Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y climate battery usage unusually high (50% battery while driving)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I know many parts of the US has been going through a heat wave this past few weeks. I live in the epicenter of the heatwave, here in Phoenix, AZ.

I had my 23 Model Y long range awd for about 4 months now. Initially I was getting pretty good efficiency in the spring in my Y, about 260-300whrs/mi depending on if I'm driving city streets vs highway.

However, this past month since Phx has gotten into the 110+ highs, I've noticed my efficiency plunging on my normal 55mi commute to 390-460whrs/mi. My same 55mi commute that previously used 20-25% battery per day is all of a sudden spiking to using 40-45% battery per day.

I've been tracking my energy usage this past week more carefully using the energy app and I'm surprised to see the car is reporting it's frequently using more of the battery for climate vs driving.

See my 2 photos of two prior trips, one that was a normal commute leaving at 6:45am to work and coming back at 4:30pm so driving half during coolest part of day (morning) and return home 27mi driving at hottest time of day.

The energy app reported out of the total 36% battery used during my 55mi of driving, 14.3% to driving and 18.3% to climate, which seems like really high climate energy usage, even during a hot summer day.

My 2nd trip was driving in the evening, from 3pm-midnight, about 1/3 mileage during the hot afternoon, and 2/3 mileage late evening after the sun has set and the temps have dropped from 115 to 102-105ish. The energy app still reported my Y consumed more energy (15%) on climate than driving (13.4%) during that 52.9mi I drove that day.

My climate is set to med fan speed, 70 auto, recirculate mode. The energy app says setting my climate to 72 would have only saved 0.4% which is a tiny fraction of the total 15-18.3% battery used by climate during the short 53-55mi trips.

My Y is a white color, so one of the cooler colors, I have ceramic window tint, I use a windshield sun blocker while parked, and most of the time am early enough to work to snag a covered parking spot for the workday. And the Y is garaged while at my house. So the battery/interior doesn't heat soak as bad as if it was parked directly under the blazing hot phx sun.

I know this is unusually high climate usage because my household also have a 21 Model S Plaid. And the past week, driving the S Plaid around for 50mi in the same hot 105-115 Phx temps, the energy app on the Plaid is reporting the climate is only consuming 3.5% battery vs 14.1% for driving, which seems like a more normal climate energy usage. And the Plaid is a hotter dark blue color and is usually set to a colder 68-69 interior temp to boot.

I've scheduled an Tesla service appointment for next Friday for them to check out my energy hog climate and to fix a interior mirror mounting rattle. I'll report the Tesla service findings then.

I suspect I have a defective climate component causing this abnormally high climate energy usage. It might be related to a delivery defect where my new Y was delivered with the interior climate sensor board missing, leaving a gaping hole under the main display and a displayed climate error. Service fixed the missing sensor board and climate error with an service visit a week after my delivery.

Any other Y owners experience sky high climate usage while driving their Ys in this recent heat wave?

Attachments

• energy1.JPG
    energy1.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 316
  • energy2.JPG
    energy2.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: beachmiles
You say it’s abnormally high… but is it actually?

Maybe it is normal?

Maybe I should schedule my model S in for service for abnormally low climate usage then. Since my Y and S is driving in similar conditions but the Y is using 4X-5X more battery on climate per each car's energy app.

I am curious what other Y owner's energy app are reporting their climate battery usage is driving in above 100 high Temps.

That might help establish what is normal vs abnormal. Are you driving your Y in a hot climate and is your climate using up half of all energy consumed during a trip?

Hi, I know many parts of the US has been going through a heat wave this past few weeks. I live in the epicenter of the heatwave, here in Phoenix, AZ.

I had my 23 Model Y long range awd for about 4 months now. Initially I was getting pretty good efficiency in the spring in my Y, about 260-300whrs/mi depending on if I'm driving city streets vs highway.

However, this past month since Phx has gotten into the 110+ highs, I've noticed my efficiency plunging on my normal 55mi commute to 390-460whrs/mi. My same 55mi commute that previously used 20-25% battery per day is all of a sudden spiking to using 40-45% battery per day.

