Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My take on mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any range implications?

Don't believe the people that say mudflaps won't reduce the range. At highway speeds they certainly will. Of course if you never drive more than short freeway trips it may never matter to you but I think of my Model 3 as a tactical road trip weapon. I had a blast road tripping to Montana last summer and, yes, at the speeds I was traveling, mud flaps would have noticeably impacted range (and therefore charge times). This won't bother some people but don't believe those who tell you it's too small to matter to everyone.

I drive a lot of really bad mountain roads in the winter with snow, slush wet leaves, sand and gravel and I didn't see a problem other than the rocker panels get just as dirty as any other car I've had in the past.

My $0.02 solution? Just wax your dang car periodically, the dirt will hose right off! I use a quality carnauba wax. It stays good through multiple washings and hosings. I get more leaves on my car from the ones that fall off trees than any stuck on due to lack of mud flaps. I love the way this car slices through the atmosphere at higher speeds. It's magic! The last thing I want are four mud flap vortices swirling behind the wheel wells messing the smooth slipstream up. That's why most cars don't automatically come with mud flaps.

My car is not a garage queen, it's a road warrior! It doesn't need no stinking mud flaps, LOL!

Don't believe the people that say mudflaps won't reduce the range. At highway speeds they certainly will. Of course if you never drive more than short freeway trips it may never matter to you but I think of my Model 3 as a tactical road trip weapon. I had a blast road tripping to Montana last summer and, yes, at the speeds I was traveling, mud flaps would have noticeably impacted range (and therefore charge times). This won't bother some people but don't believe those who tell you it's too small to matter to everyone.

I drive a lot of really bad mountain roads in the winter with snow, slush wet leaves, sand and gravel and I didn't see a problem other than the rocker panels get just as dirty as any other car I've had in the past.

My $0.02 solution? Just wax your dang car periodically, the dirt will hose right off! I use a quality carnauba wax. It stays good through multiple washings and hosings. I get more leaves on my car from the ones that fall off trees than any stuck on due to lack of mud flaps. I love the way this car slices through the atmosphere at higher speeds. It's magic! The last thing I want are four mud flap vortices swirling behind the wheel wells messing the smooth slipstream up. That's why most cars don't automatically come with mud flaps.

My car is not a garage queen, it's a road warrior! It doesn't need no stinking mud flaps, LOL!

didn't someone test this and it wa about 1watt/km?

didn't someone test this and it wa about 1watt/km?

It depends upon the speed and the accuracy of testing. That sounds a bit optimistic at the speeds I like to drive but it's probably in the ballpark. Every loss is additive too. So, if you have a rack or other accessories, extra cargo weight, headwinds, etc. it adds up.

No, not the end of the world but I guess I'm saying my car isn't going to be improved by mudflaps, it will be degraded and, IMO, for no good reason.

To each their own though.

Reactions: Fiddler
looks like you are buying the plastic ones? buy the rubber ones!

they look the same? Got a link?

My daily driven car is ppf and ceramic coated. But I’m an enthusiast detailer, neurotic about my paint, weekly washes...even in the winter if temps are above freezing lol. If the guards get me by a little longer before having to wash in the winter..that’s my goal. Having a clean black car with white salt spray on the lower doors and rockers bugs me. I can assure you I’m typically anti mud flap lol...but theres also no arguing that Tesla’s paint is not the greatest. Look at the black paint wrong and it swirls. And that hole in the fender behind the front tires? It’s an endless pit to collect sand/salt/gravel lol...that you can’t really rinse out unless you take the lower rockers off.

My daily driven car is ppf and ceramic coated. But I’m an enthusiast detailer, neurotic about my paint, weekly washes...even in the winter if temps are above freezing lol. If the guards get me by a little longer before having to wash in the winter..that’s my goal. Having a clean black car with white salt spray on the lower doors and rockers bugs me.

Well, I like to take good care of my cars too - but like I said, my car ain't no Garage Queen!

I can assure you I’m typically anti mud flap lol...but theres also no arguing that Tesla’s paint is not the greatest. Look at the black paint wrong and it swirls.

There's no arguing that Tesla paint isn't "the greatest"? LOL! First time you've bought a new black car? I don't know how this rumor started but there's no substance to it. Tesla uses the same type of modern high quality, low VOC polyurethane automotive paint used by other car makers. There is no difference. At first the rumor that got endlessly repeated was that the Model 3 had "thin" paint, much thinner than other comparable cars. So an Internet slueth invested $200 in a paint film thickness measuring device that is widely used in the auto industry to detect cars that have been in a crash and repainted, etc. (I believe it uses ultrasonics to measure distance from the top coat to the base metal). He measured a random mix of new Model 3's sitting at delivery centers and a bunch of BMW's Audi's, Ford's, Cadillac's etc.

