Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Dent and Two Surprising Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla-certified shop here carries certifications for all the highest end brands and most expensive cars. They do absolutely gorgeous work. They're also a family-owned shop that's been in business a long time and works on a surprising number of "ordinary" cars.

They have two labor rates. The rate for "exotic" cars (of which the Model S may be the cheapest, ironically) is more than twice the rate for other cars. It adds up...

On the other hand as I was picking up my car recently there was a truck dropping off what appeared to be an Aston Martin DB11 in perfect condition... they were saying something about the owner wanting a custom color, if I heard right. Gives you some idea how the other half of the other half of the other half of the... well. How some people roll. :)

Pushing out aluminum dents is not as easy as steel dents, requires additional skills, and merits a higher rate. Steel has a memory and often pops right back into shape with some pressure. Aluminum does not, and sometimes has to be heated. Too hot and you can mess up the paint. I'd also check out the specific experience and references of someone who purports to repair aluminum dents.

All of his employees were trained by tesla at fremont...as i think all tesla certified people are.

All of his employees were trained by tesla at fremont...as i think all tesla certified people are.
I just don't understand what you are saying. Friend, ranger working at his shop, employees trained by tesla at fremont, but then paid by insurance at one rate for tesla, another rate for other cars. What exactly is the situation? What is the shop? I don't understand what any of this has do do with my assertion that working aluminum is more difficult and requires different skills??!!

I just don't understand what you are saying. Friend, ranger working at his shop, employees trained by tesla at fremont, but then paid by insurance at one rate for tesla, another rate for other cars. What exactly is the situation? What is the shop? I don't understand what any of this has do do with my assertion that working aluminum is more difficult and requires different skills??!!

sorry, all i was thinking was that the shop that wasn't "tesla certified" might charge less, idk. :)

It is true that aluminum repair is different than steel (equipment, chemicals, methods); however, a lot of cars and trucks are now starting to use aluminum so more shops are prepared to handle it correctly. For work that is purely cosmetic (surface dents etc that are minor enough that it is clear that the body structure was not affected), a shop that handles aluminum work on other high end cars should be able to do a perfectly fine job on Tesla, To wit, Mercedes and other high-end makes are starting to use aluminum in some exterior sheet metal applications, and there are shops ready to handle that. On the other hand, if there is damage close to high voltage wiring, a Tesla shop is the way to go. Just be prepared to be without car up to months in duration.

Last summer (2015) I had a 'run-in' with a large bungee cord at 70mph in the rain; it was caught in the right rear tire and really 'chewed up' the quarter panel, rear bumper, rocker assy. and passenger door, and caught a bit of the moulding around the taillight. The independent appraisal for the repair (NW Appraisal Service) came in at $5501.70, and Pacific Auto Body did an outstanding job for a total cost of $5681 (incl. some minor hidden damage). The insurance (Costco) paid in full, and to my surprise, my renewal premium 3 months later remained the same ($807).

Subsequently, I traded the 2013 85 for a 2015 85D similarly equipped (but with AP!). When Tesla's appraiser came to check out the car, he said that the paint was a "few microns" thicker on the rear door and wondered if the car had been in an accident, as he couldn't otherwise find any evidence of damage or repairs.

BTW, the new premium (same company-same coverage) is now $587. The significant cost difference is mostly in 'bodily injury' amounts, which, I'm only guessing, reflects a history of fewer and/or less severe injuries in a Tesla.

The Tesla-certified shop here carries certifications for all the highest end brands and most expensive cars. They do absolutely gorgeous work. They're also a family-owned shop that's been in business a long time and works on a surprising number of "ordinary" cars.

They have two labor rates. The rate for "exotic" cars (of which the Model S may be the cheapest, ironically) is more than twice the rate for other cars. It adds up...

On the other hand as I was picking up my car recently there was a truck dropping off what appeared to be an Aston Martin DB11 in perfect condition... they were saying something about the owner wanting a custom color, if I heard right. Gives you some idea how the other half of the other half of the other half of the... well. How some people roll. :)
I got my car fixed at Bel-Red in Bellevue.... Not sure how gorgeous of work one would consider this... I've had a lot of issues with this shop :(. Now that I finally got my car back... I see they didn't even do that great of a job on the simply things and have to figure out what to do next... Any suggestions? I let my insurance know and emailed the shop --- however, I think it would have been pretty obvious that the only quarter panel repaired now has a crappy looking stoneguard. They also somehow managed to damage the front stoneguard...

Attachments

• DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0102.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0105.JPG
    DSC_0105.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 51
Is there a listing of all the Tesla certified shops somewhere? If/when something happens it would be interesting to get estimates from multiple Tesla authorized and non authorized. Tesla in the certification process needs to manage not only quality but also price. It would also be interesting to see the Tesla Authorized contract. Its out there somewhere.

Is there a listing of all the Tesla certified shops somewhere? If/when something happens it would be interesting to get estimates from multiple Tesla authorized and non authorized. Tesla in the certification process needs to manage not only quality but also price. It would also be interesting to see the Tesla Authorized contract. Its out there somewhere.
Yes there is on Tesla's website. Find an Approved Body Shop. Today I realized that one of my body panels is out of alignment on one side... :(... The shop that keeps giving... Looks like USAA is going to assist with these issues.