I've been tracking my energy usage this past week more carefully using the energy app and I'm surprised to see the car is reporting it's frequently using more of the battery for climate vs driving.

See my 2 photos of two prior trips, one that was a normal commute leaving at 6:45am to work and coming back at 4:30pm so driving half during coolest part of day (morning) and return home 27mi driving at hottest time of day.

The energy app reported out of the total 36% battery used during my 55mi of driving, 14.3% to driving and 18.3% to climate, which seems like really high climate energy usage, even during a hot summer day.

My 2nd trip was driving in the evening, from 3pm-midnight, about 1/3 mileage during the hot afternoon, and 2/3 mileage late evening after the sun has set and the temps have dropped from 115 to 102-105ish. The energy app still reported my Y consumed more energy (15%) on climate than driving (13.4%) during that 52.9mi I drove that day.

My climate is set to med fan speed, 70 auto, recirculate mode. The energy app says setting my climate to 72 would have only saved 0.4% which is a tiny fraction of the total 15-18.3% battery used by climate during the short 53-55mi trips.

My Y is a white color, so one of the cooler colors, I have ceramic window tint, I use a windshield sun blocker while parked, and most of the time am early enough to work to snag a covered parking spot for the workday. And the Y is garaged while at my house. So the battery/interior doesn't heat soak as bad as if it was parked directly under the blazing hot phx sun.

I know this is unusually high climate usage because my household also have a 21 Model S Plaid. And the past week, driving the S Plaid around for 50mi in the same hot 105-115 Phx temps, the energy app on the Plaid is reporting the climate is only consuming 3.5% battery vs 14.1% for driving, which seems like a more normal climate energy usage. And the Plaid is a hotter dark blue color and is usually set to a colder 68-69 interior temp to boot.

I've scheduled an Tesla service appointment for next Friday for them to check out my energy hog climate and to fix a interior mirror mounting rattle. I'll report the Tesla service findings then.

I suspect I have a defective climate component causing this abnormally high climate energy usage. It might be related to a delivery defect where my new Y was delivered with the interior climate sensor board missing, leaving a gaping hole under the main display and a displayed climate error. Service fixed the missing sensor board and climate error with an service visit a week after my delivery.

Any other Y owners experience sky high climate usage while driving their Ys in this recent heat wave?
I’m in Phoenix area as well. I’ve had my 2022 MYP for exactly 1 year and my observations about climate usage and range being affected, are the same as yours. My previously owned 2017 MS did not have as hard of time in the summer as my MYP, but this is the worst it’s been in years 🥵

Reactions: Rockstop
Thank you for that data point, that's helpful.

Oof, That's rough. Maybe an recent over the air update set the Y BMS to more frequently actively cool the Y batteries in over 100F temps or something.

With the Y having (slightly) higher ground clearance so it's further away from as hot as 160F road asphalt and a newer heat pump climate design, my hopes were the Y climate would be more energy efficient than an S's.

I saw a recent post by a Phoenician complaining his Model 3 climate was also using a high ratio of battery in his energy app. So maybe once Phx hits over 105 or 110, it really tips the Y and 3 cabin/battery cooling systems into overdrive.

I came from an BMW X5 PHEV that would only get about 25-30mi pure EV range out of its 17 kWh usage battery pack so the Y is a big upgrade in EV efficiency not to mention responsive electric power but it does take some getting used to how extreme low or high temps can impact an BEV's battery range.

I’m in Phoenix area as well. I’ve had my 2022 MYP for exactly 1 year and my observations about climate usage and range being affected, are the same as yours. My previously owned 2017 MS did not have as hard of time in the summer as my MYP, but this is the worst it’s been in years 🥵

This 7+ page thread, on the same topic, from an OP in the same area is you, tells me your car is probably normal (as it relates to this likely not being a hardware "broken" thing, anyway)

Maybe I should schedule my model S in for service for abnormally low climate usage then. Since my Y and S is driving in similar conditions but the Y is using 4X-5X more battery on climate per each car's energy app.

I am curious what other Y owner's energy app are reporting their climate battery usage is driving in above 100 high Temps.

