Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide: New Long Range Model S or used Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I have a new SLR order, set to be delivered this month. In the meantime, I found a 2021 Plaid with 41.5k miles on it at the local Carmax. It looks and drives great and has FSD with it.
For those that have had more experience, or both, or either. What would you recommend? Thanks!

Hi all. I have a new SLR order, set to be delivered this month. In the meantime, I found a 2021 Plaid with 41.5k miles on it at the local Carmax. It looks and drives great and has FSD with it.
For those that have had more experience, or both, or either. What would you recommend? Thanks!
41.5k miles is a lot of pulls...Unless it's cheaper, I'd go with the new LR.

2021 will give you USS, but you won't get the moving screen, matrix lights, new roof glass, HW4, or ability to play Steam games.

The Plaid is way faster, obviously, and if it's one of the unicorn Plaids with the wood interior, that would be a win, but I find the CF Plaid interior significantly cheaper looking/feeling.

LR will be better alone just for the new head and tail lights. The old tail lights have a terribly outdated look now.

New glass roof is a downgrade imo and likely cost cutting measure by Tesla.

USS is of debatable value.

Its a few thousand cheaper. I think it also has wood interior, and the round steering wheel.
Pretty nice combo. I prefer the Yoke, but I would have likely purchased a Plaid if it still came in wood.

I just think you have to look at the list and consider what is important. HW4 could be a big deal if you intend to use FSD. I don't think the moving screen or the ability to play Steam are big at all, but some may.

Is there a difference after the refresh? I cant find when the refresh happened for that model year. The performance is unreal, as expected.
I really dont care all that much about the screen moving or playing games in the car.
The refresh started late 2021, anything Plaid or LR will be and you will know by the horizontal screen vs. vertical.

After that there have updates like I listed previously.

Late Feb 2022- Steam/moving screen
April 2022?- new headlights, taillights
Early 2023- New roof, HW4

That's probably not 100% accurate, but close.

Reactions: morbidz
Pretty nice combo. I prefer the Yoke, but I would have likely purchased a Plaid if it still came in wood.

I just think you have to look at the list and consider what is important. HW4 could be a big deal if you intend to use FSD. I don't think the moving screen or the ability to play Steam are big at all, but some may.
The wood is incredibly classy and really elevates the interior imo. Way better than the cf.

Reactions: AMPd and uscbucsfan
41.5k miles is a lot of pulls...Unless it's cheaper, I'd go with the new LR.

2021 will give you USS, but you won't get the moving screen, matrix lights, new roof glass, HW4, or ability to play Steam games.

The Plaid is way faster, obviously, and if it's one of the unicorn Plaids with the wood interior, that would be a win, but I find the CF Plaid interior significantly cheaper looking/feeling.
This!

Do you used. This is my first EV and I'm not looking for deals. I'm looking for what makes me happy and that's a new Plaid with Track Pack, adjustable camber arms, fully Xpel'ed and top shelf forged wheels.
Let me know if I can be assist with the fully forged wheels and adjustable camber arms part ;)
20231015_172544-2.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

-Danny

Reactions: MrSlowEv