Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX vs M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X vs. 3 should be a question of if you need one vehicle size or form factor over another. You will never like a model 3 if you cannot haul people or things you need. You may be satisfied with an X if you get the P100D, but it will never be as fast as a P3D.

Isn't the 0-60 time on the M3 PD 3.5 seconds as compared with 2.9 seconds on the MX P100D? Not saying that the M3 wouldn't be a blast to drive, but I do think the MX is still the quicker car (for something in the range of double the price).

I agree that these are vastly different cars. That's really the most important factor here - I have the MX specifically to be able to haul lots of people/gear up the mountains to ski, or to a backpacking trip, or for occasionally transporting large objects (already helped someone move furniture, and fit a portable air conditioner in without needing to tip in on its side). I came from an Outback, which I loved for this flexibility, so that made a lot of sense for me. If I wanted a fun daily commuter that had great range for road trips, but didn't need as much space, I'd have ended up with the M3, no question.

• Love
Reactions: Peteybabes
Well i think i’m Convinced enough to get the M3P for now to see how I really like my first EV and consider the X when i’m Ready to retire my ICE which I love for its ability to haul crap and handle icy weathers.

hopefully by then, the refresh on the X will have better range, handling, and improvements as well.
For those who have both, did you get a 200Amp subpanel to feed two HPWC? Preparing to get electrician to install wiring soon .

Reactions: arathald
Some things I didn’t like about the MX was: unacceptable loud noise while in ludi mode(the rep said it was the cooling), handling not quite like the X6m.

That noise probably started when you put the car in Ludicrous+ mode. This is normal. The car is just keeping itself cool to optimize performance.

Well i think i’m Convinced enough to get the M3P for now to see how I really like my first EV and consider the X when i’m Ready to retire my ICE which I love for its ability to haul crap and handle icy weathers.

hopefully by then, the refresh on the X will have better range, handling, and improvements as well.
For those who have both, did you get a 200Amp subpanel to feed two HPWC? Preparing to get electrician to install wiring soon .

The X is okay for towing smaller loads short distances. Towing long distance is tough because it reduces your range significantly.

Regarding driving in winter, range will be reduced in cold weather, but Memphis winters are mild so it shouldn't matter that much. The P100D will give you plenty of range and the traction in winter will be better than the X6M (assuming comparable tires).

I am installing a 100 amp subpanel that will eventually feed one HPWCs and give me the option of feeding a second. 200 amps would be overkill. The P100D only uses max 72 amps.

That noise probably started when you put the car in Ludicrous+ mode. This is normal. The car is just keeping itself cool to optimize performance.

The X is okay for towing smaller loads short distances. Towing long distance is tough because it reduces your range significantly.

Regarding driving in winter, range will be reduced in cold weather, but Memphis winters are mild so it shouldn't matter that much. The P100D will give you plenty of range and the traction in winter will be better than the X6M (assuming comparable tires).

I am installing a 100 amp subpanel that will eventually feed one HPWCs and give me the option of feeding a second. 200 amps would be overkill. The P100D only uses max 72 amps.

If we got snow, that’ll be great but we get the nasty ice whenever winter arrives . Also , if I use two hpwc, and eventually have two EV, if having 150amps+ allow two vehicles to charge at once ? Or is 100 still sufficient? Trying to futureproof.

If we got snow, that’ll be great but we get the nasty ice whenever winter arrives . Also , if I use two hpwc, and eventually have two EV, if having 150amps+ allow two vehicles to charge at once ? Or is 100 still sufficient? Trying to futureproof.

For load sharing HPWC 100a is what u need ..if u want to run them both same time than you probably need bigger main service ? ...also I came from X5M few years ago ..I had KW suspension ..my stock X P100D handles about the same ...I attribute this to that heavy battery at bottom ;)...I would definitely check the X P out before getting P3

We were actually in the same situation about a month ago. I've had a Model 3 reserved since day 1 but after much discussion and actually test-driving an X; we decided it was a better fit for our family. We even got to see the Model 3 in person at the Dallas store when visiting.

The primary factors for us were:
1. Due to the numerous tax benefits including those available to business owners, there was a significant financial incentive to go with the X.
2. We do own a 16' enclosed trailer that occasionally we must use to transport some stuff.
3. My daily driver right now is a Toyota 4-runner, and while I do not use the off-road capabilities: I do frequently use the large storage capacity for transporting tools and equipment. It's also currently our go-to vehicle for any family outings or road trips.
4. The main negatives was less range and an increased initial cost of the X.

Ultimately, we decided to order a Model X 75D, with the intention of making the 4-runner my wife's daily driver and offloading our smaller coupe.

Well... remember that Model 3 reservation? My wife has become intimately interested in it rather than inheriting our 4-runner which had been the plan all along. I'm not completely sure what we'll end up doing - but getting both may not be completely out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: P85_DA