Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Service Experience: 3 out of 5 stars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking the car home I noticed a few things within the first 24 hrs. Nothing I would consider major. Things any manufacturer can potentially miss. But items that should be accepted and addressed through an initial service appointment.
  1. Ventilation couldn’t be aimed on driver side higher than chest height.
  2. Rear passenger door didn’t close as easily as others. Required slightly more force or wouldn’t close completely
  3. Defect in paint job on rear bumper near rear passenger wheel well (see images)
So I decided to book a service appointment. Did it through the app. Listed the defects. Found a day I could spare the time. All good.

Following the service request I also started hearing ticking noise when the fan came near the hood. Not sure if it was related to the ventilation system or the compressor etc. so figured I’d mention it when I got there.

The following is my service experience so far... as I’m still in the waiting room waiting for my car. This is at the Toronto Lawrence service center.
  1. Ventilation - service person tried to convince me it was working as designed. Had to take him to the floor model to prove to him it’s not. After which he asked “do you really want to aim the vent high enough to hit your face?”... Um, yes I should have the option to do that if I want to bud!
  2. Rear passenger door - rep said sometimes it just gets better over time with use. I insisted that no... it’s misaligned. As every person that uses that door fails to close it right the first time. And only that door. They did end up attempting to realign the latch. Let’s see if it improves.
  3. Paint defect - they said they can’t accept it since it’s been over 100km and 24 hours since delivery. Note that when I picked up the car, after I asked the delivery person whether he will walk me through the car inside and out. He insisted they already went through a thorough inspection before I got there. No need. And that I can bring it back if I find anything wrong. Not mentioning the 24 hour limit for paint defects. And I can watch YouTube videos to figure features out myself. Is that what they tell everyone? Curious. Anyway, luckily I had taken pictures of the defect within 24 hours. So they then apologized and agreed to address. They offered to pay for body work if I take it to a shop to fix. Or they order and paint a new bumper. Latter option please and thank you, despite them saying they have no idea when the part will be available and ready for installation.
As for the fan noise. Of course it wasn’t reproducible when I needed to prove it. Even though it was doing it all weekend. And every person I showed the cat to asked what the noise was. So I may need to bring it back on a hotter day.

Overall not impressed with their insistence to avoid fixing any issues. Left a bad taste after enjoying the first two weeks driving an overall awesome new car despite the minor defects.

My advise:
  • Do a thorough walkthrough of finish especially when you pickup the car no matter how much the delivery rep insists it’s all good.
  • Take pics of all issues as soon as you encounter them with timestamp and schedule the service ASAP
  • Get ready to debate with the service staff when you bring it in. Because they don’t like fixing or admitting to issues if they don’t have to.
Will comment on this thread with an update later after I receive the car.

Attachments

• 64AE1647-6D00-47B8-B524-1D28812F2041.jpeg
    64AE1647-6D00-47B8-B524-1D28812F2041.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 1E620A7D-1AA2-4AB5-8A40-8AF61FBF49B6.jpeg
    1E620A7D-1AA2-4AB5-8A40-8AF61FBF49B6.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and N5329K
I don't know if your car door situation is related to the latching or not but a number of new owners have had doors that require a firm close. Mine took a bit of effort initially too. At least from what others have said and in my case the explanation was that the door seals were still rather firm and once they got broken in with use they would become more flexible and the door would close easier. I found this to be the case and so did others.

Reactions: batthis