Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Plaid is bricked. Plugged in. Need trunk access.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. So sorry to hear @Spyderman09

I haven’t received an update from them since earlier in the week when they told me they were ordering the drive unit. Luckily for me, I’m heading off on vacation on Sunday for a week so it doesn’t matter for me if they don’t get the part. That said, I bet my wife that I wouldn’t get the car back until April. (Expect the worst hope for the best)

I couldn’t imagine dealing with this if it were my only car. Thanks for the stupid Uber credits Tesla! /facepalm.
Tell them you want a loaner. A warranty repair that takes more than a day or two is exactly when you should get one. And it should be as good as or better than the car you're having repaired. Then you can happily put miles on their loaner car and not worry about it while they take as long as they like. That's worked nicely for me in the past.

OK, latest update. Got word from the dallas service center that the parts to replace the rear drive unit arrived today and should be installed by end of the week. With any luck my car should be ready when I get home from vacation. Fingers crossed!
Good news. Still waiting on confirmation of parts but I'm actually taking silence this time as good news. SC told me that they would contact if parts did NOT come in and they needed to push completion date.

Reactions: Cysco
Car is done! At least, I got a notification from Tessie that it went for a drive (SC test driving it) and now it's being charged and it's showing up in both Tessie and Tesla app. Since the issue was that the car wasn't turning on, if they're driving it around, that's a great sign.

I am likely going to be picking up today (haven't gotten the text just yet) but fingers crossed it seems like the rear drive unit fixed it. @Cysco - you might be coming back to a nice post-vacation pickup!

Car is done! At least, I got a notification from Tessie that it went for a drive (SC test driving it) and now it's being charged and it's showing up in both Tessie and Tesla app. Since the issue was that the car wasn't turning on, if they're driving it around, that's a great sign.

I am likely going to be picking up today (haven't gotten the text just yet) but fingers crossed it seems like the rear drive unit fixed it. @Cysco - you might be coming back to a nice post-vacation pickup!
That’s great news!

Haven’t heard from them about timing, but no news is probably good news. They’re also addressing the vibration issue with my car so It’ll feel like a brand new car when I get it back. Really can’t wait. Congrats on your car being fixed. Fingers crossed this is the last major issue for a long time!

That’s great news!

Haven’t heard from them about timing, but no news is probably good news. They’re also addressing the vibration issue with my car so It’ll feel like a brand new car when I get it back. Really can’t wait. Congrats on your car being fixed. Fingers crossed this is the last major issue for a long time!
Yes! Agree. Just brought the car home and it drives like a dream. I didn't have much in the way of vibration issue to begin with and I'm happy to report I didn't feel anything different coming home. I will say that my SC knew about it, though (@jebinc ) and said "yeah, engineering is looking into the case, just be happy it's not an issue for you". So, word is definitely out there but sounds like no fix (that the SC knew about, at least).

I did share with them the findings of track mode/lowering and my contact chuckled and said "yeah, that would make sense" but didn't elaborate.

Def feels great to have it home! Enjoy the rest of your trip and it'll be great to pick up!

Last edited:
Yes! Agree. Just brought the car home and it drives like a dream. I didn't have much in the way of vibration issue to begin with and I'm happy to report I didn't feel anything different coming home. I will say that my SC knew about it, though (@jebinc ) and said "yeah, engineering is looking into the case, just be happy it's not an issue for you". So, word is definitely out there but sounds like no fix (that the SC knew about, at least).

I did share with them the findings of track mode/lowering and my contact chuckled and said "yeah, that would make sense" but didn't elaborate.

Def feels great to have it home! Enjoy the rest of your trip and it'll be great to pick up!
@Spyderman09 Did they offer any more on the “Engineering is looking into it”? They mentioned my case? Patient Zero? Any timing or fix indication?

@WilliamG

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Woah! Can't believe you guys have also had this problem. For reference, I detailed my car having this exact issue in the delivery thread.

Looks like my best case scenario is a 2 week repair which isn't ideal but could be worse.

I'm curious when you guys took delivery of your cars.

Mine was delivered on 3/5 and took a *sugar* on 3/7.

@Spyderman09 Did they offer any more on the “Engineering is looking into it”? They mentioned my case? Patient Zero? Any timing or fix indication?

@WilliamG
Well, they didn't mention any specific case - they used "the case" more to mean "the issue" generally - but the guy definitely knew what I was talking about when I said I've been seeing and reading a lot about acceleration vibration across Plaids/refresh S.

I said it a bit tongue-in-cheek (like a "hope you didn't intro vibration into my car when you were fixing the other stuff") but his response was way too clear for it to be coincidence/him brushing it off.

