Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX - SW v. 17.17.111

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Teslonians

I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on how the software upgrade process is rolled out.

I've got and have been on 17.17.111 for ages.

I seem to see many version numbers with higher second and third parts than this in various posts.

Am I missing something.. literally. Like the latest version.

It's a 2017 MX with ap2.

Any ideas guys/girls...?

I'm afraid there is no logical order to it and you can be first for one update and last for the next. All we know for sure is that the updates aren't rolled out at the same time. It may well be they discover bugs, halt the roll out, fix the bugs, restart and so on. I'm in an S and way behind on 17.17.4.

There is a theory that driving to a service centre and entering their wifi zone can trigger it, and if you have a service or other work done it tends to come out updated. Unfortunately both these have also not proved 100% reliable. Neither has the theory that cars connected to wifi overnight get them before cars on 3/4G.

I believe that on occasion the car can try to download and if it tries and fails more than a few times it stops trying. A call to tech support should clear that one up.

I'm in no rush to be honest, there have been so many reports of bugs I'm happy to wait. Although I am also on holiday so when I get back I may get a bit more antsy about it!

Parking near WiFi can help - the car will eventually update over-air, but usually sooner if WiFi available (once the car has been added to the list for updating).

You can use a sight like TeslaFi to tell you what version you have, and how long you've had it (assuming you didn't make a note) and also what the rest of their fleet has and what percentage is still on your version / a newer version, which is helpful in telling you whether you should be expecting the release yet, or have got a problem worth a service call.

They must be reading the posts as I had a notification 3 hours ago that there is a software update available. I'm not home until Friday night so it will have to wait. It's a shame you can't trigger it from the app.

Honestly. I've been meaning to post back that the very next day after I posted this I received the update. Was a crazy coincidence.

And yes. Luckily I did not hold my breath.. it's was a bit of a damp squib. Display brightness. Perpendicular parking and else which was so unexciting... I've forgotten already.

I was hoping for some massive AP upgrade which would allow me to sleep on my commute through London while the car whisked me to work as smoothly as silk.

In fact. I would have probably have been quite content with automatic wipers.. like the last 5 significantly less spectacular/technologically capable cars I've had.

I really can't work out why the car can't wipe its own window.

I really can't work out why the car can't wipe its own window.

Because on AP2 cars they didn't install the usual rain sensor, believing that the camera/radar set up could do the job instead. Seemingly it can't, or the software development needed has been deferred for more important projects. The fact that we have a brightness control suggests to me that they have have dropped a clamber and the camera/radar can't do the job after all.

I mean, the forums are full of AP2 owners demanding brightness control, not once have I read of anyone wanting auto wipers :)