Guess what? Model 3's had slightly thicker than average paint than other new cars. BMW's were the thinnest. I don't have a link to the video but you can Google it. Paint thickness is not a measure of quality and Tesla did NOT skimp on paint quality. It would be a stupid move.

Ask professional Lyft driver Jim, the owner of a 2018 Model 3 named "Dauntless", someone who drives high mileage (68,000 miles in only 15 months) what he has to say about the paint quality:

How many miles do you have on yours? What matters is how it holds up over time.

And that hole in the fender behind the front tires? It’s an endless pit to collect sand/salt/gravel lol...that you can’t really rinse out unless you take the lower rockers off.

I agree with you there. I've had the same problem due to the filthy roads I regularly drive on. And I bet cars coming off the production line now have that hole filled in. Tesla improves and updates their cars faster than any other automaker, even making multiple small improvements in one model year (as they get feedback from their service techs out in the field who have seen it all).

At age 56 my wife and I have been through a few new cars (we tend to keep our cars anywhere between 11 and 19 years) and the two Model 3' are aging with the best of them (previous best was a 2000 MY Volvo S80 made in Sweden). I know black paint shows paint swirls like no one's business (and the deeper the paint, the more apparent the swirls will be). Our 2010 F-150 is deep blue with a pretty thick clear coat and shows swirls like no one's business. Our 1993 VW was white so it didn't show swirls easily but the paint lost its gloss in about 6-8 years. It looked chalky white (in other words, absolutely awful) after that and regular waxing didn't prevent it. But a car is not a museum piece and shouldn't be treated like one (unless you are not going to drive it in the real world). It's a tool meant to do a task and the Model 3 is built with high-quality materials to go the distance and that includes the paint. The Pearl White paint on both my wife's Model 3 and my Model 3 Performance still look gorgeous after over 30K combined miles. There are a few small rock chips on the front facia but we've never had a new car that didn't develop those within a few months. I think your expectations are unrealistic.

Well, I like to take good care of my cars too - but like I said, my car ain't no Garage Queen!

There's no arguing that Tesla paint isn't "the greatest"? LOL! First time you've bought a new black car? I don't know how this rumor started but there's no substance to it. Tesla uses the same type of modern high quality, low VOC polyurethane automotive paint used by other car makers. There is no difference. At first the rumor that got endlessly repeated was that the Model 3 had "thin" paint, much thinner than other comparable cars. So an Internet slueth invested $200 in a paint film thickness measuring device that is widely used in the auto industry to detect cars that have been in a crash and repainted, etc. (I believe it uses ultrasonics to measure distance from the top coat to the base metal). He measured a random mix of new Model 3's sitting at delivery centers and a bunch of BMW's Audi's, Ford's, Cadillac's etc.

Guess what? Model 3's had slightly thicker than average paint than other new cars. BMW's were the thinnest. I don't have a link to the video but you can Google it. Paint thickness is not a measure of quality and Tesla did NOT skimp on paint quality. It would be a stupid move.

Ask professional Lyft driver Jim, the owner of a 2018 Model 3 named "Dauntless", someone who drives high mileage (68,000 miles in only 15 months) what he has to say about the paint quality:

How many miles do you have on yours? What matters is how it holds up over time.

I agree with you there. I've had the same problem due to the filthy roads I regularly drive on. And I bet cars coming off the production line now have that hole filled in. Tesla improves and updates their cars faster than any other automaker, even making multiple small improvements in one model year (as they get feedback from their service techs out in the field who have seen it all).

At age 56 my wife and I have been through a few new cars (we tend to keep our cars anywhere between 11 and 19 years) and the two Model 3' are aging with the best of them (previous best was a 2000 MY Volvo S80 made in Sweden). I know black paint shows paint swirls like no one's business (and the deeper the paint, the more apparent the swirls will be). Our 2010 F-150 is deep blue with a pretty thick clear coat and shows swirls like no one's business. Our 1993 VW was white so it didn't show swirls easily but the paint lost its gloss in about 6-8 years. It looked chalky white (in other words, absolutely awful) after that and regular waxing didn't prevent it. But a car is not a museum piece and shouldn't be treated like one (unless you are not going to drive it in the real world). It's a tool meant to do a task and the Model 3 is built with high-quality materials to go the distance and that includes the paint. The Pearl White paint on both my wife's Model 3 and my Model 3 Performance still look gorgeous after over 30K combined miles. There are a few small rock chips on the front facia but we've never had a new car that didn't develop those within a few months. I think your expectations are unrealistic.

