Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S door handles were upgraded to Model X handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I'll come clean. I posted this as a joke. I had two of my door handles fail within a week, so I scheduled a service appointment when the first one failed and then updated the notes for the appointment after the second handle failed. Apparently, Tesla doesn't read any updates that are made to the notes once they have scheduled your appointment. So a mobile tech came by to fix and he only had parts for the rear door, not the front door handle that I added later. The rear door is now fixed, but he didn't have parts to fix the front door. The paddle gear was broken, so he removed it and put things back together and this "upgrade" is the result. It even surprised the tech that the door works this way once the paddle gear is removed and everything is reassembled.

I now have to schedule another appointment to get this door fixed, but hey, at least I can open the door from the outside now and don't have to crawl across from the passenger side to unlatch the door. :)

Last edited:
OK, I'll come clean. I posted this as a joke. I had two of my door handles fail within a week, so I scheduled a service appointment when the first one failed and then updated the notes for the appointment after the second handle failed. Apparently, Tesla doesn't read any updates that are made to the notes once they have scheduled your appointment. So a mobile tech came by to fix and he only had parts for the rear door, not the front door handle that I added later. The rear door is now fixed, but he didn't have parts to fix the front door. The paddle gear was broken, so he removed it and put things back together and this "upgrade" is the result. It even surprised the tech that the door works this way once the paddle gear is removed and everything is reassembled.

I now have to schedule another appointment to get this door fixed, but hey, at least I can open the door from the outside now and don't have to crawl across from the passenger side to unlatch the door. :)

Interesting. We will need to play around with this.
We have seen doors open when the handle presents and it triggers the open microswitch due to the calibration being incorrect. Not sure how pushing it would trigger the open switch as it should not be able to contact the calibration screw. The pressure switch only presents the handle from what we have see.

Had this same issue when my driver handle was wonky. It would present then go back into the door. Press on the handle the door would pop out. Mobile ranger came and fixed it. Sure is less complicated but not ideal without an actuator to push the door open a bit more.