Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new grey 21" wheels.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My almost free 21" wheels mounted for the first time. I'd still prefer a 20". These were nearly free after wal-mart cut me a check for scratching the insides of the lips when mounting.

For the background of my quest to add these for cheap, see this thread:

Cost to add a 21 wheel set.......

The ride comfort is just a tiny bit worse than the 19s. No surprise. Tesla has been telling me that the reason the P85+ loaner I had was so much more compliant than my ultra stiff shake-you-teeth-out-of-their-sockets ride of my P85D is because the 21" wheels have a much softer ride due to the summer compound despite being lower profile. I called BS on that and upgraded to these(keeping my 19s of course for longer trips). Now I can go back to them and challenge them to tell my why March P85Ds are the only ones that have the largest anti sway bars. 28mm front and 23mm rear which are bigger than the ones I measured in January on P85Ds and WAY bigger than the April after Tesla dropped the + suspension.

20160306_131452.jpg

The grey compliments the dark grey of the car nicely.

Reactions: fillerup
Man, they look good, though. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to go with the 21s? Just looks?

Not just looks.

Starting with the reasons why I didn't get them when I bought the car:

• Efficiency - Didn't want decreased efficiency on long trips - However, after my first drive into work today, there was no penalty at all. It was 46 degrees out when I left and 55 degrees when I got to work. Normally this would result in 55% battery usage (90% down to 35%. The trip estimator estimated I'd have 35% which it's typically right on. It also estimated that this morning. But I had 38% left when I go to work with 308 wh / mile. I typically get 315 wh / mile at this temperature. In 70F temperature, I get in mid 280s. So for whatever reason that I can't explain, I actually get better efficiency on my 130 mile one way trip than I usually do. On top of that, the inflation pressure is 42 PSI (3 psi below recommended). Go figure.
  • Comfort - There is just enough difference to notice it's a tiny bit more firm but it's very minor. So scratch that reason.
  • Cost - There was no way I was going to spend $4500 to upgrade (not in addition to which is $6K) for wheels that I perceived as having other disadvantages.
  • Damage - These are certainly more prone to pothole damage. This reason still exists and is a good reason not to upgrade. That said, I don't hit potholes and the few roads I travel that have them I avoid even when new ones appear. So this was a very minor reason not to upgrade.
  • Looks - I'm not a big fan of the rubber band look. Do these look better than the 19s? Just a little. The 19's profile were just a little too tall. If Tesla had a 20" option, I would have paid good money for that. Better looks and less likely to be damaged than 21s.

Now why did I do this after all:

• Got them for $940 delivered + 220 for sensors + $20 for center caps. Much cheaper than if I'd paid $6K to add these and keep my 19s.
  • Handling - I have a stretch of backroad when I travel to work where the 19s showed their weakness. On the smooth corners, these handle much better. That said, the stiffness of the suspension on my P85D, which has bigger anti sway bars than P85Ds made before March and way larger than the ones made from April on when they dropped the + suspension, is a problem for handling on corners that have bumps.
  • Proving suspension is too stiff to Tesla - Tesla claims the reason my P85D and others' suspension from March '15 builds is too stiff is because the 19" wheels all season compound is a lot harder than the summer compound and that if I wanted my P85D to be as soft as the P85D I test drove and the P85+ loaner I had, then I should have gotten 21" wheels. So in part, this was to either prove me wrong at which point I'd be happy now or to prove them wrong at which point I could ask them to move on finding the actual cause.

Last edited:
OOh. Cool. Didn't think to buy those. Not sure if I really want those or not. If they sealed the holes from getting dirt in them then I'd probably get them.

If you're going to swap tires frequently for trips, you may want to get something other than the Tesla stock lug nuts. Tesla's have a stainless steel cap on them that can deform, especially if impact wrenches are used.

There's another thread here on the forum that I found that said that the Gorilla Automotive lug nuts work great: Think I found replacement lug nuts for the 21 wheels

Gorilla Lug Nuts
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61147CX Chrome 13/16 (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Hex Lug Nut, (Pack of 4): Automotive
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61147BCX Black Chrome 13/16 Hex (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size)-Pack of 4: Automotive

I've ordered some alternative ones that are supposed to be here tomorrow from McGard:

Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set (M14 X 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Lug Nuts - Cone Seat - Lug Nuts / Lug Bolts - Automotive - Products
Chrome/Black Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set (M14 X 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Lug Nuts - Cone Seat - Lug Nuts / Lug Bolts - Automotive - Products

The Gorilla ones are less expensive, but I was impressed by the McGard quality. Both are superior to the Tesla lug nuts.

