Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S85D and Tesla life at 50K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really funny that this six-week-old thread woke up again. I'm guessing people found it via an email listing trending posts on TMC that went out today.

Anyways, my S has another 2000 miles on the odometer since I wrote the first post, not much new to report. :) It's great seeing all the stories from other happy owners...keep em coming.

Bruce.

Those S85D battery packs were / are doing amazing. I sold my S85D in March 2017 with 53k+ miles and it was at 261 miles range at 100% when I sold it to a fellow forum member.

Here’s to hoping my S100D at 52,000 miles today keeps on trucking just as strong.

I assume that I picked my S85 up a few months before yours (October 2014). Unfortunately, by 35,000 miles I had many more mechanical issues including:

Door handles replaced: 4
MCU Replace: 1
Drive units replaced: 1
Battery pack failure and replacement: 1
Changing system repaired, replaced: 3

I couldn't stomach the idea of paying for those components and repairs without a warranty. So, as the 4 year anniversary approached, I moved back to an ICE; a lovely BMW X4M. I can honestly say that while I loved the Tesla experience, I don't miss my S. I hope that you have continued success with yours but seriously consider getting the extended warranty.

J

Found myself agreeing with most of this. Will never drive ICE again.

Puzzled that you get +/- 315 kWh/mi. My classic S85, a year older than yours, turned over 88,000 miles on the way home tonight. Lifetime average energy consumption is 286 kWh/mi. One interesting point is that it was more like 290 after a year, and keeps getting better.

I assume that I picked my S85 up a few months before yours (October 2014). Unfortunately, by 35,000 miles I had many more mechanical issues including:

Door handles replaced: 4
MCU Replace: 1
Drive units replaced: 1
Battery pack failure and replacement: 1
Changing system repaired, replaced: 3

I couldn't stomach the idea of paying for those components and repairs without a warranty. So, as the 4 year anniversary approached, I moved back to an ICE; a lovely BMW X4M. I can honestly say that while I loved the Tesla experience, I don't miss my S. I hope that you have continued success with yours but seriously consider getting the extended warranty.

J
Unfortunately, some 2014 and earlier cars had these problems. Tesla fixed them all under warranty and cars from 2015 have been much better.

@mspohr & @Jeff65 - Not to hijack this thread, but slightly off-topic.......since we have a CPO 2014 P85 just turning 35k mi.....wondering about the resolved problems/issues discussed here since we have no history prior to our ownership (we were *told* that it was an in-house Tesla loaner). What symptoms should we look for if the MCU needs to be replaced? Or if the changing system (what is this??) needs repair/replace? Please feel free to pm us so as to not deter from the subject of this thread

@mspohr & @Jeff65 - Not to hijack this thread, but slightly off-topic.......since we have a CPO 2014 P85 just turning 35k mi.....wondering about the resolved problems/issues discussed here since we have no history prior to our ownership (we were *told* that it was an in-house Tesla loaner). What symptoms should we look for if the MCU needs to be replaced? Or if the changing system (what is this??) needs repair/replace? Please feel free to pm us so as to not deter from the subject of this thread
Some things may have been replaced. Tesla would know.
Only thing to watch for is a "milling" sound from the drive train. The other things just fail (or not). I wouldn't worry, even these common problems are rare and covered under warranty.

I'm just as happy with my S85D as the OP is.
Just over 130.000km/82.000miles in Europe. And it has been pushed to its limits in every sense...

It has been far more reliable than any Merc/BMW/Audi I have driven before with a much lower total cost of ownership.

Thanks to Tesla.
Thanks to TMC.
Thanks to Service Center The Hague.

2016 P90D X Ludricous
45000 miles, 2 sets of tires
(Well, I have had it to the drags some--smoked quite a few trailer queen race cars, particularly in the 1/8 mile)
Love it!
Ran it out of gas--er, electricity once
When main battery was out, 12 V battery was also dead, so car was "locked up" and couldn't put it in tow mode.
Tesla Roadside had to put it on sliders to get it on the flatbed, then take it 2 miles to the supercharger.
At the supercharger, there was a tab in the supercharger socket that came up with the dead 12 V so the supercharger couldn't be plugged in until the 12 V battery was charged.
#1 Why does the 12 V battery fully discharge when the main battery is discharged? Seems the 12 V should retain charge. (Design flaw?)
#2 Why does this tab come up to prevent supercharger engagement when the 12V battery is dead?

