Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wheel :'(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my dash damaged at the service center when in for the airbag recall. It was very frustrating to have to go back to get them to order a replacement and convince them they did it. They should have just said yes we made a mistake and we are taking care of it.

Service is the worst. They kept my car 5 days for an hour basic maintenance job (clean HVAC coils) and they put 40 miles on my car and left their fast food trash in my back seat. Call, text, leave voice mail, use the useless service app....I've tried them all and can't get a call back from a service manager at the Tyco Road, Tysons Corner, VA shop. They hide behind COVID and their app to avoid any culpability. If I were you I wouldn't sign any insurance papers for them until I got satisfaction....

Reactions: navychop
I went in for service on my 2020 performance to get my taillight replaced and front sensor replaced, after arriving back at my house. I noticed this.. I would of felt/heard something hitting my car on the way home that did this damage..View attachment 587994 View attachment 587993
Sorry to hear about the damage but sounds like from rest of thread it's being taken care of, so congrats. My concern is why you had to have taillight and front sensor replaced on a new vehicle?

Whenever I took my Audi to the dealer for service, they took pictures of the entire exterior of the car with a tablet as part of the check in process, even did this post Covid. It was to protect them from customer claims, but could be used to help the customer as well in the case of them damaging the car, or at least that is what they told me :).

Does Tesla do this at SCs? If not might be a best practice for them to start. In the meantime think I’ll take the recommendations to take my own picks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Whenever I took my Audi to the dealer for service, they took pictures of the entire exterior of the car with a tablet as part of the check in process, even did this post Covid. It was to protect them from customer claims, but could be used to help the customer as well in the case of them damaging the car, or at least that is what they told me :).

Does Tesla do this at SCs? If not might be a best practice for them to start. In the meantime think I’ll take the recommendations to take my own picks. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah I don't think they do this ... Its definitely my fault for not taking pictures.. I'm just glad they are replacing it anyways.

If I was the manager of an SC and one of the mechanics did this, he'd have to buy a new wheel or pack up. Absolutely no excuses.
You may have said that PRECISELY correctly. For some states.

I can tell you, and this is in my field of expertise, that he must sign a pay record checkage FOR THAT SPECIFIC EVENT AND AMOUNT or you CANNOT take the money from his pay. If you fire him, he may well file a complaint against you, with a good chance of winning. If this was in California, don’t even THINK of even MENTIONING he MIGHT want to pay for it. In CA, it’s pretty much “How much do you, the guilty evil employer, wish to pay for bothering us with this? I’ll bet it’s not as much as we’re going to hit you for.” As you walk in the door or the telephonic interview begins.

So. You’re “smart.” You’re “cunning.” You’re just going to get him to quit. Or not, but he’s “smart” too, and quits. And files a complaint of hostile working conditions, retaliation, defamation, interference with future employment and eating live Christian babies.

In some states, things like this are considered at employer risk. Best to pick good employees and keep them happy.

Last edited:
Service is the worst. They kept my car 5 days for an hour basic maintenance job (clean HVAC coils) and they put 40 miles on my car and left their fast food trash in my back seat. Call, text, leave voice mail, use the useless service app....I've tried them all and can't get a call back from a service manager at the Tyco Road, Tysons Corner, VA shop. They hide behind COVID and their app to avoid any culpability. If I were you I wouldn't sign any insurance papers for them until I got satisfaction....
Oh God. This is SO SIMILAR to what I’m going thru with them. First stop was five days and the only thing they did was take a dangling wire under the front pax door and put it back inside the door. Did the just stash it or did they correctly mount it? If it was a side crash detector, can I count on it working?

You may have said that PRECISELY correctly. For some states.

I can tell you, and this is in my field of expertise, that he must sign a pay record checkage FOR THAT SPECIFIC EVENT AND AMOUNT or you CANNOT take the money from his pay. If you fire him, he may well file a complaint against you, with a good chance of winning. If this was in California, don’t even THINK of even MENTIONING he MIGHT want to pay for it. In CA, it’s pretty much “How much do you, the guilty evil employer, wish to pay for bothering us with this? I’ll bet it’s not as much as we’re going to hit you for.” As you walk in the door or the telephonic interview begins.

So. You’re “smart.” You’re “cunning.” You’re just going to get him to quit. Or not, but he’s “smart” too, and quits. And files a complaint of hostile working conditions, retaliation, defamation, interference with future employment and eating live Christian babies.

In some states, things like this are considered at employer risk. Best to pick good employees and keep them happy.

I'm sure you're right about that, and I understand why there are protections for employees, but as usual, there will be those that will find some way to take advantage of the system. I know here in FL, people get fired for a lot less. I'll forgive mistakes, but the sloppy, no caring attitude I've witnessed at some dealers wouldn't fly. I'd be sure to have as much CCTV coverage as possible to back up any accusation. I agree about keeping employees happy, but they have to pull their weight and earn some of that. Where I work, you're being watched 24/7. Pull any kind of shenanigans that got recorded on video and you'll get a warning depending on the severity. If it's severe enough, you're gone!! You can try to sue after, but the team of company lawyers usually prevail.

Reactions: raggedy
I went in for service on my 2020 performance to get my taillight replaced and front sensor replaced, after arriving back at my house. I noticed this.. I would of felt/heard something hitting my car on the way home that did this damage..View attachment 587994 View attachment 587993
I always grab the service manager at time of drop off and complete a condition report. Simply walk around the vehicle and document any existing damage. At time of pickup, do the same thing. Any new damage while they had custody of the vehicle is on them. Same process as for a car rentals.

Reactions: john5520
I put new tires on a BMW I had before my tesla and when they gave the car back the rims were dirty with grease which i thought was pretty sloppy, after washing the car at home I discovered multiple rims had been scratched. The service center reviewed the video footage and saw the thechnician damage the rims, management confronted him about it, he said he didn't do it, he was fired. All 4 wheels were resurfaced to better condition than when I brought them in. So just to say it is valuable to have video footage of the shop by the shop, something I would recommend tesla do if the don't already.

Reactions: john5520
I took my Mini in for a recall service, they had taken over 30 photos! Of a Mini! Ended up costing them a roof repaint after they 3,500 psi pressure "washed" the clear coat off the roof. Now I take photos when dropping any car off with their location as a backdrop.

At the risk of playing devils advocate, I had something similar happen. Ended up with some curb rash and was rather surprised I wasn't aware of it when it happened. I know it was me who did it because a week prior I had picked it up from a body shop and did a thorough inspection and my wheel (that had just been replaced) was unmarred and perfect in every way. FF a week and no one has driven it but me, and I managed to scrape. I'm sure I know when it happened, was pulling up to an air pump that was mounted on a curve in the curb, and I was so ginger pulling in it just wasn't abrupt or loud enough to notice. It's really the only possibility for how it go there.

So it is possible that somehow you did manage to do this after the SC visit. No one can say for sure, and it's just as likely (in the absence of evidence) that the SC did it. I would definitely recommend doing thorough inspections anytime you take it back after relinquishing control. Doesn't help you in your situation, but may have prevented it from the start.