Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 loves to Roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious why, when coming to a stop of any kind, that pressing slightly more firmly to engage Hold is not a workable solution. You needn't do anything else, and when you want to continue on, just press the accelerator..

Seriously. Just press the brake a tad harder after reaching to a complete stop. It’s so easy and such a great solution.

Some people are so stubborn and can’t adapt to good solutions. Stuck in their old ways that D MUST go only forward. Sheesh

Seriously. Just press the brake a tad harder after reaching to a complete stop. It’s so easy and such a great solution.

Some people are so stubborn and can’t adapt to good solutions. Stuck in their old ways that D MUST go only forward. Sheesh
I've driven a ton in San Francisco and even in a car with an automatic transmission the car will roll back if the hill is steep enough. The only way to prevent roll back is to simultaneously step on the accelerator while releasing the brakes. It's much easier to just use the Hold function.

I've driven a ton in San Francisco and even in a car with an automatic transmission the car will roll back if the hill is steep enough. The only way to prevent roll back is to simultaneously step on the accelerator while releasing the brakes. It's much easier to just use the Hold function.

Yup. Me too. SF has some good hills. In a traditional manual it’s tough lol. My cousin rolled back half a cars length when cars didn’t have auto hold features. In a E46 ///M3. She servived.

I never have this rollback issue but my wife does. Not sure why either, I guess there's allot of automatic transmission driver's that don't drive like I do. I learned on a manual but not sure if that matters.

My old Ford focus with dct (automatic clutch)worked the same way, as well. If you press the brake it will hold otherwise you have to give it some gas to clutch it, since it auto shifts into neutral at a stop to prevent excessive clutch wear.

But even with a manual it's better for your clutch if you hold the brake, so that's just how I learned. lots of reasons to press the brake instead of just relying on a transmission or clutch.

That is why I don't mind creep too, it keeps my foot on the brake where it should be, and allows me to slowly move forward easily like all the other automatic transmission cars. Meaning it's less work than with creep off since your foot should be on the brake anyways.

It's not about automatic vs manual to me I never understood this argument either. If you drive a manual you don't typically push the clutch in and shift into neutral for a short stop, you just clutch in and brake then release the brake and clutch forward then go.

Then again I never had one of them fancy manuals with the anti roll backwards stuff either, maybe that's the part I'm missing?
Fully agree. I drove manuals almost exclusively for 20 years, and miss them tremendously, but contrary to what some think, I feel that "Creep Off" doesn't mimic any of the good attributes of manual transmissions: the fun of rowing through the gears, down shifting, rev matching, all of which are not applicable to an EV. Creep Off mimics only the less desirable qualities of a manual - namely, the risk of rolling on an incline, and potentially less safe or less precise maneuvering at low speed.

I therefore prefer Creep to be turned on for the Model 3. In my stick shift cars, I could move forward or backward very slowly just by expertly manipulating the clutch, with my right foot hovering over the brake for safety. If Creep is off in the Model 3, the only way to inch forward is to press the accelerator, and then your right foot has to move quickly to the brake if necessary, which is less safe than hovering your right foot over it. (And no, I don't view using your left foot on the brake as a safe alternative.)

For stops on inclines, I find that Hold works very well, and indeed it engages almost automatically when the car senses that it's on a slope, with virtually no extra pressure on the brake pedal required. I do wish that it would always engage as easily; my last car had a dual-clutch automated manual, and Hold always engaged when I came to a complete stop, without any extra pressure on the brake pedal needed. This could make very low speed maneuvering (e.g., pulling into a very tight spot) a bit of a pain, as I had to hit the gas to get it to disengage, but there was a button on the console that allowed me to temporarily disable it.

I therefore prefer Creep to be turned on for the Model 3. In my stick shift cars, I could move forward or backward very slowly just by expertly manipulating the clutch, with my right foot hovering over the brake for safety. If Creep is off in the Model 3, the only way to inch forward is to press the accelerator, and then your right foot has to move quickly to the brake if necessary, which is less safe than hovering your right foot over it. (And no, I don't view using your left foot on the brake as a safe alternative.)

Why is 2-foot driving "safe" with a stick and not with a Tesla?

Never had a car that liked to roll backwards so much. Worried about winter.

Where do I ask if Tesla could simply add a software feature that automatically prevented this when in Drive (unless there is some benefit I dont know)
As you have discovered, the car already has that feature as standard. “Vehicle Hold”. Press firmly on the brake pedal when not moving, moving slowly or just as you are stopping. . It works great.

I am pretty sure in a two pedal push, brake wins and the car will complain to you. So not really a problem.
Yeah, I expect you're right, considering that accelerator pedals in even ICE cars tend to be electronically rather than physically connected to the throttle these days. Still, old habits die hard, I guess. I learned on a stick, with my left foot dedicated to the clutch, or idle when I didn't need to touch the clutch. I don't see it moving to the brake anytime soon.

Heck, I've done all three pedals pushed during a car club slalom event. Completely lost track of where my feet were and pushed everything down. Worked fine to stop me. Shouldn't be a problem in just about any car since brakes are stronger than engines even without special two-pedal accelerator lockout.

why in heck would i ever want a car to move backwards when in drive.

Encountered a use case just today, there are some train tracks on a steep hill. Train was coming and the car in front of me had pulled too far forward. It backed up and instead of me having to put the car into reverse to back up as well, I simply let off the brake a bit and slid backwards a foot or two then engaged hill hold. It was so much more convenient then having to switch to reverse.

Good one JeffK - while I would have attempted reverse - you did find a good use for the rollback feature!
Seems like a lot of drivers learned on stick here- it might just take some getting used to.

Tried Creep mode - and it seems similar to driving a regular automatic ice car. Didnt find a case when it rolled back. It did remove the HOLD feature though when selected.

Would still prefer a toggle in the menu that would be better in the hilly area where I live.

OP

Creep Mode is what you want. Today I engaged that feature for the first time in almost 7K miles. The car behaves like an automatic on an incline.

I immediately turned it off....with the stronger regeneration, I love not having the car move without me telling it to.