Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car lost all data!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I walk out of the mall on a perfectly pleasant day with the temperature around the mid-60s. Walk up to the car and there is no response. Take out my card and 'scan' it a couple of times before the car unlocks.

Get in. The screen is dark. Ok, I have seen the dark screen before and could still start driving the car.

But not this time. No drive forward, or reverse. Try a rest. Nothing. Try reset again after a short while, the screen wakes up. All driving stats are reset to zero. My car name is gone. All settings lost. Just the odometer mileage shows the number of miles driven.

Drive down to the service station. The technician thinks there is an issue with one of the onboard computers. Apparently, there are three. Tells me that it is not possible to recover the old data. He needs to look into this since this was a first for him. Gives me a loaner and send me on my way. It's 3 days since.

What gives? Anyone else out there have had a similar issue?

Join the dead computer club, mine is with Tesla and I got a crappy model s 70d circa 2015 lol. I never knew how much I dislike driving the model s and how great the model 3 is to drive.

Oh, there is a club now? So it's not as isolated as they made it sound !
Did you get back your car? How long did it take? What was the solution provided?

Edit: Never mind. I see you mentioned that the car is still with Tesla.

Mine didn't lose data, the Autopilot computer died, part of the several computers, so it had basic driving just no automated functions, emergency breaking, autopilot, speed limit signs, auto lights or wipers, etc. Actually got a text as I type this from Tesla, they're still working on it after swapping out the new computer, hope it's the new version 4 FSD computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gpa9504
Mine didn't lose data, the Autopilot computer died, part of the several computers, so it had basic driving just no automated functions, emergency breaking, autopilot, speed limit signs, auto lights or wipers, etc. Actually got a text as I type this from Tesla, they're still working on it after swapping out the new computer, hope it's the new version 4 FSD computer.

Good luck! Hope you get your car back soon.

Data backup and recovery should definitely be a possible feature, given all the data constantly being collected. At least the features I have personalized, like my car name, profile settings and driving stats, radio settings...
I wonder why it is not possible as of now.

Reactions: APotatoGod