TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My model S just arrived - new car noises?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Nototrader, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

First night with our new USED p85d. This morning when getting in the car, as my wife was about to drive out of the driveway, the front of the car was making sort of hissing noises...as if something is blowing up full of air and then letting the air out. Almost like a tesla fart. Is that normal? Smart suspension? Also, some type of clicking sound up front...maybe when moving the wheels? Not sure. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. PaulR

PaulR Member

Don't know if this will help you, but it's interesting in any case.... sounds | Search Results | TeslaTap it's a list of common sounds made by that wonderful car.

3. tstafford

tstafford Member

Mine does the too from time to time. I think (but I'm not sure) that it is more pronounced when Max Battery is on.

4. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

You thinking both are normal sounds? The car has been driven less than 200 miles in the last six months. Maybe it's stretching itself out?

5. Roamer

Roamer Member

Air compressor. Cooling fans. Isn't it nice to be able to hear the cars systems.

6. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Thanks for the great resource!

7. tstafford

tstafford Member

I think it's normal, yes.

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

Remember if you have the air suspension that car settles and raises on it's own sometimes. So don't park over curbs and those parking stops.

9. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

My P85D has never made that sound. We do not have the air suspension.....

10. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

If those are freaking you out, just wait till you're plugged into a supercharger and the battery cooling fans kick on!

11. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

im just trying to make sure that all is acting as it should. never owned a tesla. have no clue what is normal and what is not normal. inflation and deflation of air sounds while car isn't moving in the garage didn't seem normal to me.

12. tstafford

tstafford Member

I think you're fine. As another said, it's very likely the cooling fans for the battery. Mine makes the sound you describe occasionally.

If you are worried about it one option is to record it and send the recording to the SC.

13. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

You're going to have an entirely new definition of "normal" in about a month when you're used to driving the car. Then the noises will be the least of your concerns and you'll wonder why you put up with all the ICE's drawbacks for as long as you did.
    Welcome to the family!