Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My roadster arrives in less than an hour!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are crazy :)

Really briefly since it's midnight-30 and I should be in bed ...
Car arrived somewhat dirty. My sales rep is taking care of that by covering the cost of a full detailing job.
My headlights are continually fogging up. I'll be getting that looked at the next time a tech is in the area (TBD, shouldn't be long; I've read in here somewhere that another tech did some work to fix it).
Charging it -- so easy and natural.
Steering -- tough to make quick turns. Doesn't seem particularly worse than my last car that didn't have power steering.
Heat -- comes on very quickly. Granted it was 50F (versus 0F) so time will tell, but it seems good.
When the front fans come on, it's VERY loud. I think that could use a little work. It worries me how much those will be on in the summer (sort of defeats the purpose of a quiet EV).
The reverse lights are bright -- I can see much better behind me than I could in my STi.
Friend tailing me tonight said the tail lights (not brake lights, tail lights) were bright (as in, too bright). Probably LED artifact.
Headlights -- still evaluating them. I still think they're underpowered. With them fogging up, it's hard to get a good read.
My drive to/from work today ... pretty cool. I had the top off for the way there at 4pm. There was some traffic. About 30 minutes of secondary roads and a couple minutes of highway. It was so smooth and relaxing. The accelerator mapping ... well, I think Tesla engineers NAILED IT.
Top on while riding home in the dark -- pretty nice. Relatively quiet. I ended up blaring the stereo. Really enjoyed the ride.
Suspension -- softer than my STi. Haven't taken crazy corners yet so I don't have a good opinion on that yet but it tackles speed bumps and normal new-england bumpy roads (filled potholes, frost heaves, etc) quite well.
Cupholder -- hard to use one-handed.
iPOD connector -- also can't connect one-handed (I tend to forget to connect the iPOD until I'm already driving).
I've hit the wiper lever on accident twice now while pulling my hand away from the radio (adjusting the volume).
Soft top -- still takes me too long to get on / take off; I don't doubt I'll get much better at it though.
Trunk space -- have the 120 cable, UMC, soft top, my jacket, and a book bag (laptop bag) which barely fit, and there's almost no room left. The top and UMC cable eats up a lot of room.
Mass. State Inspection -- fastest inspection I ever had LOL. Very easy.
Power -- amazing. SO AWESOME to have full torque at a moments notice. Driving 30? Floor it? BAM! As in OMG WTF WOW. Really impressive. Really excited for the Model S (and the EV movement in general).
That's all I can remember at the moment....

My headlights are continually fogging up. I'll be getting that looked at the next time a tech is in the area (TBD, shouldn't be long; I've read in here somewhere that another tech did some work to fix it.

I can't find the thread right now but IIRC Tesla has a new gasket the Rangers will install that corrects this problem.

Car arrived somewhat dirty. My sales rep is taking care of that by covering the cost of a full detailing job.

I hope Tesla will keep doing little things like this with Model S. It's something that really helps set them apart from other manufacturers and, in my opinion, goes perfectly in line with their idea of recreating the auto industry.

My headlights are continually fogging up. I'll be getting that looked at the next time a tech is in the area (TBD, shouldn't be long; I've read in here somewhere that another tech did some work to fix it).
There is no perfect solution to this...

When the front fans come on, it's VERY loud. I think that could use a little work. It worries me how much those will be on in the summer (sort of defeats the purpose of a quiet EV).
They used to be worse. Tesla worked at lowering the sound but it's just the way it is...(at a cost)

Friend tailing me tonight said the tail lights (not brake lights, tail lights) were bright (as in, too bright). Probably LED artifact.

I put an electric sticker right on the third tail without any measurable drop in brightness.

Headlights -- still evaluating them. I still think they're underpowered. With them fogging up, it's hard to get a good read.

They are weak.
The accelerator mapping ... well, I think Tesla engineers NAILED IT.
I have such a hard time explaining this to people and even tried to tell Nissan, and Think, and Volt people how they need to duplicate Tesla's amazing job here.
I've hit the wiper lever on accident twice now while pulling my hand away from the radio (adjusting the volume).
And it's 'on" is in the opposite direction of every other car I've ever had so the wife would always get a big kick out of me just making it worse when trying to turn it off.

