Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX won't wake after update...help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the notification that an update was ready for my P100D last night (finally). Started it off around 8PM. Charging stopped and the update started. When I woke this morning, the center console said the update was complete and it was verifying (or something to that effect). I tapped the <close> button on that screen, and then everything went blank.

Now, the car won't wake. Both consoles blank. The driver door opens when I walk up so it's not completely brain dead. No response to reset attempts. Called roadside assistance, they had me do another reset attempt to no avail. They're sending the tow truck now (well, 4 hours from now as I had an appt I had to go to first thing).

So, before the tow truck arrives and hauls my shiny new MX away for God knows how long, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any super secret reset procedures to try that will wake my baby? TIA.

If you have a USB plugged into your car, make sure that is removed before further troubleshooting. I have heard of cases where corrupt USB file systems can block the car from starting up normally - this happened to a neighbor of mine just last week.

Try "Power Off " go to settings from central console. Good luck.

Thanks, but no center console....

If you have a USB plugged into your car, make sure that is removed before further troubleshooting. I have heard of cases where corrupt USB file systems can block the car from starting up normally - this happened to a neighbor of mine just last week.

I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks. Any other suggestions before the tow truck shows up?

Hold down the 2 roller buttons on the steering wheel AND the brake pedal for 5 seconds. Release.

All screens should go dark for 10-15 seconds or so. Air conditioner will also shut down.

Wait.

One by one the systems should come up over the next minute or so.

FWIW, I do this after every update to ensure things start "fresh".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
Thanks, but no center console....

I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks. Any other suggestions before the tow truck shows up?

I would run through your normal troubleshooting steps (potentially with Tesla Support) once the USB is removed, including attempting to reset your vehicle with the instructions you've received. If this is the cause, it will be clear in the first few minutes. Good luck!

Reactions: lakemirror
Hold down the 2 roller buttons on the steering wheel AND the brake pedal for 5 seconds. Release.

All screens should go dark for 10-15 seconds or so. Air conditioner will also shut down.

Wait.

One by one the systems should come up over the the next minute or so.

FWIW, I do this after every update to ensure things start "fresh".

Already tried, with service on the line. Nope. With brake pedal depressed. Neither the two button nor the 4 button restart worked. Service had me hold them for 60 seconds. Nothing.

Do you know if it was the 2019.16 update? My screen went blank too for 5 mins after multiple reboot attempts. It finally booted up and working just fine now. I was a little freaked out too because I was running late to work that morning. I received a new 2019.16.1 last night and no issues so far. Good luck with your car.

I went through a week of this after a failed update from 12.1 to 12.1.1.

Troubleshooting... after the update has been downloaded and the car installs it. It then runs a check to ensure the update went fine. In my case, it shows that the update process failed for whatever reason.

I have never had an update fail before. Usually the update happens overnight and the next morning, I am greeted with the Release Notes.

In this instance, I come back to a dead car. What happens is... after the failed update, the computer stays on. Not sure what it's doing. But left that way, it can deplete the 12v battery down below 12.2v. When this happens, the Tesla stop charging the 12v battery from it's main battery pack.

Some of the 12v systems will still work. i.e. Door and key fob recognition. All the computers will not respond. Regardless of the reset methods used. The way I was able to restore function is removing the frunk to get to the negative battery lead and disconnected. Wait for a minute and reconnect.

Afterwards, the car function just fine. And if you caught it in time, the 12v battery will still be above 12.2v... and the Tesla system will start to charge it back up. Outputting >13v to it if you check with a multimeter.

Last edited:
Do you know if it was the 2019.16 update? My screen went blank too for 5 mins after multiple reboot attempts. It finally booted up and working just fine now. I was a little freaked out too because I was running late to work that morning. I received a new 2019.16.1 last night and no issues so far. Good luck with your car.

No, don't know which update it was. I was on 2019.8.5

More info... knowing how to get the car out of the state yours is currently in. I was able to attempt the update multiple times. And sat in the car and watch the process and resulting error each time. And each time requires the 12v battery disconnect and reconnect. Tesla support pushed new updates a number of times. But for some reason, that update firmware that is already sitting locally on the computer seem to be the one that the car attempt to install first. I monitored the Tesla internet activity and I don't see that it's downloading the new updates that Tesla support pushed to the car.

This is the result of the fail update. If you were in the car before the 12v battery got depleted overnight to the point the displays are blank, you'd see a similar result after the update failure.

tesla_error.PNG

If you disconnect and reconnect the 12v battery as I stated earlier, the car functions like normal. Just make sure to postpone the update if it pops up again.

When my service appointment came, I was able to drive the car over. I thought it would be a quick fix that Tesla can purge the bad copy on the car and download a new one. But it was apparent after a few hours that Tesla tech had issues too. Upon arrival to the SC, I elected to wait for the car versus taking the loaner. The service rep to his credit, did come and update me every couple of hours and offer the loaner vehicle. In hindsight, I should have taken the loaner. Because from 8:30 to around 2 before the service rep said they are having issues and need to have their engineer look at the issue as the update isn't taking.

Sometime the next day, I got the call that the car has been updated to 12.1.2...and ready for pick up.

Hey @lakemirror,

I've just come out to drive my car (MX) and i have the exact same issue, MCU is dead and no number of reboots would get it working, i also called service and have a tow truck on the way. I know we're thousands of miles apart but how strange that two MX owners would experience the same issue at about the same time.. Last time i drove my car was around 10AM your time...

I never got any notification to say there was an update ready or anything, car seems to have gone to sleep and just never woke up :( According to support my 12v battery is fine or was the last time it called home last night

Hope you get your car sorted, would be good to know the cause to see if we do in fact have the same issue.

Hey @lakemirror,

I've just come out to drive my car (MX) and i have the exact same issue, MCU is dead and no number of reboots would get it working, i also called service and have a tow truck on the way. I know we're thousands of miles apart but how strange that two MX owners would experience the same issue at about the same time.. Last time i drove my car was around 10AM your time...

I never got any notification to say there was an update ready or anything, car seems to have gone to sleep and just never woke up :( According to support my 12v battery is fine or was the last time it called home last night

Hope you get your car sorted, would be good to know the cause to see if we do in fact have the same issue.

No resolution yet. I got a friendly service tech on the phone yesterday who said it appeared that the update crapped out while installing overnight, never finishing installation, and while it just sat there the 12v battery drained. I was able to put a 12v source on the battery and wake the car. We tried the update again, same result. Tech kept working with me but finally said they needed the car in the service center.

So the tow truck finally showed up at 8pm, turns out he didn't have a strap he need to load me up SO rescheduled for 7am.

I'll miss my car.

After reading this post I logged into my Tesla App and Car wouldn't respond. The App showed connectivity failure.
I was freaked as I thought a rogue update pushed over all the MX 100D late night has also bricked my car - so I rushed to my parking. Thankfully - nothing was broken! The car welcomed me with the open door (really like it) and it seems car was in deep sleep so wouldn't respond to the Mobile App.

I hope they find out the root cause and fix your car ASAP. It's hard to live without a Tesla! All the best!

Sad to see your Tesla getting towed like that. I hope they get it going soon. Keep us posted on the status and if they have a diagnosis on ultimate cause of the update failure.

FWIW, after an update failure I put a wifi access point in the room next to my garage to ensure it always had a strong Wifi signal to get updates, especially map updates.