TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Music on USB drive not playing

Discussion in 'Model S' started by manis, Jul 10, 2015.

1. manis

manis Member

I've only had my car for 2 days so I haven't had an opportunity to really try to troubleshoot this.

When I picked up my car I plugged in a USB 3.0 drive that is formatted as ext4 and has a mix of FLAC and MP3s that are playable on my laptop. I am able to browse the drive via the touchscreen, but when it tries to start playing it says unable to play (both FLAC and MP3). I've tried several albums, artists, formats, all ripped at different times.

Any ideas?

2. eggy

eggy Member

For me it worked only formatting the usb drive with FAT32 using MP3 files. EXT4 didn't work. Never tried FLAC files.
    Suggest to try FAT32!

3. dkonigs

dkonigs Member

You might want to try checking the file permissions on the drive. I had similar issues with some content I copied to mine last night, and that turned out to be the cause.

To cover all bases, something like the following should clear it up:
    $ find /path/to/drive -type d -exec chmod a+rx {} \;
    $ find /path/to/drive -type f -exec chmod a+r {} \;

4. manis

manis Member

That was it! I forgot I had the umask set to 077. Working perfectly now and sounds great!

Thanks!