Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3LR '22 Range dropping oddly.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, have a '22 M3LR as titled. Picked it up here in Toronto Dec 2nd. Since late Jan to especially now I've noticed a drastic change in range. Further than
anticipated from just cold-weather.

Nothings changed, I park it where its minimal +11-13 degrees no matter what. I leave Sentry on when it's parked. In a 12hr period (overnight) it USED to drop 2% on
average in that title with Sentry on.
Now it's up to (or should I say down) 5%! Again, same environment etc. Nothings changed.

Also, yesterday it was only -2C, took it out for a drive around 6pm, off the charger so 80%. 10mins into my drive 78%. I drove about 20-25kms (I'll confirm later when I go to my car) and when I got back it was down to 66%. Parked it. Not plugged in. +13 in underground garage like always. Woke up, 61%!! That's 9hrs later.

Normal heat, music on etc.

I just don't recall this much drop when I first got it a couple months ago.

Thoughts ?

It’s well known Sentry is expensive.

About 1 mph. 24 miles per day. That’s a LOT.

Short drives in winter are a killer. You spend the whole short trip warming the cabin. So you are probably 300-400 wh/m. Then you park and throw all that heat away.

Average temps of your battery pack is what matters. Not the weather.

You mentioned an underground garage. The temps in the garage probably lag ambient temps by months. You can visit caves (ones not that deep) that have ice in them in 90F weather in July.

That underground garage was probably still cooling in December.

Sentry keeps the car awake, and while awake the car consumes around 250w. 4h means 1kWh, 12h means 3kWh... Your battery is around 60kWh total. 3/60 = 5%. You should be losing around 5% per 12h. That is normal.
EDIT: Sorry, that was for an SR+/RWD. I re-read your post and you have an LR, which has a 75-80+kWh pack. It won't be 5% but it's significant nonetheless.

I also park in a heated garage around 11-13C and the battery will show 1-2% less once it has cooled compared to recently driven or recently charged. Normal too.