Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My ghetto fix for frozen charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Toronto, and we have gotten an early blast of winter. Every time I have charged my car when it has been below 0C the tab that holds the charge cable in has gotten frozen and will not release the cable. What I had to do is from inside the trunk I pulled back the felt liner then removed the the orange cover from the back of the charge port and heated it until it released.

To try and fix it I warmed it thoroughly then blew out any moisture by blowing compressed air down the charge port from outside. There was moisture. I tried to dry it with a heat gun to try and dry any remaining moisture and sprayed some lubricating oil in it similar to wd40. This didnt work, the cord still refused to come out. This time I was at work and luckily I had a small heater with me and access to 110v power. I warmed it and it released.

So then the update came out where the tab is suppossed to relase after it is done charging. I charged overnight and sure enough it was frozen it the morning. So now I've had enough. I got out the tools and started to take the charge port apart to figure out a fix. I removed the 3 x 10mm bolts holding the charge port to the car. I could then pull the mechanism slightly back from the car to take a better look, but you can only pull it back a little bit because of the large wires. When I pulled it back I could see a power cord going to the solenoid that controls the tab. So I unplugged it and put everything back together and plugged it in. It charged but only at 16 amps from my HPWC which is set at 40 amps. It also gave an error saying cord may not be inserted properly.

OK, still determined to fix it, I took it apart again. I noticed that the solenoid would wiggle and is only held in by a tab on the bottom of it. So I took a screwdriver and held the tab back and wiggled the whole solenoid out. It was a bit of a struggle, and I was worried I might break it, but I got it out. I then plugged in the solenoid and just left it hanging. I put it all back together, reset the car, and what do ya know, it starts charging at 40 amps.

So sure now my cord wont lock, but I rarely supercharge and at work our lot is gated and not open to the public. Until a real fix is found i will leave it like this

Attachments

• orange cover.jpg
    orange cover.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 416
  • grey solenoid.jpg
    grey solenoid.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 296
  • solenoid out.jpg
    solenoid out.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 293
  • charging.jpg
    charging.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 288
"Means, make sure to press the button to stop charging before pull out."

..... I hadn't thought of that.

When I supercharged I did press the button and charging stopped, then I pulled the cord out. But I do see how this can be a real hazard. Especially because its DC at a supercharger, so it will arc. I should put a reminder note above the charge port to press the button

OK, this is not a good idea. I need to once again take it apart and find something better. I'm thinking I want to look at the recess where the tab is and make sure it has a drain hole at the bottom. If not drill one. I may not get to it for a few days

"Means, make sure to press the button to stop charging before pull out."

..... I hadn't thought of that.

When I supercharged I did press the button and charging stopped, then I pulled the cord out. But I do see how this can be a real hazard. Especially because its DC at a supercharger, so it will arc. I should put a reminder note above the charge port to press the button

OK, this is not a good idea. I need to once again take it apart and find something better. I'm thinking I want to look at the recess where the tab is and make sure it has a drain hole at the bottom. If not drill one. I may not get to it for a few days

Yea, that might be wise. Don't want to burn the car or even damage the charging port just for this fix.

When I saw the title for this thread, my first guess was that you found some always on power line (be it 12V or 400V), and added ~2W-5W heating element that runs constantly. While in theory it'll drain the battery, the amount is nothing really for the main batteries. Smarter yet, add normal mechanical switch on the heating element and hide it behind the lining with the release switch. When cold weather arrives, turn it on for the season. When summer is back, turn off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trevlan006
Tou are aware that you are supposed to hold the button down when you want to pull the charging wand out? I keep seeing ‘press and release the button’ even in YouTube videos and that may or may not work, depending on your luck and timing.

Tesla’s instructions clearly state that you should hold the button down until the ring/T turns white and then pull the wand out.

Do you know there is a mechanical release in the trunk for the charge adapter lock?? Did you try that and did it not work?

I suspect he has..
The problem us Canadians have been facing lately is that the solenoid part is freezing and even the manual release doesn't unstick it. This is why 44.2 was force-pushed to a lot of us. 44.2 apparently disables the locking mechanism (Tesla says they "optimized" it).

OP, I'm curious if you checked to see if you're still having the freezing issues after 44.2?

Do you know there is a mechanical release in the trunk for the charge adapter lock?? Did you try that and did it not work?
Yes I tried the the mechanical release. Firstly it is not a true mechanical release in that it seems to only activate the solenoid instead of being directly connected to the tab. Secondly, if the tab is frozen, the lever arm falls off the solenoid when you eventually end up pulling it too hard.

I also understand about pushing the button to release the tab. Doesn't work. It is definately frozen and only releases when heat is applied