.

Oh, and as for tire pressure, I always run mind at the recommended pressure, even though it results in a rougher ride. It will give you a little extra range that you can then spend on AC without worrying ;)

Good luck! Your route looks like it will be a fun adventure.

Reactions: ferventcoder
One thing I'll note about grid failure is that the Tesla navigation screen will display working chargers along with how many stalls are available. It's not accurate on the count but does help plan. I would not run much lower than 20pct or close to it incase you need to venture to a different charger due to grid power constraints.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Also, not sure if you had did any road trips with the Model Y, it's not an efficiency tesla at highway speeds. We also have a Model X. My wife Karen and I will usually take both cars to a car event or show here in town. In Houston that can be an hour drive. Wen we get back, the Y is usually 10 to 15pct lower in range. As odd as it sounds, they both have right about the same range at 100pct for comparison.

One thing I'll note about grid failure is that the Tesla navigation screen will display working chargers along with how many stalls are available. It's not accurate on the count but does help plan. I would not run much lower than 20pct or close to it in case you need to venture to a different charger due to grid power constraints.
yes. For me, I rarely go below 15% to 20% anyway. Not because I am concerned about grid issues (never experienced that in 5 years with a Tesla). I want to ensure extra range in case I have to make a big detour in case of fires or other issues. THAT, I have encountered twice since owning the car and glad I had reserve. Yea, I know folks that like to run it down to 0, but for me, I think it is an unnecessary risk. I never did that in my ICE car either.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just have emergency supplies: 1 gallon of water/person, hats, long sleeve shirts, long pants, possibly umbrellas, in case of unexpected trouble.
Enjoy the drive.
We've only encountered grid problems once, in Albuquerque, and that was in the winter. It recovered by the time we arrived in town. We have seen slow Supercharging in hot weather but it still worked.

Reactions: Darmie