They used to be worse. Tesla worked at lowering the sound but it's just the way it is...(at a cost)

Even "funnier" -- I've noticed they sometimes can't make up their mind. They'll shut off and 1 second turn back on and 2 seconds later shut off again. Or increase in speed, and decrease, and increase. While the car is sitting idle. Sounds like the thermostat's a bit touchy.

I can understand "fan noise" but I'm getting some additional noise with it -- and I'm not sure if it's the A/C or if the fans aren't balanced right or what.. but it's more of a circular vibrational noise than just fan noise. Is that in line with your experience?

That may be the coolant pump circulating the coolant back to the battery pack.
It is working hard to make sure your battery lasts (calendar lifespan) as long as possible.

I can understand "fan noise" but I'm getting some additional noise with it -- and I'm not sure if it's the A/C or if the fans aren't balanced right or what.. but it's more of a circular vibrational noise than just fan noise. Is that in line with your experience?

There are the front fans and as TEG says, a pump running the fluid through the lines (some are noisy) Others have a particularly loud overflow tank but that's just dumb luck in the way the fluid hits the tank inner wall. There are also fans in the PEM and for the motor. Takes a while to get a feel for them all.

Of course you may have a problem. Hard to say from here in CA.

I suppose if my head were screwed on straight, I'd realize I should just take a video + sound of it when it happens and post it so you can hear what I'm talking about ... :)

Here's a couple videos to demonstrate. Definitely seems like the crazy noise is from the A/C. The fans seem fine (balanced) -- just can spin really fast and make a lot of noise but those are nothing compared to the A/C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxmHErkrGmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kq_g5oqaN4

Hard to tell just how loud from a camera recording, but it does seem like it sounds louder than I remember.
And yes, I think the A/C compressor is under where you were pointing (between the fans and the windshield.)
Yes, I think it is normal for them to come on, particularly if you plug in on a hot day after a "spirited" drive.
It would probably be a very big job to replace the A/C compressor, so I hope it ends up being acceptable to you or quiets down on its' own.

I listened to that as well. What a racket! But the problem is that there is no reference sound to judge just how loud that is. The gain on the mic might have been all the way up. In fact, when you spoke at the end of the second video, the sound of the fan diminished a great deal.

To get an idea of just how loud this sound is, I suggest making a reference sound. Get away from the car and grab a wrench. Tap gently on a metallic item so we can get an idea of how loud that is. Then, when the fan is running, tap a similar metallic item in view of the camera. Then we can have an idea of how loud that is.

I remember when I test drove, I was disappointed that the cooling fan broke the silence of the silent electric engine... but I don't remember it being that loud!

For whatever it's worth, that's about how loud mine is for the first 30 minutes or so of charging.

Yes, if you charge at 70 amps in warm temperatures, the cooling fans are incredibly loud. The car makes more noise charging than it does driving.

I never hear any nasty buzzing sound like that video indicated. Maybe it's an older version of the car?

Yes, if you charge at 70 amps in warm temperatures, the cooling fans are incredibly loud. The car makes more noise charging than it does driving.

I never hear any nasty buzzing sound like that video indicated. Maybe it's an older version of the car?

It's 40 amps at about 55 degrees F. The fans at full speed are indeed loud, but I've come to realize it's not the fans that I'm worried about (which don't always run full-speed) -- just the buzzing of the A/C, which is also very loud while seated inside the car (as heard in one of the videos).

This is a new Roadster 2.5. I'll also ask my sales rep the next time I see him.

I've uploaded some reference audio -- other sounds the car makes which should be more familiar. Especially compare full-speed interior fan to the sound of the A/C while sitting inside the car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbKH0wRtsEs
Note also that the speed of the A/C is apparently variable as well (can be heard in the videos).

And thanks everyone for their input!

The A/C compressor is very loud and the metal coolant tubes amplify the buzzing sound throughout the car. I complained when I first got my 2010 Roadster (now 13 months ago) and was told this was "normal". I think Tesla should have used a better A/C compressor. My Lexus also uses an electric compressor and it is MUCH quieter than the Tesla one.