Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 loves to Roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had a car that liked to roll backwards so much. Worried about winter.

Where do I ask if Tesla could simply add a software feature that automatically prevented this when in Drive (unless there is some benefit I dont know)

Constantly rushing to press the Hold feature on breaks every time I am on a hill.

Where do I ask if Tesla could simply add a software feature that automatically prevented this when in Drive (unless there is some benefit I dont know)

Constantly rushing to press the Hold feature on breaks every time I am on a hill.
I use the Hold feature at every stop. It's one of my favorite things about the car since I hate holding down the breaks at stop lights.

Creep doesn't prevent rollback.

Hold does (and is much easier to engage when creep is off)
Creep absolutely does prevent roll-back, if you're on a mild-to-moderate incline and release Hold as you press the accelerator. With Creep on, you'll slowly move forward even if you release the accelerator - say, in a situation where you're inching forward as traffic starts to advance at a light. With Creep off, if you don't press the accelerator firmly enough or release it entirely, you WILL roll backwards, as there's nothing to fight gravity.

Creep absolutely does prevent roll-back, if you're on a mild-to-moderate incline and release Hold as you press the accelerator. With Creep on, you'll slowly move forward even if you release the accelerator - say, in a situation where you're inching forward as traffic starts to advance at a light. With Creep off, if you don't press the accelerator firmly enough or release it entirely, you WILL roll backwards, as there's nothing to fight gravity.

Something that prevents rollback only some of the time isn't really preventing rollback.

I don't want to have to guess if the hill I'm on is mild enough for creep to save me or not versus just using hold which always works.

Your "you turn off hold but don't press the accelerator enough to not roll" scenario seems really odd...

if I'm in actual traffic I'm gonna have TACC on anyway and don't care about any of this.

If there's no traffic in front of me (thus no TACC) why would I be so incredibly light on the accelerator that it would turn off hold without moving the car forward?

I use creep mode and literally never have this problem.

Reactions: LuPapa and evannole

Turning creep on reduces the tendency to roll back, just as automatic transmissions do.
I'm not sure what you mean by rushing to press the Hold feature, your foot should already be at the brake and all you have to do is press slightly harder to enable.

Or to put it another way, most people aren't seeing the problem.

most people aren't seeing the problem.
That is what I first thought, however, krazyK is saying that roll back happens more with the Model 3. I noticed it also but felt it was something that I would get used to just like starting from a stop with a manual transmission. It happens to me when I use regenerative braking just right approaching an intersection. Sometimes I don't hit the brake to set hold and roll back. Over time I've learned not to do this. But I've seen others complain that hold doesn't always get set and they roll back. I bet they just think it is set when regen stops them.

Why not, then add an option that sets Hold when car starts rolling back while in Drive. If you want to free wheel it you can put it in neutral and if you want to reverse, put it in reverse.

Reactions: krazyK
I get the hold feature and use it a lot. Would love something that is auto applied when the car hits 0.
ie: why in heck would i ever want a car to move backwards when in drive. In reverse - sure - but not when I always want the car to move forward. I just think it would be a great feature to add.

I was in a parking tunnel the other day that had an incline and the traffic in front of me was so slow. I'd move up a bit and then quickly press the brake to engage hold - worried I'd be rolling back into the guy behind me. Repeating this every few feet was a bit nerve racking (couldnt engage TACC as eventually I'd be at the parking gate and not sure if it would stop automatically)

I'll try creep - but I was just wondering if there was a reason anyone would ever want a car to move BACKWARD when in drive.

Thanks for all the responses!

I get the hold feature and use it a lot. Would love something that is auto applied when the car hits 0.
ie: why in heck would i ever want a car to move backwards when in drive. In reverse - sure - but not when I always want the car to move forward. I just think it would be a great feature to add.

I was in a parking tunnel the other day that had an incline and the traffic in front of me was so slow. I'd move up a bit and then quickly press the brake to engage hold - worried I'd be rolling back into the guy behind me. Repeating this every few feet was a bit nerve racking (couldnt engage TACC as eventually I'd be at the parking gate and not sure if it would stop automatically)

I'll try creep - but I was just wondering if there was a reason anyone would ever want a car to move BACKWARD when in drive.