So, I imagine that you are either patient zero or patient "finally took seriously", @jebinc - I got a chuckle out of him when I mentioned I had also read about some potential solutions (i.e. your testing and results thread) which tells me perhaps (1) he is on the forum (or someone is in that SC), or (2) the issue is getting real enough traction that there's some sort of internal bulletin or something that he read.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I'm curious when you guys took delivery of your cars.

Mine was delivered on 3/5 and took a *sugar* on 3/7.
Current Plaid picked up 12/9 - only had about 950 miles on it (snow, etc.) before it went bad on 2/22. Prior Plaid (June-Dec 2021) had almost 6.5K miles on it without any issues. Definitely odd timing - staggered times suggest it's something that applied to all of us (firmware?) rather than build date.

Good luck re: the parts. My guess is now that we're going end of quarter and they need those parts for the cars they want to deliver vs. the cars they want to fix, hoping it doesn't lead to delay for you.

Well, they didn't mention any specific case - they used "the case" more to mean "the issue" generally - but the guy definitely knew what I was talking about when I said I've been seeing and reading a lot about acceleration vibration across Plaids/refresh S.

I said it a bit tongue-in-cheek (like a "hope you didn't intro vibration into my car when you were fixing the other stuff") but his response was way too clear for it to be coincidence/him brushing it off.

So, I imagine that you are either patient zero or patient "finally took seriously", @jebinc - I got a chuckle out of him when I mentioned I had also read about some potential solutions (i.e. your testing and results thread) which tells me perhaps (1) he is on the forum (or someone is in that SC), or (2) the issue is getting real enough traction that there's some sort of internal bulletin or something that he read.
Thanks for the additional color!

Reactions: Spyderman09
@Spyderman09 well, put me in the category of “not a happy camper”. Just checked the app to see if my car was done. New expected completion date is late next week. I texted the service team via the app and they’re all, Oh, we’re still waiting on a part even though we told you earlier this week that all the parts were arriving on Tuesday. Sounds like the exact runaround you got.

If the car isn’t done next week we will be going into week four. I know Tesla service is bad, but to truly experience it is mind blowing. I told them that if the car isn’t done next week that I’d like to discuss replacing it with a new one. Just not comfortable owning a 140k car that has been in the shop for going on a month. (Fat chance I know)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
@Spyderman09 well, put me in the category of “not a happy camper”. Just checked the app to see if my car was done. New expected completion date is late next week. I texted the service team via the app and they’re all, Oh, we’re still waiting on a part even though we told you earlier this week that all the parts were arriving on Tuesday. Sounds like the exact runaround you got.

If the car isn’t done next week we will be going into week four. I know Tesla service is bad, but to truly experience it is mind blowing. I told them that if the car isn’t done next week that I’d like to discuss replacing it with a new one. Just not comfortable owning a 140k car that has been in the shop for going on a month. (Fat chance I know)
Buyback case, Lemon it?

Buyback case, Lemon it?
I wouldn’t want to lemon it because I’ve heard tesla will blacklist you from buying a car from them again. I’m hoping that they’d be willing to discuss it out of good will. I know the odds are slim to none, but who knows. Besides, I’ve spent thousands on PPF, Tint & ceramic coating. Would hate to lose that money.

It seems like my case is tracking perfectly with @Spyderman09’s case. (Right down to the misinformation about the parts being delivered) I believe he ended up getting his late in week three of his service or early in week four. I imagine mine will be the same.

I wouldn’t want to lemon it because I’ve heard tesla will blacklist you from buying a car from them again. I’m hoping that they’d be willing to discuss it out of good will. I know the odds are slim to none, but who knows. Besides, I’ve spent thousands on PPF, Tint & ceramic coating. Would hate to lose that money.

It seems like my case is tracking perfectly with @Spyderman09’s case. (Right down to the misinformation about the parts being delivered) I believe he ended up getting his late in week three of his service or early in week four. I imagine mine will be the same.
@Cysco Then request a “buyback case” be opened via the SC Service manager. It’s a Tesla process with no lawyers involved. The point of contact for this process is the SC Service Manager (not SA). Good luck!

Reactions: Spyderman09

BOOOOOOOO. That sounds exactly like the runaround I got. I was told parts "are scheduled for delivery today" and then "got delayed" then "we expect them a week from now" ... if they had said a month up front, at least I would have been happy to receive it "early" when I got it in week three.

Really sorry to hear, @Cysco - that probably puts a damper on vacay, but at least try and enjoy it knowing that they should hopefully get parts in next week - once they actually come on it's a quick turnaround. Frustrating for sure.