Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My questions are can you turn off the NAV?

Also other than the driver door can the other handles be set to open if the car is off?

Can you set the car to keep running if you exit it like to get my mail at the mailbox at the street?

Otherwise I'm really pleased with this car.

Last edited:
My questions are can you turn off the NAV?

Also other than the driver door can the other handles be set to open if the car is off?

Can you set the car to keep running if you exit it like to get my mail at the mailbox at the street?

Otherwise I'm really pleased with this car.
I'm probably not the best one to answer as I'm not sure what all has changed between my 2015 and 2021 but if it's the same...

-What do you want displayed instead of the nav?

-There should be a setting for "driver's handle only" or something like that which if you turn off should have all handles present.

-What exactly do you want to "keep running"?

I'm probably not the best one to answer as I'm not sure what all has changed between my 2015 and 2021 but if it's the same...

-What do you want displayed instead of the nav?

-There should be a setting for "driver's handle only" or something like that which if you turn off should have all handles present.

-What exactly do you want to "keep running"?
I'd prefer just the music channels.
I almost never use the Nav on my cars as I know where I'm going usually.

What I mean by running is that if I step out of the car it turns car off after a very short time even if I don't close the door.
Then I have to re apply the little car on the console for it to start again.
In my BMW if you put it in park you can get out then get back in without having to restart it.

What I mean by running is that if I step out of the car it turns car off after a very short time even if I don't close the door.
Then I have to re apply the little car on the console for it to stat again.
In my BMW if you put it in park you can get out then get back in without having to restart it.
On mine, I can get the music section up partway on the screen, but it only lists more channels and there's still some map displayed. The only way to not have the map on the screen at all would be to have the car settings page up instead.

Also on mine, there's not much for "running" or "not running"... When I get in the car I can shift into drive and go, and when I stop, put it in Park and get out... The radio, HVAC, etc tends to just fire up as soon as I open a door to get in and stay on until I've at least left the car and shut the doors... So I'm not sure what else I'd want "running". But I do have climate, dog and camp modes depending on things you might possibly want to have on for an extended period of time while not necessarily in the car...
I'm not sure what "reapply the little car on the console" is... That sounds like something new...

On mine, I can get the music section up partway on the screen, but it only lists more channels and there's still some map displayed. The only way to not have the map on the screen at all would be to have the car settings page up instead.

Also on mine, there's not much for "running" or "not running"... When I get in the car I can shift into drive and go, and when I stop, put it in Park and get out... The radio, HVAC, etc tends to just fire up as soon as I open a door to get in and stay on until I've at least left the car and shut the doors... So I'm not sure what else I'd want "running". But I do have climate, dog and camp modes depending on things you might possibly want to have on for an extended period of time while not necessarily in the car...
I'm not sure what "reapply the little car on the console" is... That sounds like something new...
The car came with 2 credit card like keys and a little model of the S
You push down on it and it clicks.

This here that I 2 way taped to a cut down key with ring that I could put on my key chain.
For me this little car thing could be easy to lose.
I don't want to have just it in my pocket and credit cards are also awkward.
I prefer a transponder on my key chain.
Now when I start the car by putting it on the console I can put my keys away in the door pocket or cup holder.

Then I have to re apply the little car on the console for it to start again.
There's no concept of "keeping the car running" on a Tesla. As soon as you get in, you can drive after putting the car in gear.

Same as leaving the car - the opposite - put the car in neutral and leave. That's it.

Reactions: Excaliber
The car came with 2 credit card like keys and a little model of the S
You push down on it and it clicks.

This here that I 2 way taped to a cut down key with ring that I could put on my key chain.
For me this little car thing could be easy to lose.
Now when I start the car by putting it on the console I can put my keys away in the door pocket or cup holder.

Hmm, I just keep my key in my pocket so I don't need to worry about where it is... If it's like mine it should have 3 buttons, front for frunk, middle for doors and back for hatch/charge port depending on how you use it.
Are you saying you want to leave the key in the cupholder, but the car won't detect it there? If it doesn't work there, I'd question if the battery is weak...

There's no concept of "keeping the car running" on a Tesla. As soon as you get in, you can drive after putting the car in gear.

Same as leaving the car - the opposite - put the car in neutral and leave. That's it.

Not on the Plaid.
You have to put the little car or credit card on the console or it won't start.
It even gives you a message to do that.
No matter if I put it in neutral or Park even with the door open it still goes Car Off within a few seconds like maybe 10.
I suppose it's not a big deal but not going Car Off if I just step out to get the mail would be nice

Last edited:
Reactions: tesltoronto
Hmm, I just keep my key in my pocket so I don't need to worry about where it is... If it's like mine it should have 3 buttons, front for frunk, middle for doors and back for hatch/charge port depending on how you use it.
Are you saying you want to leave the key in the cupholder, but the car won't detect it there? If it doesn't work there, I'd question if the battery is weak...
I have the Plaid and my car says I have to put the little car or the credit card key on the upsloping part of the console for it to start.
The fob has no buttons for opening doors like most other cars.
It would be nice if the car had a regular transponder with lock unlock buttons you could keep in your pocket that it would sense.