TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Mt Rushmore

Discussion in 'North America -' started by NCDoc, Jul 25, 2016.

1. NCDoc

NCDoc New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Driving cross country from DC to WA and about to stop in Rushmore (Rapid City). Anyone with good suggestions of where to charge while seeing the sites? A shuttle from the supercharger would be awesome! But doubting that exists. Any locals interested in meeting up?
  2. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

Oct 19, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If you get to 90% at Rapid City you should have no trouble getting to Rushmore and doing the Norbeck park loop road.
    Park on the top level of the Rushmore garage if you want to get a picture of your car with the presidents in the background.
    Then head on over to the city of Custer and enjoy a meal at Black Hills Burger & Bun. Look at Plugshare because you can literally plug in most anywhere in town to either a destination charger or a J1772 and get more juice while your enjoying the food/sights.
    Makes me wish I was there. Enjoy!
  3. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Stouffville, ON Canada
    Nearly every Motel in Custer and the Chamber of Commerce has Tesla destination chargers.
  4. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Nov 10, 2014
    The Americas
    Whilst at Custer, drop in at the Chamber of Commerce while charging at any of the half-dozen or more chargers in the parking lot to say hi to Dave. Ask him about the upcoming 4th Annual Sound of Silence Black Hills Tesla Rally, and how Custer became the most EV-connected small town on the continent.

Across the street are good salads and better craft ale at Bitter Esters (yes, there was an Esther).

You won't be disappointed if you tour the visitors center at the Crazy Horse National Monument near town as well.

All of the above including the charging can be done in an afternoon.
  5. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Yes, Custer has the highest number of charging locations per capita of any small town. I highly recommend the wild life loop at nearby Custer state park.