Not just looks.

Starting with the reasons why I didn't get them when I bought the car:

• Efficiency - Didn't want decreased efficiency on long trips - However, after my first drive into work today, there was no penalty at all. It was 46 degrees out when I left and 55 degrees when I got to work. Normally this would result in 55% battery usage (90% down to 35%. The trip estimator estimated I'd have 35% which it's typically right on. It also estimated that this morning. But I had 38% left when I go to work with 308 wh / mile. I typically get 315 wh / mile at this temperature. In 70F temperature, I get in mid 280s. So for whatever reason that I can't explain, I actually get better efficiency on my 130 mile one way trip than I usually do. On top of that, the inflation pressure is 42 PSI (3 psi below recommended). Go figure.
  • Comfort - There is just enough difference to notice it's a tiny bit more firm but it's very minor. So scratch that reason.
  • Cost - There was no way I was going to spend $4500 to upgrade (not in addition to which is $6K) for wheels that I perceived as having other disadvantages.
  • Damage - These are certainly more prone to pothole damage. This reason still exists and is a good reason not to upgrade. That said, I don't hit potholes and the few roads I travel that have them I avoid even when new ones appear. So this was a very minor reason not to upgrade.
  • Looks - I'm not a big fan of the rubber band look. Do these look better than the 19s? Just a little. The 19's profile were just a little too tall. If Tesla had a 20" option, I would have paid good money for that. Better looks and less likely to be damaged than 21s.

Now why did I do this after all:

• Got them for $940 delivered + 220 for sensors + $20 for center caps. Much cheaper than if I'd paid $6K to add these and keep my 19s.
  • Handling - I have a stretch of backroad when I travel to work where the 19s showed their weakness. On the smooth corners, these handle much better. That said, the stiffness of the suspension on my P85D, which has bigger anti sway bars than P85Ds made before March and way larger than the ones made from April on when they dropped the + suspension, is a problem for handling on corners that have bumps.
  • Proving suspension is too stiff to Tesla - Tesla claims the reason my P85D and others' suspension from March '15 builds is too stiff is because the 19" wheels all season compound is a lot harder than the summer compound and that if I wanted my P85D to be as soft as the P85D I test drove and the P85+ loaner I had, then I should have gotten 21" wheels. So in part, this was to either prove me wrong at which point I'd be happy now or to prove them wrong at which point I could ask them to move on finding the actual cause.

Nice job -- this is exactly how I felt when I ordered ny P90D and just got them with the stock 19s (though I thought I was getting the dual spoke but they give me the slipstreams). Now I'm looking for 21 grey wheels or an 20 inch aftermarket option.
So how do you feel after a month of so -- any issues with the 21s?

My almost free 21" wheels mounted for the first time. I'd still prefer a 20". These were nearly free after wal-mart cut me a check for scratching the insides of the lips when mounting.

For the background of my quest to add these for cheap, see this thread:

Cost to add a 21 wheel set.......

The ride comfort is just a tiny bit worse than the 19s. No surprise. Tesla has been telling me that the reason the P85+ loaner I had was so much more compliant than my ultra stiff shake-you-teeth-out-of-their-sockets ride of my P85D is because the 21" wheels have a much softer ride due to the summer compound despite being lower profile. I called BS on that and upgraded to these(keeping my 19s of course for longer trips). Now I can go back to them and challenge them to tell my why March P85Ds are the only ones that have the largest anti sway bars. 28mm front and 23mm rear which are bigger than the ones I measured in January on P85Ds and WAY bigger than the April after Tesla dropped the + suspension.

View attachment 113945

The grey compliments the dark grey of the car nicely.

They look great! The ones on my Red TMS looks great too. I am considering switching to 19" purely because of the alleged incredible short life of the 21" tires. I will see how long these last. I think I would like to have a set of 19" dark grey like the 21" wheels I have now. I know Tesla does not offer the 19" in dark grey but If I found a good company selling reconditioned ones painted dark grey it would be tempting.