2016 P90D X Ludricous
45000 miles, 2 sets of tires
(Well, I have had it to the drags some--smoked quite a few trailer queen race cars, particularly in the 1/8 mile)
Love it!
Ran it out of gas--er, electricity once
When main battery was out, 12 V battery was also dead, so car was "locked up" and couldn't put it in tow mode.
Tesla Roadside had to put it on sliders to get it on the flatbed, then take it 2 miles to the supercharger.
At the supercharger, there was a tab in the supercharger socket that came up with the dead 12 V so the supercharger couldn't be plugged in until the 12 V battery was charged.
#1 Why does the 12 V battery fully discharge when the main battery is discharged? Seems the 12 V should retain charge. (Design flaw?)
#2 Why does this tab come up to prevent supercharger engagement when the 12V battery is dead?
12v battery runs computers, etc all the time and needs to be periodically recharged from the main battery pack. If the main pack is dead, the 12v won't recharge and will die also.
You can jump charge the 12v to get the cars systems running.

I charge my 2014MS P85 same as bmah. Got car with 37K a year ago now has 61K. Have loved every mile. Does not get old. DIYed a NEMA 14-50 at our NH home and our VT vacation home. Use SCs on the long trips. Max charge was 259 miles when got car. Now is 258 to 259. Also charge at work with NEMA 6-50. Had a 2010 Prius. It was indeed the gateway drug to Tesla. Had all 4 door handles changed, leak in sunroof gasket andreplace steering bolts under recall. Everything else was typical service or interior upgrade to refresh center console. My advice is don't do the console upgrade. Every time I get in I smile, relax and gooooooo. Never gets old.

My facelift 90D -16 has 46 600 miles on the odometer. The battery lost around 5% of it's capacity along the way.

Four new door handles, drive shaft vibrations that can't be fixed it seems, one swaybar replaced, front corrected to help fix annoying vibrations at speed and now the windscreen washing system doesn't work.

Actually tried to get back to the ICE-world but the BMW 5 series was just too boring and slow. I just couldn't do it even if I thought I wanted to. Now I'm waiting on a new 100D instead!

My 2015 85D has 68,000 miles. Charges to 262. I have a lot of long trip experience. The 2nd week I owned the car I drove from Philly to San Fran and back, on a northern route. Repeated the trip in 2017 through the center of the US (Rt 66) and just did a Philly to Ark for a Family gathering. Also, lots of trips up and down the east coast. As you might suspect, I am retired and like to drive my MS.

Only a few mechanical problems. The 12 volt battery died early on and recently the steering wheel gets stuck to the up tilt position, which is easy to fix. My big problem has been bent aluminum skin. The car was side swiped and I have dinged all the corners as I park a lot in parking garages that seem to be made for small cars. All repairs have been excellent at the Tesla approved shop.

I have always told people "this is the best car ever made". However, I bought a Model 3 for my lady and after driving it, I knew the S has to go. A family member will take it over. The S drivers seat and console is not a good fit. In my previous car, a Corvette, it fit like a glove. I get that same feeling in the M3. Plus, the M3 has quicker steering and better over the hood visibility, plus, it is smaller. I also look forward to not having to hold my parking garage transponder out the window to open the gate. The MS has so much anti radiation in the windshield it would not work.

I ordered my own M3, dual motor, and it is ready for delivery. Should have it in a few weeks.

drive shaft vibrations that can't be fixed it seems
Well that's odd, I'd be surprised if a half shaft caused noticeable vibration unless it was bent or a bad CV joint. Most vibrations are from tires/wheel balance. Occasionally brake rotors, but that'd be felt more while pressing the brake. I had an annoying cyclic noise, not loud, changed a front wheel bearing (wrong side) then put the one I took out onto the other side and it was fixed. Car drives as quiet as day 1 now. OT, but couldn't help myself.

Well, the vibrations only comes during strong acceleration and in "normal" or higher on the air suspension. In "low" the vibrations are not too bad.

Almost every Model X and most P-models suffer from this it seems so I guess it must be an issue in the US as well? Or maybe driveshaft is the wrong word for what I'm trying to describe? My english isn't the best.