Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla was Broken into - Dash Cam Footage Leads to Arrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So happy to hear this! Good for you. That's why I installed one.

Model S install is about as easy as it gets. If you're interested, PM me and I'll shoot directions over. I have posted them in another thread. But in the interest of not clogging up threads, just PM me. Or look for it...

I do have question for @fiksegts: what micro SD are you using? I have heard that many are not compatible and I want to put a 128 in mine, as I have the 650 dualcam.

Thanks!
I don't know how to PM you - and there may be others interested in your answer.
I have seen so many dash cam videos where this evidence has saved your bacon..that I too want to install a dash cam. What I have not got clear is What camera system to install, who does it, .....It seems like a Tesla would have forward facing camera on all the time (while underway) that could be recorded. It seems like that camera could be activated while parked to provide break-in evidence.
What is a good brand, what is a brand to avoid? any advice????

I don't know how to PM you - and there may be others interested in your answer.
I have seen so many dash cam videos where this evidence has saved your bacon..that I too want to install a dash cam. What I have not got clear is What camera system to install, who does it, .....It seems like a Tesla would have forward facing camera on all the time (while underway) that could be recorded. It seems like that camera could be activated while parked to provide break-in evidence.
What is a good brand, what is a brand to avoid? any advice????

You need to search these forums--many threads on dashcams, who likes what, how to install. On the S, there is usually always on 12v power under the grille for the microphones in the headliner. Many of us use Blackvue units, some dual front-rear dashcams. The TM forward facing camera is part of the Mobileye auto-pilot system and not accessible for use.

I use the Blackvue 650 GW dual cam. Yes, they can be set to always be on, based on motion, based on vibration. I have mine set to always on. They pull minimal power when the car is off and record at a lower frame rate to save power and memory.
Thanks. I may install a system on my current car. I expect that many, many miles will be uneventful. But you need only ONE - right?