Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My HW3 upgrade (all good)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BridgeMojo

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
Monrovia, CA
Last year there was a moment where Tesla was offering Full Self Drive upgrades for $2,000, and I bought one then.

I've been on the sidelines since then (about a year) in no great hurry, but hoping maybe they'd contact me and call to install the new computer. I have been driving a Model S built in July 2018 with HW2.5.

On a lark, early this week I tried requesting a service appointment for an FSD upgrade, with a note "It's been a year. Please let me know ahead of time if parts will not be available."

I made the appointment on a Monday, and it scheduled me at the Pomona service center for Thursday morning. By TXT message, they confirmed the appointment. On Tuesday I had a TXT offering a slot a day earlier on Wednesday, if I would like. I declined though, having arranged things around the Thursday appointment.

My wife followed in our second car. (I didn't want to take an Uber.) Dropped off the car at 9:15 a.m. using their "no touch" drop off procedure, with no problems. At 1:30 p.m. I had a message that the service was complete. I accepted the $0 invoice in the app, and picked up the car.

The first noticeable difference is that there's really no difference. :) They've done a beautiful job of supporting most of the same functionality in the HW2.5 processor.

I was expecting to have to calibrate autopilot after the install, but no, it was all ready to go.

The only difference I noted, which was also noted in another thread by someone tracking lane change performance, is that Navigate on Autopilot now does a better job of changing OUT of the passing lane. The HW2.5 code had regressed that feature a while back.

So ... all good. :)

Mojo

Reactions: EVortex
I scheduled mine this past Monday for Wednesday. A day later I received a message changing it to Friday (yesterday). The mobile tech arrived, my Model 3 was parked in our driveway. It took him less than 1 hour. He backed up my settings before starting and re-installed them after finishing the upgrade.

A+ service.

Last year there was a moment where Tesla was offering Full Self Drive upgrades for $2,000, and I bought one then.

I've been on the sidelines since then (about a year) in no great hurry, but hoping maybe they'd contact me and call to install the new computer. I have been driving a Model S built in July 2018 with HW2.5.

On a lark, early this week I tried requesting a service appointment for an FSD upgrade, with a note "It's been a year. Please let me know ahead of time if parts will not be available."

I made the appointment on a Monday, and it scheduled me at the Pomona service center for Thursday morning. By TXT message, they confirmed the appointment. On Tuesday I had a TXT offering a slot a day earlier on Wednesday, if I would like. I declined though, having arranged things around the Thursday appointment.

My wife followed in our second car. (I didn't want to take an Uber.) Dropped off the car at 9:15 a.m. using their "no touch" drop off procedure, with no problems. At 1:30 p.m. I had a message that the service was complete. I accepted the $0 invoice in the app, and picked up the car.

The first noticeable difference is that there's really no difference. :) They've done a beautiful job of supporting most of the same functionality in the HW2.5 processor.

I was expecting to have to calibrate autopilot after the install, but no, it was all ready to go.

The only difference I noted, which was also noted in another thread by someone tracking lane change performance, is that Navigate on Autopilot now does a better job of changing OUT of the passing lane. The HW2.5 code had regressed that feature a while back.

So ... all good. :)

Mojo

My experience was similar earlier this year with my March 2018 S. Emulation mode has been working quite well, but I am looking forward to the new native version. I did have a short calibration for about 10 miles or so. It was a good service experience for me, too.

Reactions: BridgeMojo