Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car lost all data!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)
Got delivery end September 2018. Just shy of 6K on the odo.

Hmm, still new enough that we can hopefully chalk it up to "bad computer" that would be expected to fail in the early life of the car. I'm going to get nervous if we start seeing a lot of this around 30, 40K...
It would be a real setback to some of Tesla's goals if Model 3 becomes a car you don't want to own out of warranty (which of course will be the next FUD target regardless).

We often say that we can drive the car if the MCU dies or reboots. True but I found today I couldn't start driving until it booted up, because I have PIN to drive enabled.

Good thing I do not have PIN setup. In my scenario, the pin would be lost too I am assuming, and the car would be drivable?
If not, that would be a real bummer.

Hmm, still new enough that we can hopefully chalk it up to "bad computer" that would be expected to fail in the early life of the car. I'm going to get nervous if we start seeing a lot of this around 30, 40K...
It would be a real setback to some of Tesla's goals if Model 3 becomes a car you don't want to own out of warranty (which of course will be the next FUD target regardless).

So far Tesla was doing great to assuage customers with doing whatever they can, to give their customers confidence in this new tech.

Can't say the same for other aspects, with all the complicated pricing strategy for one, they are pumping out lately.

Just got a text asking me to pick up the car. Invoice says MCU replaced. Part number: 1098058-S0-K.

It is surely not the newer MCU, since the part list on Tesla website shows the part number ending with an L. 1098058-S0-K is not listed. Wonder why fit in the older one. I am sure it won't make a difference. But still..

Reactions: pscarroll
On the plus side, imagine if you'd been stuck with an ICE instead! Bet the model S seems pretty great compared to that :p
True dat! It was just interesting to drive a Model S and I don't like the interior, too confining for me, plus AP1 on a 2015 Model S was so inferior to what is available today, great to try it out but I would have rather had a Model 3 loaner or maybe tried out a Model X. I had actually driven the same Model S loaner before on my many service visits to fix Model 3 problems. I actually hard rebooted the loaner and put it on my Verizon Hotspot while touring the Lincoln Highway Museum today while it installed the 2019.8.3 update, Tesla never seemed to get it updated before themselves, just did a hard reboot on the loaner and it took to update, and took it through a touchless carwash as I hate to drive around a dirty car even though it's not mine.

Good news, I got my Model 3 back this evening. Tesla service center was awesome as usual and had my vehicle parked outside after hours and I picked it up and dropped off the Model S loaner. The service center staff is top notch, 100x better than Tesla telephone service, I swear they are clueless on the phone. My autopilot works again and seems to be a little bit better, still on 2019.8.5 and everything works. I don't think I got the upgraded FSD computer and still have AP 2.5 according to TeslaFi so I'll have to have the computer swapped out later this year if that ever happens. I hope this fixes my autopilot issues as I've had multiple cameras replaced previously, and if more autopilot failures happen I have a case under the PA Lemon Law to get a new vehicle as it's been a pain to have to have my vehicle in service so many times. I love my Model 3 (outside of the autopilot hardware failures) and really want to keep enjoying it, but it hasn't been a perfect experience. Hoping to make my first real video in a few days on YouTube to give a review when I finally turn over 25000 mile officially in a day or two.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
We often say that we can drive the car if the MCU dies or reboots. True but I found today I couldn't start driving until it booted up, because I have PIN to drive enabled.

You should be able to get by the PIN using the Tesla app and asking the car to Start under the Controls menu. The app will then ask for your Tesla password. Enter it and you should be able to drive.
I had the screen freeze and still didn't respond after I rebooted it. Eventually it came too while I was driving it back home. Only had that issue once a few months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
One would hope so, but apparently not. That would make recovery much less tedious.
What bugs me most is losing my lifetime kWh/h stats.

If stats are really important I would strongly recommend using a service like teslafi. Amongst the various stats it collects and is able to report on you get efficiency per drive, per day, per month and since you first start using teslafi.

Plus I like that can check my car's status without waking it up (which of course is what happens whenever you use the Tesla app).

If stats are really important I would strongly recommend using a service like teslafi. Amongst the various stats it collects and is able to report on you get efficiency per drive, per day, per month and since you first start using teslafi.

Plus I like that can check my car's status without waking it up (which of course is what happens whenever you use the Tesla app).

Good info. Will check it out. Thanks!