That might help establish what is normal vs abnormal. Are you driving your Y in a hot climate and is your climate using up half of all energy consumed during a trip?
Similar issues for me:

Trip Friday from Las Vegas to Phoenix used 85% battery to go 175 miles (White hills SC to Wickenburg). The energy app blamed about 30% of the energy consumption on climate. Arrived in Wickenburg with 8%, and had taken 6% extra at white hills due to excess luggage and heat, compensating for what I observed across the entire trip as > than expected consumption (350wh/mi).

Trip Saturday from Phoenix to Surprise, and return. 60miles. Used 32%. Energy app showed 12.9% of the energy used was related to climate, and it should be noted I pre-cooled on the charger at home. Round trip was 400wh/mi.

I don't think its that the AC is no good, but that like other heat pump based coolers it takes time for them to become efficient. The first phases of cooling are high energy activities, but once cooling heat pumps become very efficient. The first 10-15minutes of our return home Saturday were not good.

Another thing to point out is that at 118degrees we are pushing the limits of any cooling technology to operate efficiently.

Last thought is that the Tesla has to manage battery temp. In all cases I believe the battery is receiving a great deal of its own energy to actively cool the cells to an operating temperature that is consistent with design constraints to avoid long term damage.

70 degrees is much too low. I can't speak for your area because where I live we get 80s and 90s but the humidity is what kills me. I generally set my AC to 78-80 and drive under the speed limit (55) and I can get low 200s wh/mi. Also I have a model 3

70 degrees is much too low. I can't speak for your area because where I live we get 80s and 90s but the humidity is what kills me. I generally set my AC to 78-80 and drive under the speed limit (55) and I can get low 200s wh/mi. Also I have a model 3
The set point is not a switch.

In using any kind of thermostat to manage the air-conditioning function, home, car or other you should set it to the temperature that is considered desired and allow the thermostat to control the mechanical system. Doing anything other is going to be less efficient.

Truth be told the cabin temp on short trips may not ever reach 70, or even 72. What is going to throttle the AC is a cabin temp sensor readings at some threshold temperature below the set point. The in the case of Arizona with outside air temperature (in the shade mind you) of 115degrees. I could set the car to 78 or 68 and drive for 15 minutes. It won't really make a difference on the consumption. Over a 2 hour journey, the AC has a chance to throttle back if I set it for 72 or 70 and allow the mechanical to do its part in cooling the cabin to the desired level.

The set point is not a switch.

In using any kind of thermostat to manage the air-conditioning function, home, car or other you should set it to the temperature that is considered desired and allow the thermostat to control the mechanical system. Doing anything other is going to be less efficient.

Truth be told the cabin temp on short trips may not ever reach 70, or even 72. What is going to throttle the AC is a cabin temp sensor readings at some threshold temperature below the set point. The in the case of Arizona with outside air temperature (in the shade mind you) of 115degrees. I could set the car to 78 or 68 and drive for 15 minutes. It won't really make a difference on the consumption. Over a 2 hour journey, the AC has a chance to throttle back if I set it for 72 or 70 and allow the mechanical to do its part in cooling the cabin to the desired level.
My AC cranks up within 5 minutes - NOT a heat pump model

Have you tried changing the Cabin Overheat Protection to fan only (no AC)? This might help.

I usually leave COP off and just remotely turn on climate control 5min before getting in the car while the car is plugged in, in my garage.

Normally COP and pre-conditioning energy usage is reflected in the "park" and not "drive" tab of the in car energy app, my park tab usually shows 3-5% energy use from standby, pre-conditioning, sentry mode (I turn it on outside my home garage) etc which is an expected amount from my viewpoint.

Similar issues for me:

Trip Friday from Las Vegas to Phoenix used 85% battery to go 175 miles (White hills SC to Wickenburg). The energy app blamed about 30% of the energy consumption on climate. Arrived in Wickenburg with 8%, and had taken 6% extra at white hills due to excess luggage and heat, compensating for what I observed across the entire trip as > than expected consumption (350wh/mi).

Trip Saturday from Phoenix to Surprise, and return. 60miles. Used 32%. Energy app showed 12.9% of the energy used was related to climate, and it should be noted I pre-cooled on the charger at home. Round trip was 400wh/mi.

