Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Autopiloted MYLR experience in northern Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in northern Europe (Norway) and FSD is not active here yet, but Autopilot is. During our easter holidays I drove a MYLR (rented) which is a 2022 model made in Shanghai. It has Autopilot and capable of previewing FSD. I updated the software in the car just before the trip (to 11.3.something).

The 1000-mile trip experience is summed up here:

• The Autopilot works quite well on highways and larger roads with proper road markings. Snow, ice, dirt or other things that either wear away or obscures the road striping seems to confuse the Autopilot somewhat. Still, its able to show were the road is going most of the time, but not always. If the striping is gone for more than 50 meters, Autopilot often disengages (I am surprised by how little striping can be left with the Autopilot still working). I have been driving for up to 1 hour without problems for some stretches (bare roads).
  • I started out with roof bars and nothing on them. The reason was that I picked up a roof rack for skis on the way. It was a Skiguard 830S that is a compact rack for skis up to 210cm length (about 82inches). The good thing with it is that its height is only 27 cm (11 inches) and it has a slightly curved form that matches the MY and its roof bars. Projected range and actual range was not much affected for lower speeds (80kmp/50mph), but was more affected at higher speed (110kph/70mph). Autopilot seems to understeer with the roof rack on (when full). It gets closer to the road edge on left turns and closer to oncoming traffic for right turns. The understeering is less for slower speeds.
  • The Autopilot has problems with roads that does not have a central striping between driving directions. Smaller roads doesn't have this here. The rule is simple: No central striping on the road, don't switch on the Autopilot.
  • The Autopilot system seems to read the speed signs correctly unless they are LED-based speed signs. Parallell roads can also confuse the speed limit. The car position on the map seems to be a little off.. which sometimes results in the car position "jumping" to another road... Maybe its a calibration thing, but still confusing.
  • In highways, traffic entering the road has a speed lane that merges from the right towards the rightmost lane. In the merging section there is no striping between the speed lane and the rightmost lane. The car will "wiggle" to the right then to the left again as it thinks the road gets broader.
  • Phantom braking is a nuisance here as everywere else. It happens much more often in sunny conditions or with yellow/black striped warning signs within sight. Some incidences are mild (less than 10kph speed change), but a few are harder (>30 kph/20mph speed change). I had a hard break that happened inside a tunnel with no other traffic in sight...
  • Low sun(-light) can obscure the cameras. This will disable the Autopilot.
  • Supercharging on the MYLR is awesome. Route planning is much better than any other car I have had. Not really an Autopilot thing, but I had to add it. :)
All-in-all the trip was a great experience with alot of volume for skis, bags and stuff. The long range and fast charging added to the good experience. 4-wheel drive is not only good to have when you drive into the mountains, it helps to stay on slippery roads. Autopilot doesn't work in snowy conditions. Most roads here are covered with snow 6 months a year, so that is a big drawback.

I will get a midnight cherry red MYLR sometime later this year which will give a good comparison between Berlin made and Shanghai made MYLR. As others have noted, the suspension is a little stiff on the Shanghai car. With a fully loaded car being close to 6000 lbs, it handles well. Icy roads tend to get a little "bumpy" in spring time, so stiff suspension might be a good thing actually. I have added the $6000 FSD feature to my order. Slightly costly for something that doesn't work...
Screenshot 2023-04-20 3.45.39 PM.png

Thanks for sharing!
During summer I am planning a road trip in Norway starting from northen Finland and going all the way to Oslo. Around 4.000 km and for sure will use Autopilot as much as possible. Cannot wait to see the Norigian landscape

I might need to use few non tesla chargers, any advice on that?

Last edited:
I have added the $6000 FSD feature to my order. Slightly costly for something that doesn't work...View attachment 930334
It's your money but you might as well burn it.

It won't be legal in the UNECE (of which Norway is a part of) for a few more years and even then it might be heavily nerfed, if Tesla even gets it to work on European roads.

In Norway you will be able to use it 6-7 months of the year.

Thanks for sharing!
During summer I am planning a road trip in Norway starting from northen Finland and going all the way to Oslo. Around 4.000 km and for sure will use Autopilot as much as possible. Cannot wait to see the Norigian landscape

I might need to use few non tesla chargers, any advice on that?
Sorry for this late reply. I haven't used non-Tesla chargers on it, but there are plenty around. I had a KIA e-niro for 5 years and we always chose the non-Tesla option when we had that (but then again, Tesla didn't open those chargers until recently). The big issue is that non-Tesla chargers are usually quite slow compared to the 250kW Tesla ones. And since there are often 20+ Tesla chargers with always a few open spots, you usually go there (instead of waiting in line with the Volvos, BMWs, Audi's and whatnot for the CCS chargers). If you plan to drive in nothern Norway, then you may need to use the non-Tesla chargers. Check out
Kart
for a map (but set the filters to get rid of non-fast chargers).

It's your money but you might as well burn it.

It won't be legal in the UNECE (of which Norway is a part of) for a few more years and even then it might be heavily nerfed, if Tesla even gets it to work on European roads.

In Norway you will be able to use it 6-7 months of the year.
That is not true. Its already legal in Germany with a license. EU passed legislation for that in April and it was passed into German legislation within a few days.
Bosch tests L4 driverless cars on German roads
Still not for us, but its going in the right direction.

That is not true. Its already legal in Germany with a license. EU passed legislation for that in April and it was passed into German legislation within a few days.
Bosch tests L4 driverless cars on German roads
Still not for us, but its going in the right direction.
There has been legislation in Germany and UNECE standards for L3 on highways for over two years and for up to 130km/h for a year. Tesla FSD is not, and will not be, a L3 system on existing cars. UNECE R157 is the autonomy on highways standard. The standard for L2 drive-assist is called UNECE R79 will will at some point, 12 months, be replaced by the UNECE DCAS. Then we need regulation after that on the EU level, or in your case, the national level. Norway is not at present positive to this development looking at the working group protocols.

The FSD L2+ "DCAS" is still in the working group. If we're extremely lucky it will allow NoA with automatic lane changes in a year. I bought FSD in 2019. I wouldn't buy it today. Safe the cash for something else is my advice.

Last edited: