Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Hyperloop Connecting NYC to DC in 30 Minutes Received ‘Verbal Government Approval’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said today on Twitter that The Boring Company received “verbal government approval” to build a Hyperloop connecting New York with Washington DC. Musk said a trip between the two cities would take 29 minutes.

It’s not clear what government agency approved the project.

The Boring Company has been touting that New York to DC speed on its website since May.

An FAQ says: To solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic, roads must go 3D, which means either flying cars or tunnels. Unlike flying cars, tunnels are weatherproof, out of sight and won’t fall on your head. A large network of road tunnels many levels deep would fix congestion in any city, no matter how large it grew (just keep adding levels). The key to making this work is increasing tunneling speed and dropping costs by a factor of 10 or more – this is the goal of The Boring Company. Fast to dig, low cost tunnels would also make Hyperloop adoption viable and enable rapid transit across densely populated regions, enabling travel from New York to Washington DC in less than 30 minutes. 

The Boring Company recently began digging an underground tunnel system that would stretch from Los Angeles International Airport to the city of Santa Monica and Chicago officials are considering a tunnel to provide service between O’Hare International Airport and the Chicago Loop business district.

Musk said on Twitter that the Los Angeles and New York to DC projects will run in parallel. A Los Angeles to San Francisco route will come next, followed by a project in Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
This news surprised me. It was my understanding that Elon had said many times in the past that he did not have time to commercialize his Hyperloop proposal, and that The Boring Company was focused on building tunnels more cheaply. Until just now I have never read anything to indicate that The Boring Company would build a Hyperloop.

I also did not know about this, quote: "The Boring Company recently began digging an underground tunnel system that would stretch from Los Angeles International Airport to the city of Santa Monica "

I thought all they had done was build a very short tunnel under Crenshaw Blvd to connect the SpaceX parking structure to the SpaceX buildings.

"The Boring Company recently began digging an underground tunnel system that would stretch from Los Angeles International Airport to the city of Santa Monica "

The guy really hates to sit in traffic. Once he makes it to LAX, he can take a left and tunnel to spacex.

Why don't they start with transporting stuff first and people later. Reduces trucks and pollution on highways. Many more complications, regulations and obstacles to transporting people (AC, bathrooms, etc.).

Chicago and probably other cities built freight tunnels pre automobile because surface traffic had become deadlocked.

Chicago’s Forgotten Underground Freight Tunnels

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Chicago and probably other cities built freight tunnels pre automobile because surface traffic had become deadlocked.

Chicago’s Forgotten Underground Freight Tunnels

So there's precedent!

I've said since Musk's first Hyperloop comments that if it never carries a person and only carries cargo, it would still revolutionize transportation.

Imagine full intermodal shipping containers arriving in NYC from the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach in 4 hours or less.

Certain unions will probably get in line to object, but... too bad.

Imagine full intermodal shipping containers arriving in NYC from the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach in 4 hours or less.

Isn't this somewhat of limited benefit if the stuff offloaded at the ports had already spent weeks at sea? As a % of total journey time the investment seems disproportionate to me.

Electrifiying/improving the rail network would seem a more obvious candidate if spending this sort of money.

Elon Musk said today on Twitter that The Boring Company received “verbal government approval” to build a Hyperloop connecting New York with Washington DC. Musk said a trip between the two cities would take 29 minutes. It’s not clear what government agency approved the project. Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/07/20/musk-says-hyperloop-connecting-nyc-to-dc-in-30-minutes-received-verbal-government-approval/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Government says they are unaware of any verbal approvals.

Elon Musk said today on Twitter that The Boring Company received “verbal government approval” to build a Hyperloop connecting New York with Washington DC. Musk said a trip between the two cities would take 29 minutes. It’s not clear what government agency approved the project. Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/07/20/musk-says-hyperloop-connecting-nyc-to-dc-in-30-minutes-received-verbal-government-approval/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Musk's tweet is just silly. This sort of project would require many types of approvals from various agencies at the state, federal, and local level; more importantly, it would require legislation budgeting a large amount of government funding.

"Verbal Approval" just isn't a real thing. Sounds like, at best, someone in the White House (or maybe DOT) told Musk that the White House (or DOT) was "intrigued" or "interested" in the project. There's a big difference between that and an actual "approval."

I find it astonishing that it now appears the Boring Company is actually going to start digging a Hyperloop tunnel. How is that being financed? Tunneling is expensive.

There are at least two other commercial companies that say they are developing Hyperloop technology. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that is not yet public information.

I find it astonishing that it now appears the Boring Company is actually going to start digging a Hyperloop tunnel. How is that being financed? Tunneling is expensive.

There are at least two other commercial companies that say they are developing Hyperloop technology. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that is not yet public information.

Per Elon, it’s being financed one hat at a time.

Personally, I’m waiting for the Pet Snail Gary line of apparel and obligatory shoe, er, slime trail contract before loading up.

There’s some quiet progress making way under the Hawthorne airport from the SpaceX parking lot as well.