Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car is constantly waking and making banging noises in the garage. Am I just being paranoid or...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried running their battery down low and then charging to a high SOC like 90% to see if it makes a change?

I’ve been sitting at 90% plugged in which means it keeps topping up. Now I’m wondering if it’s a cell balancing issue and maybe a deep discharge followed by full charge might help.

Curious as to which ceramic coating product you chose and how the process went for you?

I've been meaning to make a post but this week got a little nutso. I used the new Adams UV paint coating and everything turned out awesome. I claybarred with Nanoskin Autoscrub, polished using a TorqX Dual action polisher with Rupes yellow foam pads and Sonax Perfect Finish. coated with the adams UV paint coating and then used their Ceramic Boost 48 hours later. If I can get some free time soon I'll do a little writeup with pics.

Reactions: 12ed5ive
While supercharging in cold (for central Florida) at 5am, the car made loud banging noises while I was sitting in the car. Scared the *sugar* out of me. It was that loud. Every once in a while it made the noise.

I've had the car for a year and that's the only time it did that.

My car has drained more than 50% for five days.
Since we are WFH, we will see what would happen if 100% is drained and re-charge it.

Has anyone tried running their battery down low and then charging to a high SOC like 90% to see if it makes a change?

I’ve been sitting at 90% plugged in which means it keeps topping up. Now I’m wondering if it’s a cell balancing issue and maybe a deep discharge followed by full charge might help.

I've been meaning to make a post but this week got a little nutso. I used the new Adams UV paint coating and everything turned out awesome. I claybarred with Nanoskin Autoscrub, polished using a TorqX Dual action polisher with Rupes yellow foam pads and Sonax Perfect Finish. coated with the adams UV paint coating and then used their Ceramic Boost 48 hours later. If I can get some free time soon I'll do a little writeup with pics.
I'd appreciate it!

I too have this the day I got HW3 and 2020.12 so wasn't sure if it was due to the hardware or software upgrade.

Never used third party apps, but I disabled mobile access, Bluetooth, removed phone keys, uninstalled the Tesla app, unplugged all accessories/USBs, disabled sentry and a dozen other things.

In my case the car will go to sleep, and like clockwork wake up 2 minutes later, all day. Our garage shares walls and ceiling with the rest of the house so I hear it clunking all night, extremely annoying that I can't use the garage and only solution is to park it outside to get sleep (me, not the car).

I have filed a service ticket, but gave them timestamps and hoping they will be able to pull logs and figure out what is waking the car.

Edit: Just realized while typing this up I could try putting the car in sentry, that will keep it from sleeping (I assume) and avoid the constant clunking.

So I ended up canceling my service appointment. I pulled the rear seat and one of the seat belt buckle wires was unplugged. Clicked it back in and the restraint system fault went away.

Service told me via text they were escalating a session of the car constantly waking to engineering. I hope we get a fix soon.

Is this is a HW3 issue then? I haven’t taken my Model 3 in for the upgrade yet (probably available now) and was hoping to schedule in the next few weeks but might want to wait. I’m on 2020.8.1. Will be watching thread.

i am puzzled OP that your rear seat belt connection wasn’t attached and you are just now getting that alert. How long have you had your car?

I texted service too
So I ended up canceling my service appointment. I pulled the rear seat and one of the seat belt buckle wires was unplugged. Clicked it back in and the restraint system fault went away.

Service told me via text they were escalating a session of the car constantly waking to engineering. I hope we get a fix soon.

I just texted service asking them to escalate my issue too. No change over the weekend after changing passwords and making sure there are no 3rd party apps. Will report back

Reactions: dmark1021 and SK360
Is this is a HW3 issue then? I haven’t taken my Model 3 in for the upgrade yet (probably available now) and was hoping to schedule in the next few weeks but might want to wait. I’m on 2020.8.1. Will be watching thread.

i am puzzled OP that your rear seat belt connection wasn’t attached and you are just now getting that alert. How long have you had your car?

Picked it up 9/27. I had popped my rear seat cushions up before to test how flat the seats lay down so I’m assuming I knocked it loose and it finally made its way all the way loose.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
This is the first time my car has sat unplugged in my garage due to curing ceramic coating I just applied. Every minute or so it is making a loud banging sound like it is waking up followed by a minute or so of fan noises and then it quiets down for another minute and the same cycle.

I have never connected TeslaFi to my car or any other 3rd party tools. I have changed my Tesla account password already. I have sentry off when at home, cabin overheat and the summon standby are off. It is 60F in my garage.

Here is a video of the sounds

And here are logs from my WiFi network. It seems it is waking every couple of minutes and sending 2-3MB of data.
View attachment 522191

I have scheduled service for next week but I'm not sure if I'm abnormal or just paranoid.

Totally unrelated to the noises, but I am very curious. Which app is that, and what kind (brand/model) WiFi access point does it corresponds?

I don’t see this being a HW3 issue. I’ve had my Model 3 for a year, and HW3 for few weeks. This noise only happens for me, when I open the app to wake the car. I can only recall a handful of times outside of opening the app that it will wake itself up, without me opening the app.

FWIW.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset