Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model 3P @ 6 months - the HORROR!!! ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the seats - No doubt they won't be great on a track, but for everyday driving, comfort is the most important aspect for me and they absolutely ACE that test, as you said.

FWIW, my previous 2 vehicles were an Audi S4 and an Audi S6. Those seats' bolstering was better, but still not really adequate for track use, and neither was as comfortable in daily driving. Tradeoffs, as always.

Agreed 100%.
I get that feeling in my S all the time... hard to deny the Tesla smile.

Reactions: ColoradoFun
ZCD1 .. just wondering about your actual trip up north .. I live in the Detroit Metro area and love going up north but have been a little reluctant do to charging. Where did you charge on the way ? What are did you visit and how did you charge while there and how long were you there? Just wondering how to coordinate a trip up there and staying a few days .. any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Mike
I thought the car would map trips - they keep track pf Superchargers...

Well said. I couldn’t agree with you more about being the best car out there. It is such a joy to drive.

I will disagree on just three things:
- I really dislike the seats. Yes, they are EXTREMELY comfortable but the side support is just horrific for what this car is capable. I know I’m in the minority here but anyone who has owned a German performance sedan will have to agree. They are not suited for the performance version.
- The sound system is good, but not as good as my 2013 B&O S5. The bass is lacking at higher volumes and I constantly need to adjust the volume to hear as the speeds increase.
- The handling is incredible, no doubt. Certainly on par with my prior stock M3s and S5. Still, I think it rides too “squishy” in quick maneuvers. Coilovers are going to be an investment for me.

A few other things like low tech mobile phone integration and no factory black package would be nice (and a way to get more money from me if offered).

But all in all, extremely reliable for me too. First vehicle I’ve taken out “just for the thrill of driving” in quite a long time. The nitpicks above are personal and not everyone will agree (obviously).
Automatic speed volume control should be a really easy enhancement! Can’t figure why Tesla has not done it. They drop the volume when a door is opened, why can’t they adjust it based on speed!

As predicted by the many Tesla naysayers, mine has been an absolutely horrific ownership experience thus far (@ 5K miles):

-Not a single issue or problem to bitch about.
-The car is both faster AND smarter than the day I bought it.
-Musk said it would be faster around a track than an M3, and he was proven right!
-Handling is similar to the top-spec European competitors, though the retail price is 20+% lower than any of them.
-The audio system is among the best I've heard in any vehicle, despite no brand name on any of the components.
-Front seats are amazingly comfortable.
-SO smooth and quiet.
-Fantastic visibility - hood drops away dramatically, and the fenders lend it a 911-like view of the road.
-Road-tripped 400 miles to Northern Michigan today, and the 2 Supercharging stops required less than 25 minutes in total. I lunched during the first stop and did my grocery-shopping during the second. 6:50 door-to-door including the stops, or just about on par with the time generally required in our ICE vehicles..
-The "limited" auto-pilot function makes long-distance highway driving much less fatiguing.
-Zero maintenance required - now or really ever.
-It feels like it was hewn from a solid steel ingot.

AND, it's more fun to drive than any car I've ever owned.

enhance

Horrific, indeed. ;-)

We've had similar horrible experience! Hate this car to pieces! :p:p:p Even my wife hates it a great deal too! Plus it's a dog in terms of acceleration . . .
Screenshot_20190328-221013_dragy.jpg

It's absolutely horrible. I have nothing to complain or whine about on the blogs.

I would like to see a software update where they add an automatic volume control to the sound system. There is at least one microphone inside the car; surely that can be used to monitor interior ambient noise (from road, tire, wind noise) and then adjust volume accordingly.

A311BCB9-2B7D-4E0C-93EB-8ED57CDC01B8.jpeg
As predicted by the many Tesla naysayers, mine has been an absolutely horrific ownership experience thus far (@ 5K miles):

-Musk said it would be faster around a track than an M3, and he was proven right!
-Handling is similar to the top-spec European competitors, though the retail price is 20+% lower than any of them.
-The audio system is among the best I've heard in any vehicle, despite no brand name on any of the components.
-SO smooth and quiet.
-Fantastic visibility - hood drops away dramatically, and the fenders lend it a 911-like view of the road.
-Road-tripped 400 miles to Northern Michigan today, and the 2 Supercharging stops required less than 25 minutes in total. I lunched during the first stop and did my grocery-shopping during the second. 6:50 door-to-door including the stops, or just about on par with the time generally required in our ICE vehicles..
-The "limited" auto-pilot function makes long-distance highway driving much less fatiguing.

enhance

Horrific, indeed. ;-)

Same here!

-SO smooth and quiet.

Horrific, indeed. ;-)

This is pretty much my experience as well. No issues or problems. Obviously, driving details differ. The only thing in your post that does not apply to me is that my Model 3 is not the most fun car to drive that I've owned. Or even #2. The most fun car to drive I've ever owned was the Zap Xebra. It was a rattletrap and unsafe and had almost no power at all and was by every objective standard a total piece of sh!t. But it was the most fun car to drive I've ever owned or driven. Next was the Roadster. That car was really fun to drive as well.

But the Model 3 is far and away the most comfortable, and with EAP it's the least stressful car to drive. Overall, the best car on the road, in my opinion.

Nice to see folks have had no problems. Picked my M3P up after thanksgiving now have 9.5k miles on it.

Front hood was misaligned very noticeably.

Interior cloth had dirty finger marks at delivery.

2 weeks after delivery discovered wrong rear drive unit was installed. Given a Model S loaner for 3 weeks while I waited.

Driver seat had movement that you’d feel with every acceleration or deceleration. They finally replaced the seat after multiple service visits and several months of waiting.

Reported I was missing a push-clip tab that I discovered was missing after installing new LED’s in the foot wells. Several trips to service centers and visits still waiting on that. I’m ready to steal it from a display car.

I wonder what else is wrong with the car that I can’t see.

Love the car and want them to succeed but they need to fix the service delays and improve quality control.

ZCD1 .. just wondering about your actual trip up north .. I live in the Detroit Metro area and love going up north but have been a little reluctant do to charging. Where did you charge on the way ? What are did you visit and how did you charge while there and how long were you there? Just wondering how to coordinate a trip up there and staying a few days .. any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Mike

I checked Tesla’s route planner before the trip so I knew what to expect and where I’d stop. Drove from Libertyville IL to near Petoskey MI, stopping in St. Joseph and Big Rapids.

St Joseph Superchargers are located at a small strip center where I had lunch while the car was charging. There are 4 restaurant options and the car was finished charging even before I finished my meal. I could have left after 15 minutes but it took me 20 to eat and visit the restroom.

Big Rapids Superchargers are located next to a Meijer and I did my grocery shopping for my stay while the car charged. Again, it took longer to shop than it did for the car to be ready to continue the trip.

I arrived with 28% LOC, whereas I would have been fine arriving at 10%.

There are also Superchargers in Gaylord, plus at least 3 destination chargers in Petoskey if I’d needed them.

There’s a 220V 30 amp charging socket at my destination so I topped up overnight as I slept after I arrived, just as I do at home.

Easy trip.

Quiet, really..? You must blast that stereo pretty loud. Most road noise of any vehicle I have ever owned (even my Camry Hybrid was quieter)... but I typically 'drive quiet' (i.e. stereo low or off).

I don't find the road noise excessive in this car. I think you are just able to hear road noise (tire and wind) now since it is not drowned out by engine and exhaust noise. You can try adding a bunch of sound deadening material but it is expensive.

Well said. I couldn’t agree with you more about being the best car out there. It is such a joy to drive.

I will disagree on just three things:
- I really dislike the seats. Yes, they are EXTREMELY comfortable but the side support is just horrific for what this car is capable. I know I’m in the minority here but anyone who has owned a German performance sedan will have to agree. They are not suited for the performance version.
- The sound system is good, but not as good as my 2013 B&O S5. The bass is lacking at higher volumes and I constantly need to adjust the volume to hear as the speeds increase.
- The handling is incredible, no doubt. Certainly on par with my prior stock M3s and S5. Still, I think it rides too “squishy” in quick maneuvers. Coilovers are going to be an investment for me.

A few other things like low tech mobile phone integration and no factory black package would be nice (and a way to get more money from me if offered).

But all in all, extremely reliable for me too. First vehicle I’ve taken out “just for the thrill of driving” in quite a long time. The nitpicks above are personal and not everyone will agree (obviously).
Agreed. I have a Prius daily driver because of my work distance. But I drive my model 3 so much! Any excuse I have to drive I do it. It handles excellent! Just wished regular models have track mode but otherwise it corners better than the bmw I had.

-SO smooth and quiet.

enhance

Horrific, indeed. ;-)

Wow, what beautiful wheels too! Please advise of brand, size, fitment issues (fender rub at full lock, etc.?)

Thanks!

Quiet, really..? You must blast that stereo pretty loud. Most road noise of any vehicle I have ever owned (even my Camry Hybrid was quieter)... but I typically 'drive quiet' (i.e. stereo low or off).

I find that the road noise is extremely surface-dependent. Concrete is loud, and textured concrete even louder. Asphalt/blacktop is much quieter and can even be all but silent depending on the surface smoothness.