Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My own Model Y Front License Plate Mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stick on front plate is so ugly and seem very flimsy for such a nice car. I can go spend $100 buy one of those removable grill mount holder, but then people can easily steal them. If I drive without it, which in California, is illegal, I was told I can get fine up to $500. Looks like there's isn't much solution out there. So, I decided to make my own using aluminum bar and table vise. I like the outcome a lot. I have drove to Yellowstone from LA for one trip. From LA to Sacramento another trip. It holds up very well so far and show no air flow issue.

Attachments

• 20210524_152052.jpg
    20210524_152052.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 20210524_180811.jpg
    20210524_180811.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 294
  • 20210524_190331.jpg
    20210524_190331.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Model Y front license plate mod.jpg
    Model Y front license plate mod.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 388
@Morningsun, do you have a photo from further back of the front of the car with it mounted? I should have mentioned in my prior post- regardless of what California offers, what you've done actually looks like a rather nice solution. I too have been put off by the "easy/quick removal" aspects of many/most of the other license plate mounts.

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
The stick on front plate is so ugly and seem very flimsy for such a nice car. I can go spend $100 buy one of those removable grill mount holder, but then people can easily steal them. If I drive without it, which in California, is illegal, I was told I can get fine up to $500. Looks like there's isn't much solution out there. So, I decided to make my own using aluminum bar and table vise. I like the outcome a lot. I have drove to Yellowstone from LA for one trip. From LA to Sacramento another trip. It holds up very well so far and show no air flow issue.
You could scratch the bumper with your bar. Is it heavy?

I was going to buy stainless steel bolts and wing nuts from Home Depot but it ended up being about same price (before shipping) so I just decided to get this one from Etsy. Has great reviews and easy to do with the front plate bracket Tesla gives you. This is very affordable and no need to spend $100+ for the other removable front plate brackets.

A few months in now, how do you like this? I’m thinking about doing something similar and am curious how it’s worked over a longer term.