Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 220V adapter for about $30 in parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My version of the Quick 220.

Charges safely at 12 amps continuously. Of course the car has to be dialed down to 12 amps and one should know what they are doing when handling.

Attachments

• 220V_Adapter2.jpg
    220V_Adapter2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 220V_Adapter.jpg
    220V_Adapter.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 157
Just knowing electric circuits. It's not rocket science. Just need to be aware that once on plug is plugged you can get shocked on the other plug if it's still in the open. But that's just something to be aware off and I will be the only one using this.

My version of the Quick 220.

Charges safely at 12 amps continuously. Of course the car has to be dialed down to 12 amps and one should know what they are doing when handling.
Sorry but it's Sunday and my brain is not working well.
What is this and what does it do?
You have a voltmeter in a box which is reading 248 volts.
You say it's a 220v adapter. Is the input 220? How did you get 248 from 220?

Just knowing electric circuits. It's not rocket science. Just need to be aware that once on plug is plugged you can get shocked on the other plug if it's still in the open. But that's just something to be aware off and I will be the only one using this.

There is a small but very real possibility you aren't going to be the only one using this. Eg. you use it on the road in a condo, maid comes in trips over the cord, unplugs one plug, goes to plug it back in, gets shocked. Or your wife does the same. Or a visiting friend's kid does the same.

For about $30 more in parts, you could have built the same thing, but made it safe. See post 23 onwards of this thread for a schematic of how it could be built to be safe.

Generating 220V from 110V on the go or in a host garage overnight

His box combines two 120V legs from receptacles to output 240V, all voltages nominal (ie. US residential voltage varies away from 240V up or down often by 10V or more, and if commercial 3 phase electricity is used, the nominal voltage could be 208V).

His box combines two 120V legs from receptacles to output 240V, all voltages nominal (ie. US residential voltage varies away from 240V up or down often by 10V or more, and if commercial 3 phase electricity is used, the nominal voltage could be 208V).

Yes I could have added two relays to make it safer but decided not to. Honestly just build it for emergencys to have it in the car. I doubt I will use it very often.

• Disagree
Reactions: newtman
Thanks, cosmacelf, I think I understand now. Looks like he has built an adapter to combine two 120 volt circuits (assuming he can find two sides of the split phase) into a 240 volt, 12 amp circuit.
Also looks like he has not put in any safeguards so this is a very dangerous circuit. He'll probably electrocute someone (maybe himself) sooner or later.

Thanks, cosmacelf, I think I understand now. Looks like he has built an adapter to combine two 120 volt circuits (assuming he can find two sides of the split phase) into a 240 volt, 12 amp circuit.
Also looks like he has not put in any safeguards so this is a very dangerous circuit. He'll probably electrocute someone (maybe himself) sooner or later.

Trust me, I will not electrocute anyone. That's why I said above this is for someone who knows what they are doing and not for everyone.
I worked a lot on hot cirquits before that I know not to kill myself or hurt anyone with this.

I've actually used my 240v combiner a few times on the road. Stayed in a rented condo overnight, and needed a relatively full charge for the next day, with no other option other than combining 120v receptacles.

I guess I would worry more about having to use an extension court then the box itself. If one is used then it should be AWG 14 at least.

There is a small but very real possibility you aren't going to be the only one using this. Eg. you use it on the road in a condo, maid comes in trips over the cord, unplugs one plug, goes to plug it back in, gets shocked. Or your wife does the same. Or a visiting friend's kid does the same.

For about $30 more in parts, you could have built the same thing, but made it safe. See post 23 onwards of this thread for a schematic of how it could be built to be safe.

Generating 220V from 110V on the go or in a host garage overnight

I don't have a wife, I electrocuted her a long time ago :)