Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY charging rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YRide

Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2022
San Jose, CA
Have 3 MY’s for the moment, a 2020 MYLR, a 2022 MYP and a brand new 2023 MYLR.

I noticed that the first one I got, the 2020 MYLR, charges at 5mi/hr on the 110-120V mobile charger, but the two newer ones, the 2022 and 2023 both charge at 4mi/hr.

Did Tesla change the onboard inverter after 2020 so it’s not as fast?

Have 3 MY’s for the moment, a 2020 MYLR, a 2022 MYP and a brand new 2023 MYLR.

I noticed that the first one I got, the 2020 MYLR, charges at 5mi/hr on the 110-120V mobile charger, but the two newer ones, the 2022 and 2023 both charge at 4mi/hr.

The charging mi/hr is a bit contrived. Your 2020 had a smaller battery and range. The MYP has a shorter range. The 2023 has a bigger battery and longer range. It is probably just a difference in the math, not actual charging rates.

Reactions: YRide
kW is 1,000 watts. Watt is a unit of power, which is calculated by multiplying current with voltage.

Current is how fast the power is flowing, and is measured in amps. Think of this as what you control when you open the spigot on a hose. When it’s barely open and trickling, you have very few amps. When it’s wide open, you have a lot more amps.

Voltage is how powerful that current is. 30 amps at only 12v isn’t providing nearly as much power as 30 amps at 120v. But you still need just as big of a hose(wire) to deliver it. So if you have a standard garden hose(household wiring), you can get more power by turning up the voltage to deliver those amps in more powerful form, which is why 240v is common in power-hungry appliances and cars.

So at this point, we know that power(watts) = current(Amps) * volts. How do you measure how much power is delivered? That’s where time comes in. A kilowatt-hour is a kiloeatt(thousand watts) delivered over the course of an hour. If you turn the faucet on at a certain rate(current) and voltage to reach 1,000w flowing out, a kilowatt-hour is how much water is in the bucket after an hour.

An 80 kWh battery can hold 80,000 watts delivered over an hour(think supercharger). That’s the same amount of energy as 1,000w delivered over 80w(think 120v charging).

Hopefully, my tortured metaphor makes sense. It gets a lot easier when you wrap your head around the basics.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I did my first 110 charging yesterday and it shows
1KW +6KHW 9/12A. 112V
What does this mean? I can't find anything that explains how KW works.
And I'll add another little deconstruction to those numbers in the status...

1KW (the first number) is telling you the real-time charging rate.
+6KWH is how much energy you have put back into the battery during this charge
9/12A the actual current and max current available for charging. You are charging at 9 amps.
112V is the charge voltage

You can calculate the first number (1KW) by multiplying the voltage by the amperage in that status, so 112V * 9A = 1,008W or 1KW.
Next, you have added 6 kWh since charging, so that suggests that you have been charging for about 6 hours (6 hours times 1KW = 6 kWh).

Reactions: Happy Hippo
No, I guarantee you they are all receiving energy at the same rate.

That's because this figure is a second level calculation where it is scaling it by the efficiency factor of the vehicle.

Analogy time! Let's say you are using a gas pump to fill two vehicles and someone asks you how many miles per minute that gas pump puts out. Well that depends. If you're filling a Ford Focus or a Ford F-350 dually pickup truck, they have vastly different miles per gallon figures, so their "miles per minute" fill rate is going to be very different from that same hose, even though they are receiving gallons of fuel at the same speed.

There are slightly different efficiency constants for your different car models, so they round up or down a little differently on that mi / hr calculation.

I think the world would be a lot simpler if they didn’t try and dumb things down so much.

Displaying charge rate in terms of mi/hr is just silly. Especially when those are EPA miles that may depart from reality in a big way depending on conditions.

I think the world would be a lot simpler if they didn’t try and dumb things down so much.

Displaying charge rate in terms of mi/hr is just silly. Especially when those are EPA miles that may depart from reality in a big way depending on conditions.
I’m in the other camp. I love the mi/hr charge rate expression, because it gives me the exact context I want for driving, especially when I am in a situation with constrained charging time and upcoming drives. (And I am an EE so everything about power and electricity is second nature to me.)