Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car (literally) smells like dog #$@!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're correct. The car is not perfect, and this is a design flaw, plain and simple. Tesla will not admit it and do not have a fix for it other than repeated cleanings.

All I can do is post what I'm doing to minimize the impact, because I like more about that car than I dislike, and therefore want to keep it.

I agree - I believe this is a flaw, possibly something to do with the engineering of the air handling system - it's worse in my 2019 Model 3. Perhaps they corrected it with later versions. Certainly they've tried software fixes to leave the fan on but doesn't seem to help. We seem to find that if the air system is left on while the car is parked (say you are watching a movie, or handling phone calls or other work in the car) - the smell comes back faster. The other model 3 my sister has and my commuting S is never left on idling and no smell has returned.

My routine now is to ask for a filter change every 3-6 months tops - have them do the "cleaning" to remove the "smell" - they know what you're talking about and can do it with mobile. My 2016 model S has had this problem only once in 4 years and a similar cleaning made it went away and not come back.

I've done the air filter changing myself once too, but it's cumbersome to remove that screw in the footwell area to access it and well I figure I will let them do it. I might do this next one myself as I found when they use 2 cans of the Kool-It that seems to keep it at bay for a while. I haven't tried the dessicant mentioned above. Tried charcoal filters and didn't help - left air smelling like charcoal in the car

Gym socks rolled in dog poop. That's the smell. My 2018 3 had the same issue and it was terrible.

I thought I read that this was addressed in a software update? You can imagine how this would work - the computer would enforce some non-recirc air movement after you park if you've been driving in recirc mode and there's a chance of liquid accumulating... It might have other clever tricks.

All I know is this - a) I use recirc less, whereas before I used it 75% of the time and b) the smell is completely gone and I feel it got better after a software update... I could be making that up, memory is not to be trusted

TL;DR version: Car serviced to add HW3 computer; after picking up, car smells like poop for first 30-60 seconds from the vents

This is driving me nuts. About a month ago I drove 4 hours to Tesla Vancouver to have my computer swapped out. They took the car in and it sat over night and they performed the task the next morning and I went on my merry way.

The very first ride (from their covered parking to an appointment I had downtown) I did not notice anything amiss. For this reason, I absolutely accept that there may be no causal relationship between the service and the smell (but I'm not ruling it out).

When I came back from my appointment and got in the car and the A/C kicked in, I immediately smell a strong odor of dog poop. I figure I stepped in something and the vents are kicking up the scent. I get out and inspect my shoes. Nothing. I look at the floor mats and pedals. Nothing. I suddenly notice that my rearview mirror is askew (likely I just bumped it when trying to figure out where the smell was coming from) and thought maybe some stinky guy snuck into my car. No coins missing, etc, but I review all the Sentry video... nothing. Totally confused, I drive home. The smell is gone after a minute anyway, so no big deal.

But since then, everytime my car sits for any period of time at all (overnight, for example), the first time I start to drive... doggie doo again!

I cleaned the car as best I can and there's nothing obvious. I paid to have it detailed, but that didn't help. What could POSSIBLY be the cause of this... umm... mess?

I’m experiencing the same thing. I have a 2016 model X. I’m trying figure it out, looking for answers as well.