TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Music with wireless USB stick

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by clicketyclack, Oct 6, 2018.

1. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

Has anyone tried to use a wireless USB stick for music in their car? I would ideally like to add music to the stick without ever needing to take it out of the car. Just wondering if this is possible and if so which USB drive would be the best.

2. Drax

Drax Member

I haven’t tried a wireless usb, but I do use an old iPhone I had laying around.

I imagine this would be a great solution for dealing with files from the dashcam though. May have to try it!

3. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

Yeah dashcam was what started to get me thinking about this, I'm not exactly sure how the wireless sticks work though

4. R1Fast

R1Fast P3D Blue/White

Rumor in this thread is that WIFI doesn't work on the SanDisk (really only option avail.) when it's plugged into USB.

5. Wahbash

Wahbash Member

Can anyone tell me what the proper folder setup should be for music on a USB or SSD? I have all my music converted to flax format, but am wondering if I should just dump it onto the disk in the root directory, or does it need to be in a specific folder?

Also, I have a specific Playlist - does that need to go in a specific folder? I noticed the teslamusic program put Music and Playlists in separate folders. Picking my 3 up next week and want things to be ready!

6. CruzinTX

CruzinTX Member

Congratulations on your M3. The music can go on the root drive of the usb stick. I have mine mp3 format. I've read the protected ones from itunes will not show. Have fun and enjoy your new Tesla.

7. Drax

Drax Member

Just for fun I got a WiFi SanDisk USB stick off Amazon, and it’s basically been a nightmare. Nothing works as expected (if at all) and it’s too much work for not enough return, so I’ll be returning. I had another spare usb stick laying around that I was able to partition and load all ~34gb of music I still have and it works great for music and dashcam storage, provided I pause the recording prior to exiting.

Even though it’s a bit of a PITA right now, I’m still thrilled they gave us this feature and am excited about future enhancements to it.

8. Wahbash

Wahbash Member

Wow I just realized this thread was for WIRELESS usb. I fail. Thanks for the responses.