Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my biggest gripe battery wise is>>

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
That when you hit a super charger on a trip after like the batter fills up 1/2 way its just so darn slow after that. I know one day they will have quick charge batteries that will fill up as fast as they do when almost empty- or is this just the nature of LL batteries like this? \

2nd i wish tesla could increase range via software upgrades getting more efficiency.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
That is a matter of physics for the current battery chemistry, and the need to balance the longevity of the battery.

Battery can accept charge quicker without damage when it is near empty, fast charging is likely possible even at high state of charge, but would lead to accelerated battery degradation, something Tesla has programmed their cars to avoid.

Future battery chemistry may change this.

Generally a good tactic is to arrive at the super charger with low state of charge and charge no more than what is needed (with a 5-10% buffer) to get to the next charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
That when you hit a super charger on a trip after like the batter fills up 1/2 way its just so darn slow after that. I know one day they will have quick charge batteries that will fill up as fast as they do when almost empty- or is this just the nature of LL batteries like this? \

2nd i wish tesla could increase range via software upgrades getting more efficiency.

Charging to 80% is an industry norm for fast charging. It doesn't take that long to get there.

There is only so much that can be done in a software update. At some point you just need more batteries.

Reactions: Rocky_H and SSedan
Rocky, I totally agree, notice the time they all started? I've read so many, seems to have a period within the last several months or yr at most. I can trace mine back by my log book. Almost to the date the SW update was uploaded.
But, it now takes me 6 more miles to get to JAX, and 2 more hours to DC.
I wish we could get a real answer from a battery engineer there. Here is my battery report today. Notice the sudden drop off.

Attachments

• 20190903_141605.jpg
    20190903_141605.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 70
Charging to 80% is an industry norm for fast charging. It doesn't take that long to get there.

There is only so much that can be done in a software update. At some point you just need more batteries.
I
the last 9 month, about 30,000 miles my charge rates have slowed down, I do not get above 107 KW for a rate and that is only between 23ish% and then starts tapering off at about 42% it take my about an hour+ to get to 80% 30 minutes to get to 50% the rate of the tapering has accelerated too.