Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi factor authentication broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem I'm having is that, once I provide my ID and password, it asks for the 'Passcode'. Google searches yield these instructions:

1. Sign in to your Tesla Account with your email and password. Then, tap 'Profile Settings.’
  2. Under Multi-Factor Authentication, tap ‘Manage.’
Well, I don't see any 'Profile Settings' choice. Without the passcode, I'm stuck. I'm just looking for a QR code to set up my authenticator and I can't seem to get past 2nd base. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Let me know if this post should be moved to another forum.

TIA,
David

Last edited:
The problem I'm having is that, once I provide my ID and password, it asks for the 'Passcode'. Google searches yield these instructions:

1. Sign in to your Tesla Account with your email and password. Then, tap 'Profile Settings.’
  2. Under Multi-Factor Authentication, tap ‘Manage.’
Well, I don't see any 'Profile Settings' choice. Without the passcode, I'm stuck. I'm just looking for a QR code to set up my authenticator and I can't seem to get past 2nd base. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Let me know if this post should be moved to another forum.

TIA,
David
Hmm, sounds like somehow you managed to setup 2FA without syncing your Authenticator app, which I didn’t think was possible….

@drschwartz you will need to contact Tesla support to redo your MFA.
The important safety tip - don't setup MFA on a single device, instead use an app on your phone that also syncs to other devices so you don't lose your MFA sync.
If it helps I use 1Password which syncs on my phone, my Mac and my PC so I can login on any of those devices and still use MFA.
There as several other apps like that such as Keeper etc that work the same way. Then you can replace your phone without killing MFA.

For background, MFA is a decent step up and much more secure than just passwords. The idea is that MFA is the "something you own" part of the security equation, which makes it much harder for someone to steal. Almost like a physical key - and just like a physical key, losing the only copy is not great.
Syncing copies to other places really helps.