Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S "Stalled" today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S, Signature
Firmware v8.1 (2018.24.1 12dd099)

While doing chores I visited the Post Office to deposit a letter. This branch had a drive-by, and due to my elite skills, I missed the post box and the letter dropped to the ground. I placed the car in Park, unbuckled my seat belt, cracked open the door, leaned out to grab the letter and placed it in the post box. I then returned to sit upright, closed the door and attached my seat belt.

My driver's display now stated "Car Off", and it "Could not start again without powering off".
  • I used the center display to Lock and Unlock the car. Nothing
  • I opened and closed the door. Nothing.
I had to physically exit the car, lock and unlock the door and then re-enter before the car would allow me to drive away. Much to the amusement of the three cars waiting behind me, observing this "high technology" car of the future.

I think the car was confused with my half-butt-in-the-seat-open-the-door-but-not-get-out maneuver.

PS: I still have the music "Load Error".

• Funny
Reactions: Langhorne
Ridiculous and not at all intuitive. Why should you have to click the key fob while you are sitting in the car? If the key's in the car you should be able to put the car in drive without having to jump through any hoops.
Because we use our butt as part of the systems activation/deactivation process of starting/stopping unlike most cars. And he did an odd thing with his butt while having the door open!o_O It is also possible that he didn't remember to put the car in park while rocking his butt off the seat initially. Either way, double click, an easy remedy to an unusual event where the car needed additional input to insure a safe restart.