I don't think its that the AC is no good, but that like other heat pump based coolers it takes time for them to become efficient. The first phases of cooling are high energy activities, but once cooling heat pumps become very efficient. The first 10-15minutes of our return home Saturday were not good.

Another thing to point out is that at 118degrees we are pushing the limits of any cooling technology to operate efficiently.

Last thought is that the Tesla has to manage battery temp. In all cases I believe the battery is receiving a great deal of its own energy to actively cool the cells to an operating temperature that is consistent with design constraints to avoid long term damage.

Thank you for the extra data points. Sounds like high climate battery usage for Y drivers isn't an isolated occurance in this heatwave the USA southwest has been experiencing.

I agree, this July has been an all time record breaking heatwave for Phx metro with 23 days and counting of straight 110+ highs. Lots of stories of house AC repair companies having massive demand as people's home AC's break under the strain of needing to run 18-22 hours/day to cool houses down this month.

When the ambient air is 115-118 degrees and frequently even hotter from the heat radiating from the sun baked roads and paved parking lots, it takes a lot of energy and a big loss in efficiency for the Tesla Y heatpumps to move the heat from the cabin to the outside.

For mysterious reasons, my 23 Model Y is using way more battery for climate vs my 21 refresh model S.

The Y's bigger glass roof and different BMS battery cooling needs probably explains some of the big difference. And a different car HVAC system between the more expensive and smaller interior of the S vs the Y probably explains more of that difference.

Last edited:
Hey, I live in Chandler and commute ~60 miles round trip to North Scottsdale. I have a 23 Model Y as well so I will check it out this week and post the results here after a couple days to see if they’re similar to yours. I’ll do the same temp as you, and I typically drive up the 101 at 7:30am and then drive south back home around 4:15.

I’ve had a model 3 for a few years with the same commute and never really noticed a problem, but it was also during the pandemic so I wasn’t going to the office very often, and it also wasn’t the hottest year ever, haha.

I see you have ceramic tint but did you do the windshield and roof too? I did both and it helps, along with a sunshade for the roof.

My AC cranks up within 5 minutes - NOT a heat pump model
Maybe you feel cool air. I do too. However iIf your cabin temp is 147, like mine was leaving surprise on Saturday afternoon, no matter what the ac type cooling is going to be affected by the amount of CFMs the fans can push across the condenser coils. You could have a 5 ton inverter in your car it wouldn’t cool any faster than the hot air is displaced from the vehicle.

I see you have ceramic tint but did you do the windshield and roof too? I did both and it helps, along with a sunshade for the roof.

yep, I've got 70% ceramic infrared heat rejection film on the windshield which does help cut down on the heat coming through while still retaining night vision and not attracting any extra attention.

According to youtube videos where they used an light/UV/Infrared light meter on the Y glass roof and tesla offical videos of how the tesla glass roof is made, the glass roof comes factory tinted (technically a tint layer between the dual pane roof layers) with 2% light transmission tint that also blocks 99% UV and 95% infrared so I didn't bother tinting the roof further.

Adding a sunshade to the roof would help cut down heat radiating down but unfortunately my family is tall and the couple sunshades we tried all infringed on headroom too much for our liking, especially in the backseat with the sloping roofline.

Maybe you feel cool air. I do too. However iIf your cabin temp is 147, like mine was leaving surprise on Saturday afternoon, no matter what the ac type cooling is going to be affected by the amount of CFMs the fans can push across the condenser coils. You could have a 5 ton inverter in your car it wouldn’t cool any faster than the hot air is displaced from the vehicle.

Having the Tesla app show the interior and exterior temps of the car has been an eye opening experience. When I been forced to park my Y in full summer sun, after 2 hours, the interior has gotten has hot as 157F when it was "merely" 107 outside when COP is off. That's with a windshield sun blocker and ceramic infared blocking window tint on all glass.

With temps now as high as 119 in Phx this month, the greenhouse interior temps would be even more frightening.

I love the (restored) Tesla remote window vent feature along with COP and remote climate start function.

Reactions: TacoGuy
Well I made the mistake of ordering the black (it was free then) and black interior. Cheaped out. I think they should replace glass roof with solar panel like
the Prius Prime has