Thanks for all the responses!

I do. I want the car to roll back when in D. If it’s on an incline and I want it to roll instead of having to put it in reverse. I like the neutral feel. It acts like my manual cars. I have control of the car.

Why do you need to rush to press the brake? Just control the car with the accelerator. To prevent it from rolling just keep light pressure on the accelerator.

I don’t see any issue with how the model 3 is designed. It’s perfect!

Reactions: brkaus
I do. I want the car to roll back when in D. If it’s on an incline and I want it to roll instead of having to put it in reverse. I like the neutral feel. It acts like my manual cars. I have control of the car.

Why do you need to rush to press the brake? Just control the car with the accelerator. To prevent it from rolling just keep light pressure on the accelerator.

I don’t see any issue with how the model 3 is designed. It’s perfect!

if they havnt learned in a manual they dont know what clutch control is so the concept of using counterforce via the accelerator pedal (Rather than the clutch pedal as the idle rpm is obviously 0 for an e-motor) is probably quite alien to a lot of automatic drivers.

Reactions: ebmcs03
I never have this rollback issue but my wife does. Not sure why either, I guess there's allot of automatic transmission driver's that don't drive like I do. I learned on a manual but not sure if that matters.

My old Ford focus with dct (automatic clutch)worked the same way, as well. If you press the brake it will hold otherwise you have to give it some gas to clutch it, since it auto shifts into neutral at a stop to prevent excessive clutch wear.

But even with a manual it's better for your clutch if you hold the brake, so that's just how I learned. lots of reasons to press the brake instead of just relying on a transmission or clutch.

That is why I don't mind creep too, it keeps my foot on the brake where it should be, and allows me to slowly move forward easily like all the other automatic transmission cars. Meaning it's less work than with creep off since your foot should be on the brake anyways.

It's not about automatic vs manual to me I never understood this argument either. If you drive a manual you don't typically push the clutch in and shift into neutral for a short stop, you just clutch in and brake then release the brake and clutch forward then go.

Then again I never had one of them fancy manuals with the anti roll backwards stuff either, maybe that's the part I'm missing?

Reactions: evannole
Tesla....please do not change a thing, there is nothing wrong with the way the car behaves on a hill.

I like the fact that there are 4 options when stopped on a hill or on an incline in traffic 1) keep pressing the brake, 2) use the hold feature, 3) feather the go pedal and 4) roll backwards. There may also be a 5th...creep mode. Given the ease of putting the car into hold mode I am unsure of what the issue is here....press the brake to stop the car and add a little more pressure when stopped...done. If one wants the car to move on it’s own without driver intervention, use creep mode.

Then again, I have owned a manual transmission car. As far as I’m concerned this is just physics and the car is doing what it should until I tell it to do something else (like engage hold after a 1 second push of the brake).

That is what I first thought, however, krazyK is saying that roll back happens more with the Model 3. I noticed it also but felt it was something that I would get used to just like starting from a stop with a manual transmission. It happens to me when I use regenerative braking just right approaching an intersection. Sometimes I don't hit the brake to set hold and roll back. Over time I've learned not to do this. But I've seen others complain that hold doesn't always get set and they roll back. I bet they just think it is set when regen stops them.

Why not, then add an option that sets Hold when car starts rolling back while in Drive. If you want to free wheel it you can put it in neutral and if you want to reverse, put it in reverse.
Big Trucks(Peterbilt,KW) with automatic transmission have this.... when on a hill the truck will not roll back. I agree the car should not roll back, does the model s or x roll back also?

I'm curious why, when coming to a stop of any kind, that pressing slightly more firmly to engage Hold is not a workable solution. You needn't do anything else, and when you want to continue on, just press the accelerator

I've had hill-holders on clutch cars before, gotta say I didn't like them but maybe I was too cool to need it ;)

Seriously though, Tesla already has what was requested from what I can see...