Lol. this is absolutely not my first black car. My black 335i was pristine when I sold it after 10 yrs. In fact my neighbor who’s a car guy always commented on how clean and well kept it was...also daily driver that I auto-x, tracked etc. There’s clean black and then there’s swirl free black..which is what I’m referring to as pristine. Huge difference when you have an eye for detailing. Tesla paint might be thicker I’ve never measured it...but it’s not very Hard IMO. Reason I say that is that it doesn’t take nearly the same amount to polish and correct as it did other black cars I’ve owned. Requires less abrasive compound and less abrasive polishing pads IMO to correct. That also means that it develops micro swirls easier. I find it chips easier than my other black cars as well. Which is why I added ppf to the lower part of the front doors....already had full front 1/4, rockers and behind rear wheels done immediately after taking delivery. I’ve got 16k on my Tesla no issues with my paint, other than skimpy coverage in the door jams and rear trunk brackets.

Black Doesn’t need to be a garage queen to keep it pristine. But requires some work. Protection helps decrease that work...ie ppf, ceramic coat, and in relation to this thread...mud guards.

edit: actually I do have one issue. The area behind my rear wheels...where they didn’t ppf...is sandblasted. That’s not dirt..it was never this bad on my other black cars....especially after only 16k
6DDEB4D5-C359-4FB7-A954-5BFFEB7BB207.jpeg

Last edited:
edit: actually I do have one issue. The area behind my rear wheels...where they didn’t ppf...is sandblasted. That’s not dirt..it was never this bad on my other black cars....especially after only 16k
View attachment 479589

It looks like even the area they *did* apply PPF is sandblasted! Maybe that's because the Model 3 has awesome torque compared to a less powerful gas car. Micro-slipping of the rear wheels under strong acceleration will be more effective at picking up sand and small pieces of gravel and ejecting it.

It does make me wonder why someone who wants to protect the appearance of their new car in every possible way would hire someone to cover the entire car with protection film except the area that is most exposed to a powerful stream of ejected road debris?

It looks like even the area they *did* apply PPF is sandblasted! Maybe that's because the Model 3 has awesome torque compared to a less powerful gas car. Micro-slipping of the rear wheels under strong acceleration will be more effective at picking up sand and small pieces of gravel and ejecting it.

It does make me wonder why someone who wants to protect the appearance of their new car in every possible way would hire someone to cover the entire car with protection film except the area that is most exposed to a powerful stream of ejected road debris?

Thanks for your input. I did pay to have THAT area covered. If I were to do it again. I’d make sure it was better applied in that area. Something I didn’t think would be this bad at the time. But what’s done is done. It’s such a small area I’m not about to repaint my whole rear bumper because of it. It’s honestly not as noticeable IRL....looks worse in the picture. And yes the ppf has taken a beating...if were to pull it off paint would be perfect under it. So imo it has done its job...where it was applied lol.

Reactions: outdoors
33108BB7-0186-4483-9B84-19FE3DC0108D.jpeg
7C5598C9-9971-47FA-AD68-170711D536DA.jpeg
F972EE02-E1AD-41B0-A551-C296B3A75222.jpeg
4EEFAEC6-3C6E-4315-B244-A77EAC5AA712.jpeg
I’ve had 2 sets of the plastic molded mud flaps crack and break on me. I ordered the Rally Armor ones as soon as they were available for the Model 3 a few weeks ago. Been perfect! I’ve driven over speed bumps and one of them that previously cracked the Chinese molded ones. These are very high quality flexible polyurethane and flex when they hit. Photos below. Kinda pricey but well worth it in the weather I drive in during winter:

Reactions: android04
I’ve had 2 sets of the plastic molded mud flaps crack and break on me. I ordered the Rally Armor ones as soon as they were available for the Model 3 a few weeks ago. Been perfect! I’ve driven over speed bumps and one of them that previously cracked the Chinese molded ones. These are very high quality flexible polyurethane and flex when they hit. Photos below. Kinda pricey but well worth it in the weather I drive in during winter:

I read through the installation instructions. It appears that the rear wheel flaps are only attached at the top to the bracket. The bracket is held to the body only at the bottom of the bracket. I am just curious if there is any rattling (i see there are foam spacers). To me without it being held on to the body I would worry about the bracket and flaps rattling as the wind races past the car.

I read through the installation instructions. It appears that the rear wheel flaps are only attached at the top to the bracket. The bracket is held to the body only at the bottom of the bracket. I am just curious if there is any rattling (i see there are foam spacers). To me without it being held on to the body I would worry about the bracket and flaps rattling as the wind races past the car.
No rattling whatsoever for me. And I’ve driven at high speed, twisties in the mountains, snow, rain, etc. These have been used on serious rally cars for years (Subaru’s, etc) and I trust they’ve got them down to a science now.