Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car (literally) smells like dog #$@!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR version: Car serviced to add HW3 computer; after picking up, car smells like poop for first 30-60 seconds from the vents

This is driving me nuts. About a month ago I drove 4 hours to Tesla Vancouver to have my computer swapped out. They took the car in and it sat over night and they performed the task the next morning and I went on my merry way.

The very first ride (from their covered parking to an appointment I had downtown) I did not notice anything amiss. For this reason, I absolutely accept that there may be no causal relationship between the service and the smell (but I'm not ruling it out).

When I came back from my appointment and got in the car and the A/C kicked in, I immediately smell a strong odor of dog poop. I figure I stepped in something and the vents are kicking up the scent. I get out and inspect my shoes. Nothing. I look at the floor mats and pedals. Nothing. I suddenly notice that my rearview mirror is askew (likely I just bumped it when trying to figure out where the smell was coming from) and thought maybe some stinky guy snuck into my car. No coins missing, etc, but I review all the Sentry video... nothing. Totally confused, I drive home. The smell is gone after a minute anyway, so no big deal.

But since then, everytime my car sits for any period of time at all (overnight, for example), the first time I start to drive... doggie doo again!

I cleaned the car as best I can and there's nothing obvious. I paid to have it detailed, but that didn't help. What could POSSIBLY be the cause of this... umm... mess?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Weird

Have you turned on the A/C and walked around the exterior to see if the smell is localized?

Maybe there’s a dead creature behind one of the coverings, in the frunk or the underbody

Very strange though - hope you figure it out, that would drive me up the wall

Uhm... did you piss off the tech? :oops:
You know what... I admit that crossed my mind. i wasn't super pleasant. I drove 4 hours to this appointment and they had explicitly told me I'd get a replacement car for the night and while the car was being fixed the next day. They KNEW I was coming near closing time. When I get there... that's when they tell me they don't give out loaners for Model 3 (I had an S before, so I assumed it was the same level of service) and the rental place they deal with is closed. So yeah, I was kind of livid.

They did quickly make it right though, by arranging Uber credits that more than sufficed.

I'm not saying I was a dick... but I was mad and didn't hide it. So while I DOUBT they did anything... lol... who knows.

I have a raccoon that sits on my truck at night. I don't usually drive it, because, well, I have a Tesla... But I drove it in a light rain a week ago and I'm pretty sure the raccoon is using the vent intake as a restroom :(

I would follow the other thread. But the summary is -
  1. take out panels
  2. take out filter
  3. fill with Klima Cleaner Pro (the whole can), I sprayed a good gob into the vent under the hood too.
  4. let sit for 20 minutes.
  5. Let fan run for 5 minutes with windows down
  6. reassemble, ideally with a new filter.
I had to do the same on our Nissan Leaf.

Haven't tackled the truck yet, but purchased a cover for it.

In the intake? No. And yes I stuck my nose in there :) Went inside and turned on the air, and yep... poopy yuk :(

That other odor thread is about mildew. There's nothing about the scent here that suggests mildew to me. Really does smell like dog crap. I'm not just saying that generically to describe a bad smell.

The other thread solved my problem - my vents smelled like cat crap - not quite the same as doggy doo, but definatly not mildew. PRoblem solved (for me).

The exact smell that the Tesla ventilation system can create due to the moisture build up can vary. It depends on the precise species of mold or mildew that gets in there and begins to multiply. Plus, different people have different perceptions of these scents and can describe them differently.

I've heard the scent described from different people as vinegar, gym socks, vomit, faecal matter, etc. All of those scents are perceptions, as the material is not any of these, and the perceptions can vary.

I would first recommend the A/C cleaning procedure given in one of the multitudes of threads on the subject -- Kool-It or Klima cleaner + filter change. If that's not enough, follow up with ozone treatment. Check my post here: AC odor removal and cleaning

I contacted Tesla, and they're sending a Mobile service person. There wasn't a lot of back and forth, so I'm guessing they've come to the same conclusion as you guys. They wrote:

to have the A/C evaporator cleaned and replace the cabin filter, that is probably the best course of action

I'm confident that you're right. Even though it smells like dog poop to me (now my wife admits she's not sure what it smells like, and my son just says "grooooosssssss"), I have been known to have a less-than-normal sense of smell. I've mistaken beer for urine, and urine for buttered popcorn (on scent alone!). No, I'm not a fan of buttered popcorn.