Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk/Trump/Model 3 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not starting this thread as a political thread. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Mine just happens to be a very strongly held conviction when it comes to Trump. Clearly I'm not a supporter. I realize Elon is a business man first and foremost but he has somewhat cozied up to Trump and made some other questionable comments. Things that Trump could do that affect me directly. Anyway, I'm having 2nd thoughts about my Model 3 reservation and thinking of getting something else instead. Is there anyone else that has felt or feels the same way?

I am not starting this thread as a political thread. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Mine just happens to be a very strongly held conviction when it comes to Trump. Clearly I'm not a supporter. I realize Elon is a business man first and foremost but he has somewhat cozied up to Trump and made some other questionable comments. Things that Trump could do that affect me directly. Anyway, I'm having 2nd thoughts about my Model 3 reservation and thinking of getting something else instead. Is there anyone else that has felt or feels the same way?

Elon made very strong anti-Trump statements before the election. He's very clearly not a supporter.

Elon is 'working' with Trump in the same context that Schindler 'worked' with the Nazis. He can do more good as a 'friend' than as an enemy. Elon is one of the good guys and he needs our support.

Yes, and I would consider an alternative but for one small problem: when you look at the competition, you quickly realize there isn't any.
There are plenty of banks out there who are not Wells Fargo, though. Sayonara Wells.
Robin

Yes, and I would consider an alternative but for one small problem: when you look at the competition, you quickly realize there isn't any.
There are plenty of banks out there who are not Wells Fargo, though. Sayonara Wells.
Robin

That's very true. I wouldn't really consider another electric car because there's no comparison right now. 3 years from now maybe, but not now. So it would be this or an ICE for 3 more years.

Although I don't buy their "partial zero emissions" boast (I think that's just greenwash), I do know that Subaru's NA plant has gone a very long way to becoming a "zero waste" facility, and that's a great thing. No reason for any manufacturer not to cut back on waste, except they did it.
Robin

I am not starting this thread as a political thread.
yes, you did
I realize Elon is a business man first and foremost but he has somewhat cozied up to Trump
no, he hasn't
and made some other questionable comments.
it's naive to expect others to always do what you want 100% of the time
Things that Trump could do that affect me directly.
could/would/should - until it's did it's just idle speculation
Anyway, I'm having 2nd thoughts about my Model 3 reservation and thinking of getting something else instead. Is there anyone else that has felt or feels the same way?
Please do, the rest of us will just get ours that much sooner.

There are car companies and other businesses that do align with certain ideologies. You can easily find which companies support LGBT rights or have strong environmental records. If it's not important to you fine. If it is then that's great too. Not sure why you're upset over this.

What would you have Elon do? Quit the counsel and work from the outside? Do you really think that would be more effective? He supported Hillary over Trump very vocally. Social issues aren't Tesla or Elons focus... I haven't found much of a stance in either direction but they both have an environmental record that is above reproach.

Anyway, I'm having 2nd thoughts about my Model 3 reservation and thinking of getting something else instead. Is there anyone else that has felt or feels the same way?

The way I personally look at it, I am much more passionate in my support of Tesla, the Model 3, and their underlying missions than I am in my [considerable] opposition to 45, so the thought of cancelling over Elon's attempts to find common ground with this administration has never occurred to me. Elon strikes me as the rare breed of entrepreneur who is simultaneously a gifted visionary and methodical pragmatist, so if his calculation is to adopt a more tactical (Trojan Horse?) approach for the next four years in order to preserve his vision for the next forty*, I respect and support that decision.

Now, all of that said: the question you've raised is about your next car and your experience owning it. If, for any reason, Elon's association with this presidency will detract from that ownership experience to the point where you'd be happier driving something else, then drive something else -- there's no imperative to justify that decision. In the meantime, Tesla's reservation system gives you the luxury of sitting back and watching how all of this plays out (or doesn't). We're only a month in -- it's still very early in the game.

* Please, let there be a next forty! :eek:

Reactions: CCWgr and strykeroz
What would you have Elon do? Quit the counsel and work from the outside? Do you really think that would be more effective? He supported Hillary over Trump very vocally. Social issues aren't Tesla or Elons focus... I haven't found much of a stance in either direction but they both have an environmental record that is above reproach.

For me personally this isn't a normal administration. So the norms do not apply. In my opinion we have never had this kind of insanity. Sometimes you need to take a stand even as a business person and say no. Tons of tech companies have already done it. Like I said this is my personal opinion and I was curious if others were like minded. I'm not passing judgement on anyone and what car they buy. This was simply a question I had.

Reactions: T34ME
For me personally this isn't a normal administration. So the norms do not apply. In my opinion we have never had this kind of insanity. Sometimes you need to take a stand even as a business person and say no. Tons of tech companies have already done it. Like I said this is my personal opinion and I was curious if others were like minded. I'm not passing judgement on anyone and what car they buy. This was simply a question I had.
I'm guessing you weren't around to experience Nixon.
Robin

I never expect anyone to think as I do.
It sure came across that way.

But it's my choice to do with my money as I wish.
No disagreement there, it just seems to be a "cut off your nose to spite your face" decision as it's far better for Musk to be there and potentially influence things for the better than to have Trump surrounded by a bunch of Yes Men.