Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review dash cam footage in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First: If you don't honk the horn or, in any of the non-obvious ways, save the clip, it's going to go to oblivion. (And you have to have the honk-the-horn setting turned on: Check the Safety panel.)

Once you've done that, you can relax.

Next: Hit the triple-dot icon at the bottom of the screen. One of the many icons that pop up will be Dashcam. Tap on that.

It has a list of all the save clicks under a triple-dash (hamburger). Find the one you want, tap it. There's four cameras, front, left, right, and rear. One of them will be selected and that'll cover the majority of the screen. There will be four small thumbnails on the screen, one for each camera, in each corner of the majority of the screen. One of them will be greyed out (the selected one), the other three will have color views. On the bottom of the dashcam window, there's the usual video recorder icons: A triangle that can be turned into a pause by tapping it, a timeline line and a dot that can be moved along it. It'll all be in color.

Finally, if the officer wants a copy, you'll have to get the desired video off the USB stick. So, in order:
  1. Tap the Red Recording icon at the top of the screen. It should save stuff and turn non-red.
  2. Reach into the glove box (assuming you've got the USB stick in the glove box, where it's been since 2021-ish; otherwise, it'll be down in the center console area, front wall), and unplug the USB stick.
  3. Put said USB stick into a computer of your choice. Explore the contents. There'll be a top level folder, a dashcam folder, and a sentry mode folder. Under the dashcam, there'll be directories with named dates and times. Pick the one with the date and time you want.
This is where it gets a little fuzzy. The videos I was recently exploring were all sentry mode videos. These tend to be in 2-minute long clips, timestamped, one mpeg each on each time for front, left, rear, and center, with a bunch of them in each folder, and a single .json file that, in the file, had the date, time, and reason (camera, door handle, etc.) that the sentry was triggered. I haven't explored the dashcam folder in that much detail, but I vaguely remember that one was named, "latest", and is presumably the one that is recorded while you're driving and gets overwritten eventually.

As it happens, last year was bombing down I-95 in Connecticut and got passed, normally, by a pickup truck towing a small tent camper. Nothing exciting, really, except the driver was going a bit faster than I was, would slow down on the uphills and go faster on the down. After he was a couple hundred yards in front of me in the left lane (I was in the center), he passed over a bump on the road, there was a small blast of dust, and the trailer, independent of the truck, zoomed from left to right in front of me and semi T-boned an innocent small SUV in the right lane, sticking there.

The lady driving the SUV did an admirable job, hitting the brakes and getting into the verge, barely under control, and managed not to (a) hit a light pole and (b) go over the edge of the raised embankment the road was on. The truck also pulled over and backed up; I pulled over and parked.

The lady was (understandably) in near hysterics, what with the adrenaline and all. I kept on telling her she did fine, the SO came over and aided and comforted, after dialing 9-1-1. The two truck inhabitants started messing with the trailer; I suspected that they might be getting ready to book it, so I whipped out my cell and started taking pictures of license plates all over, at which point they desisted. The tow chain was dragging on the ground on the car.

The State Police showed up in short order. The first one got my statement and went on to start doing paperwork with the two drivers. A second CT cop showed and walked up to me. As we were chatting, I said, "Hey! I should have a dashcam of all that!" The cop developed a big smile, said, "This is why I love Teslas!" and we walked back to the car.

After a couple of false starts, got the video playing. The cop took out his cell phone, recorded the video on it and thanked us.

After a bit, we were told we were free to go, and did so. A half-hour later the SO and I stopped for lunch, went to replay the video for our enjoyment - and it was gone. Overwritten, apparently. And (re) discovered that I hadn't hit the horn (with that option set, it gets recorded, permanently) or hit the red recording icon at the top of the screen which, I think, also saves the current clip.